Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

13yo to climb Everest?!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby stlouishiker » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm 14 and wouldn't even consider climbing Everest. I do a ton of backpacking, hiking, and mountain biking in Missouri, but I have no experience at all in real climbing. Personally, I wouldn't have climbed Everest in seventh grade, but that's me (and I live in St. Louis which is about as far away from any big, snowy mountains as you can get). If he really is experienced and is sucessful when he attempts Everest, good for him. That picture of Nuptse look insane, if they could do that; they have the technical ablitity to do Everest, but doing a high-altitude expedition on Everest would require tons of endurance and stamina at high altitudes for a long period of time. I've biked 50 miles in a day, hiked 20 miles in a day, and gone on a 64 mile backpacking trips, but I wouldn't survive on Everest. I do hope that they do realize that being the youngest person up Everest isn't worth it if you die.

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:30 pm

stlouishiker wrote: ...but I wouldn't survive on Everest. ...

Sorry about picking and choosing your post but...
You probably would survive. I've done a lot of things that when I first thought about seemed impossible.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby stlouishiker » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:06 am

cheeseburglar wrote:
stlouishiker wrote: ...but I wouldn't survive on Everest. ...

Sorry about picking and choosing your post but...
You probably would survive. I've done a lot of things that when I first thought about seemed impossible.

Okay, maybe I would, but right now I won't. I've never worn crampons or touched an ice axe, but if I learned how to use them, I would probably survive. That was was typed in a if I was dropped off on Everest tomorrow kind of mindset, but I'm sure if I trained and learned about real mountaineering I'd be fine.

Postby Dave_W » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 am

Barry Raven wrote:It's another lame attempt for someone to gain fame. It's also called BAD PARENTING. If he dies, the parents should be held liable. If he doesn't die, they'll get some good earnings off of a book deal and possibly a movie. Money and fame are worth risking their own 13 year old kid. Sad indeed.

well said!

Postby utepasspro » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:03 am

I guess my primary beef is that this is simply a continuation of the notion that mountaineering is only about the summit. If his parents wanted him to actually become a good mountaineer then they would have him climbing in the Rockies, Cascades, whatever, for many years to come before they decided or he decided for himself that 28,000ft+ was a good place to be. This is summit bagging to the extreme and lousy parenting, however it might get spun. We all need a little failure in order to make good decisions whether in the mountains or elsewhere- and the death zone seems to me to be a pretty terrible place to get your first real taste of the proverbial hitting the fan. Don't know why people don't take more lessons from Viesturs' "No Shortcuts..." and actually digest the title, nevermind what's in the book itself.
"There are three kinds of patriots, two bad, one good. The bad ones are the uncritical lovers and the loveless critics. Good patriots carry on a lover's quarrel with their country, a reflection of God's lover's quarrel with all the world.” - William Sloane Coffin

Postby kaiman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:16 am

Did you guys read the article?

Quote from the first page:

They haven't wasted much time. When Jordan was ten, he and his folks climbed 19,340-foot Kilimanjaro (Africa), 7,310-foot Mount Kosciusko (Australia), and 18,510-foot Mount Elbrus (Europe). At 11, he set the age record on 22,834-foot Aconcagua (South America) and climbed 20,320-foot Denali (North America). Last year, he climbed Indonesia's 16,023-foot Carstensz Pyramid, the highest point in Oceania and the so-called "eighth" summit. That leaves Antarctica's 16,067-foot Vinson Massif and 29,035-foot Everest.

...plus a ascent on Nuptse which put them within 1000 feet of the summit. Sounds like he's got the experience to me...

I can see how some people may construe this as bad parenting, but they seem to be pretty open-minded to me... It's not like they are having him hide in the attic while the cops chase after a hot air balloon so they can get on another reality tv show :wink: It just seems like they are trying to be as supportive as possible of their son's interests. As Jordan's dad says later in the article if he wants to stop climbing and start playing basketball tomorrow they'll support him at that too.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick

Postby nomad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:38 am

Bad Parenting?
I do not mean to be rude to anyone but here are my thoughts....

Feeding your kids Mc Donald's, Taco Bell and KFC?
Allowing your kids to ride around in a car full of cigarette smoke, or live in a house with smokers?
Feeding them soft drinks like water?

or maybe allowing them to play football and smack the crap out of each other on a field which results in far more injuries to the body?

All of these are perfectly acceptable by our standards and we condone it, yet this kid has been mountaineering, meeting different cultures and learning about self discipline, as far as I am concerned his parents have done a fine job and if something was to happen to this young man it would be no different then force feeding your kids garbage food or slowly killing them with second hand smoke or encouraging them to smack each other as hard as they can so they get the ball past a line on a field and score points. And keep in mind we have parents that watch their children grow up to be athletes and produce fame and fortune as well with no issues, in fact many in our society look up to them.

I say climb on until he decides he doesn't want to any longer!

Once again, I do not mean to offend.....

All the best
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.

Postby jrbren_vt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:10 am

Someone is always trying to be the first or fill-in-the-blank-est this or that on Everest (an attraction because it in itself is a tallest), so it seems to me if he is successful and summits and inspires a new generation, there will be somebody next year trying to get their kid up who is younger still. 12 year old next year ? 5 year old in 2015 ? Pregnant woman climb in 2020 ? I would be in favor of age limit, I think Nepal has it right. If conditions do not permit an attempt one can always say, Everest will always be there. But that mantra goes away if you put an artificial time limit on your ascent like trying to be the youngest. Sounds like a very impressive kid, and also very privileged to have the means for the travel he has been able to do. In mountaineering experience terms he is not that young, he has some impressive trips to his "resume". On going without a guide, from what have read and seen on tv, the Everest trade routes have fixed ropes most of the the way up, so I assume they will have to use the lines set by other parties. At a minimum these ropes would mark the route. I would guess route finding will not be an issue. I think it is mainly an extreme endurance test, test of one's tolerance for risk (courage?), and test of one's ability to endure miserable weather conditions and thin air for several weeks. But I have never been on a mountain like that so this is all speculation on my part. I think they said they could not afford to pay a guide service. I find it curious he was able to secure corporate sponsors, but none of the professional guide services offered to take him up for a reduced rate, which would be good advertising for that guide service, if they thought it was a good idea. I find turning back on Nupste probably more impressive then his other summits, since it shows they have the good sense to turn back and not succomb to summit fever. Best wishes to them.
Best Regards - John

Postby doubleA » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:48 am

With enough oxygen and sherpas to help carry him up, he should do great!! Hell, I might even try to be the first guy to climb Everest while simultaneously sitting on a couch. I better get my sherpas in training now......

Postby mountainmicah83 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 pm

doubleA wrote:With enough oxygen and sherpas to help carry him up, he should do great!! Hell, I might even try to be the first guy to climb Everest while simultaneously sitting on a couch. I better get my sherpas in training now......

I think they are not using sherpas as they are doing a self guided trip. Good idea with the couch though.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby MtHurd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:34 pm

nomad wrote:Feeding your kids Mc Donald's, Taco Bell and KFC?
Allowing your kids to ride around in a car full of cigarette smoke, or live in a house with smokers?
Feeding them soft drinks like water?

or maybe allowing them to play football and smack the crap out of each other on a field which results in far more injuries to the body?

Apples and oranges. I don't think eating at Taco Bell is quite as dangerous as trying to summit a 29,000 ft. icy peak.

Postby nomad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:53 pm

Mr Raven my point is if we are so concerned about protecting our children from harm, that starts at home. I will stand by the fact that poor diet has killed more people then Everest ever has and and it was a simple illustration of poor parenting that is condoned on a daily basis. And yes I know more people eat fast food then climb everest but I am sure you get the point.
But I appreciate your feedback and concern for our youth but I have to go take my 12 year old skydiving.
Have a splendid day
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.

PreviousNext