Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13yo to climb Everest?!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby Carl » Thu May 20, 2010 10:24 pm

winmag4582001 wrote:
DeTour wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:I'd let him attempt it ... safety would come first and no risk of life or limb would be taken.

I don't know how you can reconcile those two statements. By definition, climbing Everest is risking life and limb.

And so is playing in front of the house.

Unless your house sits somewhere like this, I think Everest is a little different.

Postby winmag4582001 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:00 am

I grew up in Milo, Iowa. At 13 I was independently operating farm equipment, bailing hay, moving cattle and working hogs. In the fall I would climb to the top of the grain elevator at CO-OP and walk the catwalk between the silos to pass time before unloading. At 16 dad helped me build a 11 sec car, at 18 I bought a FZR6 that I ran hwy 65/69 and 92 at 156mph daily. If it would have went faster, I would have drove faster. Any of which could have killed me at any second.

Our life experiences determine what we consider to be dangerous or risky. "Risk comes from not knowing what you are doing."- Warren Buffet

Also, My oldest son broke his arm when he crashed the 4wheeler at the Spanish Peaks last weekend. So this saturday I will be pulling my youngest son up Mt. Sherman on a sled. Hoping for no wind! LOL

Have a great weekend all!
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby Greenhouseguy » Fri May 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Looks like he made it:

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world-asia/20100521/AS.China.Everest.Boy/

Now go home and clean your room!
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby TomPierce » Fri May 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Good for him! Hopefully they made it back down safely. Everest, from the colder north route, by a 13 year old. Wow! Maybe my 80 year old dad should give it a go. :lol: Again, congrats to him. I bet he'll have no problem picking up older chicks now...you know, the 16 year olds. Ha!
-Tom

Postby PKelley » Sat May 22, 2010 3:25 am

That is wonderful for him! Hopefully he can internalize what he has done, and continue on a healthy path towards his goals. Congrats big time!
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby Flatland14er » Sat May 22, 2010 11:47 am

Congrats are in order for young Mr. Romero when he's safely at ABC, and not before then. But what an incredible accomplishment.

However, a bigger congrats should go to Apa, who also topped out today (for the 20th time) while on a mission to pick up garbage and clean up the mountain. That man is a machine.
The world can't weigh you down when you're standing on top of it!

Postby bblack99 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:31 pm

His "What I did on my summer vacation" story is going to crush everyone else's in his 8th grade class. Geez, pretty cool!

Postby Shawnee Bob » Sat May 22, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm just wondering what he does for an encore. I'm reminded of the Springsteen song "Glory Days," where everyone reliving their peak years in high school. Kis is 13, has climbed the highest peak in the world. I hope he hasn't peaked to early! Would be a shame to be looking back on your glory days at age 17, thinking "Well, it's all downhill from here."

Tongue in cheek, of course...
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

Postby crossfitter » Mon May 24, 2010 8:07 am

According to his SPOT, they made it back to ABC and are starting the trek back today/tomorrow.

http://edn1.esri.com/everest/Default.html
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby reinselc » Mon May 24, 2010 9:50 am

SoI have to be the one negative person on this thread, but man, a 13 year old on Everest? What are his parent's thinking? I have 2 sons and I would never let them do this. Its pretty much is a 5% chance you'll kill yourself, for what gain? I mean, yeah its cool and all, but this kid can't really be making these choices for himself. 6th graders wake up all the time and say I want to _______, its parents jobs to tell them they can't do a crazy stunt like this till they are older.

I don't think this is good for the kid either. He's basically become a vagabond, with no permanent schooling, friends, etc since he has been climbing and training pretty much year round for this and other climbs the last 3 years. I am not sure that is a good thing for a 10-13 year old to be doing, just exercising all day, its kinda creepy to me. But whatever. These "youngest" things have to stop before someone gets killed though.

Postby Scott Rogers » Mon May 24, 2010 10:25 am

reinselc wrote:I don't think this is good for the kid either. He's basically become a vagabond, with no permanent schooling, friends, etc since he has been climbing and training pretty much year round for this and other climbs the last 3 years. I am not sure that is a good thing for a 10-13 year old to be doing, just exercising all day, its kinda creepy to me. But whatever. These "youngest" things have to stop before someone gets killed though.

Thanks for breaking the ice on this. I have to agree with you. I have no argument that this isn't a great accomplishment. It is a great accomplishment. However, I feel that a 13 year old wouldn't typically have the maturity to understand the full depth of the situation. People put so much emphasis on these titles that are absolutely meaningless. The title of being "youngest" to climb something has no real worth and value... I see this everywhere though. The "youngest" to climb the 14ers, the "youngest" to climb Everest, the "youngest" CEO in the company's history. People have this need to put a title on something to feel accomplished. Isn't doing the thing good enough on its own? Maybe not anymore... People put further titles on things just to claim they have some sort of noteworthy accomplishment that deems them fit for recognition. On one article I read, it states that a few before, a woman from England became the "youngest, British, female" to summit Everest. Good for her for summitting, but why are all of these qualifications necessary for climbing a peak to be a good accomplishment? I argue that there is almost zero inherent value in climbing Everest anymore, it is mostly just a task inundated by meaningless titles that people fabricate to make themselves feel good. Do you really think people would go through all this nonsense on a less higher peak? No, because nobody would care. It frustrates me that so much emphasis is put on a peak because it is the "highest", and so much emphasis is put in an accomplishment because someone did it as the "youngest" or "first female". When assigning all these qualifying titles, we lose sight of why the peak is climbed in the first place...
We can't change the world, but we can change the way we live.

Postby cbauer10 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:36 am

Scott,

If you would have read any of the articles you would see that Jordan and his family care nothing about being the youngest to climb Everest or do any thing for that matter. That is a consequence of the digital age that we live in and the media making it a big deal. They just want to be successful and safe in this accomplishment.

Of course most would not care if it was not he highest point in the world. He has done so many things already and not many paid attention until he went for Everest. And he still has Vinson left. I bet less news is made when he finishes the 7 summits than Everest. Why are you on this site? Because you like to climb the highest peaks in Colorado. You wouldn't climb a lot of them probably if they weren't so high.

I am not saying that I am in full support of this, but if it is not something that you want your kids doing, then don't let them. There is no need to judge other people for what drives them. winmag4582001 makes a great point. There are many things that are dangerous in this world. This is one of them. Let people do what they have the free will to do. If this kid dies doing this, how will that effect you. Probably not that much. After a year you wouldn't even remember his name. Just let people experience this world and stop judging them for the choices they make to do with their lives.

PreviousNext