Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13yo to climb Everest?!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
User avatar
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:43 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby cwm191 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:04 pm

...plus a ascent on Nuptse which put them within 1000 feet of the summit. Sounds like he's got the experience to me...


Just to clarify, only the parents attempted Nuptse.
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. - Friedrich Schiller

The problem with quotes on the internet is there is no way to verify their accuracy. - Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:16 pm

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby ruincu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:56 pm

The thing that makes me mad is there are a lot of people who have the skills to climb everest but the money is so expensive. besides 3000 people have summited everest. Only around 300 people have made it to the top of K2 which has a 27% fatality rate. When the parents get him up there then I will be impressed cause almost anyone on this forum has the skills necessary to climb everest.

User avatar
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:52 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 pm

But I appreciate your feedback and concern for our youth but I have to go take my 12 year old skydiving.



Skydiving with your kids...is that a problem?
(Disclaimer-videographer should have turned off the camera after about 1:15)


User avatar
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:46 am
Location: Illinois

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby DeTour » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:32 pm

ruincu wrote:almost anyone on this forum has the skills necessary to climb everest.

I don't know much of anything about climbing high peaks like Everest, but I'm going to disagree with this anyway. (Hey, it's the Internet.) After just finishing Into Thin Air, I get the impression Everest requires a lot more than just endurance and strength. Maybe it's not the most technically challenging peak, but it still seems like climbing skill, the ability to conserve energy, good decision-making, etc. are required.

That said, Jordan Romero probably does have as much skill as a lot of people who summit Everest. But that's really not the point of objection. The point is, if young teenagers start climbing Everest -- and others will surely follow this one -- sooner or later a young teenager is going to die on Everest. It's inevitable. If an adult dies on Everest, we say, "he/she made a decision to take that risk." But we agree as a society, and pretty much every society worldwide agrees, that there are some decisions you don't allow kids that young to make. That's why 13-year-olds don't drive cars.

So maybe Jordan Romero is an exceptional 13-year-old. The article seems to conclude that in a thoughtful, balanced way. (Cheeseburglar, it's worth reading the entire thing.) But eventually some publicity-seeking "balloon boy" parents are going to try it with some kid who is unqualified and therefore severely at risk. How to you protect that child? I don't have answers, just doubts -- serious doubts.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

User avatar
Posts: 5033
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Craig

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby Scott P » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:26 pm

I don't think eating at Taco Bell is quite as dangerous as trying to summit a 29,000 ft. icy peak.


True. Surprisingly, Taco Bell is actually one of the most healthy fast food restaurants and one of the healthiest restaurants in general.

Now McDonalds on a regular basis without exercise, then yes that’s dangerous. It won’t kill you as fast as Everest, but it will still kill you.

Anyway, as said I wouldn’t take my kid to climb Everest. On the other hand, having a couch potato kid is even worse (especially when it gets passed down to his/her offspring).

cause almost anyone on this forum has the skills necessary to climb everest.


Yeah, that's why some of them have problems climbing the 14ers. :roll:
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

User avatar
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:17 pm
Location: Lakewood

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby JeffR » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:44 pm

DeTour wrote:That said, Jordan Romero probably does have as much skill as a lot of people who summit Everest. But that's really not the point of objection. The point is, if young teenagers start climbing Everest -- and others will surely follow this one -- sooner or later a young teenager is going to die on Everest. It's inevitable. If an adult dies on Everest, we say, "he/she made a decision to take that risk." But we agree as a society, and pretty much every society worldwide agrees, that there are some decisions you don't allow kids that young to make. That's why 13-year-olds don't drive cars.

I'm not clear on what exactly your point of objection is. Is it because it's a decision that he shouldn't make at his age? If so, I think his skills and experience certainly measure up enough for him to make an informed decision. Or is it because it's a decision that you think other kids his age will try to emulate? If so, it's up to their parents to either allow it or not (and it's not up to anyone else to say that Jordan shouldn't be a role model).
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"

User avatar
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:16 pm

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby ruincu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:54 pm

Ok well a lot of people have the skills on here to climb it. While yes the difficulty is in the elevation and lack of oxygen almost everyone here has the necessary skills. Hey if there is someone who made it up with prosthetic legs and someone who made it up blind... anyone who puts their mind to it could do it.

User avatar
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:34 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby JB99 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 pm

doubleA wrote:Hell, I might even try to be the first guy to climb Everest while simultaneously sitting on a couch. I better get my sherpas in training now......


Looks like this guy just beat you to it.

ruincu wrote:Ok well a lot of people have the skills on here to climb it. While yes the difficulty is in the elevation and lack of oxygen almost everyone here has the necessary skills. Hey if there is someone who made it up with prosthetic legs and someone who made it up blind... anyone who puts their mind to it could do it.


Sure, Erik Weihenmayer made it and he was blind so any regular person can do it, what an ignorant thought. You should meet the guy, he's not your average dude and his summit of Everest didn't make that mountain any easier to climb. http://www.touchthetop.com/about.htm

Tell me how easy it is after you get back from climbing it, hell, climb Cho Oyo sans oxygen and tell me how easy that was. It's "easier" than Everest and much less expensive so no excuses about needing $60k.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

User avatar
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:40 am
Location: SC

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby Euroclimber » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 am

We are all dying....it is just a matter of when. If everyone was to worry about if and maybe they could die doing a certain activity then we would all be locked away in our houses fearing to go outside! If this 13 year old wants to take on this challenge I say go for it....he seems to have the experience, I assume he knows the risks, why should anybody hold him back...there are far worst things teenagers do with there lifes these days...drugs, crime...etc.

Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:02 pm
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby utepasspro » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:24 pm

Euroclimber wrote:We are all dying....it is just a matter of when. If everyone was to worry about if and maybe they could die doing a certain activity then we would all be locked away in our houses fearing to go outside! If this 13 year old wants to take on this challenge I say go for it....he seems to have the experience, I assume he knows the risks, why should anybody hold him back...there are far worst things teenagers do with there lifes these days...drugs, crime...etc.


Absolutely--by that logic I should tell my 2 year old how dangerous playing on the freeway is then tell him to go do it--after all, he's been in a car before.
"There are three kinds of patriots, two bad, one good. The bad ones are the uncritical lovers and the loveless critics. Good patriots carry on a lover's quarrel with their country, a reflection of God's lover's quarrel with all the world.” - William Sloane Coffin

User avatar
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:16 pm

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby ruincu » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:57 pm

ruincu wrote:Ok well a lot of people have the skills on here to climb it. While yes the difficulty is in the elevation and lack of oxygen almost everyone here has the necessary skills. Hey if there is someone who made it up with prosthetic legs and someone who made it up blind... anyone who puts their mind to it could do it.


Sure, Erik Weihenmayer made it and he was blind so any regular person can do it, what an ignorant thought. You should meet the guy, he's not your average dude and his summit of Everest didn't make that mountain any easier to climb. http://www.touchthetop.com/about.htm

Tell me how easy it is after you get back from climbing it, hell, climb Cho Oyo sans oxygen and tell me how easy that was. It's "easier" than Everest and much less expensive so no excuses about needing $60k.[/quote]

Obviously you took what I said out of context. What I was saying is not that Erik Weihenmayer is your average guy what I am saying is that anyone can do something if they put their mind to it and I was using him as an example because who would have thought that someone who is blind would climb Everest. Next time I guess I need to be clearer. Sorry for not being clear enough on that lol.
utepasspro wrote:
Euroclimber wrote:We are all dying....it is just a matter of when. If everyone was to worry about if and maybe they could die doing a certain activity then we would all be locked away in our houses fearing to go outside! If this 13 year old wants to take on this challenge I say go for it....he seems to have the experience, I assume he knows the risks, why should anybody hold him back...there are far worst things teenagers do with there lifes these days...drugs, crime...etc.


Absolutely--by that logic I should tell my 2 year old how dangerous playing on the freeway is then tell him to go do it--after all, he's been in a car before.


If you read Deep Survival by Laurance Gonzales it really puts it in perspective. More people die each year in car accidents than climbing by far. Also accidents that happen aren't really accidents they are a series of events that lead up to something random but the start of that accident may have started 20 years before the thing even happened. If he has the skills necessary and has the money then by all means try it.

User avatar
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:46 am
Location: Illinois

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby DeTour » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:52 pm

JeffR wrote:
DeTour wrote:That said, Jordan Romero probably does have as much skill as a lot of people who summit Everest. But that's really not the point of objection. The point is, if young teenagers start climbing Everest -- and others will surely follow this one -- sooner or later a young teenager is going to die on Everest. It's inevitable. If an adult dies on Everest, we say, "he/she made a decision to take that risk." But we agree as a society, and pretty much every society worldwide agrees, that there are some decisions you don't allow kids that young to make. That's why 13-year-olds don't drive cars.

I'm not clear on what exactly your point of objection is. Is it because it's a decision that he shouldn't make at his age? If so, I think his skills and experience certainly measure up enough for him to make an informed decision. Or is it because it's a decision that you think other kids his age will try to emulate? If so, it's up to their parents to either allow it or not (and it's not up to anyone else to say that Jordan shouldn't be a role model).

How is it you guys can't understand that kids are kids? The fact that his climbing ability and experience exceeds that of some adults on Everest doesn't mean he should be up there. Every law that treats children differently than adults, either by affording them greater protection than adults, or denying them certain privileges (often for their protection) -- every time a parent invokes his/her authority over a child -- every rule enforced in a school system -- is based on the premise that children lack either the maturity, or experience, or both, required to make some decisions on their own. So it's not so much Jordan Romero deciding to climb Everest as it is his [adult] parents deciding to allow and support him. Therefore if he dies up there, the responsibility for the end of such an extraordinary young life is not on the deceased, but on the parents.

Now if he goes through with it, we all hope he returns safely. And if so, whether he summits or not, you can bet that another kid that age or younger will want to give it a shot. And sooner or later a kid who has no business being up there will die, and it will be the parents' fault. So we' have a new and creative way for idiot parents to abuse their children for their (the parents') 15 minutes of fame. Now hear me right: I'm not saying Jordan Romero's parents are idiot abusers. But you know the idiot abuser parents will show up eventually.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the fatality rate on Everest in the 5-10% range? I wouldn't willingly allow my 13-year-old to take that type of risk, no matter what the reward. (Maybe it's lower in recent years; I'm sure someone will be glad to let me know if so.) And the fact that a lot of kids engage in risky behavior against their parents' wishes doesn't justify allowing and encouraging risk-taking.

By the way, I'd like to know which of the posters in the "let him do it" club have children, and what age.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests