Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CMC?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

CMC?

Postby davebks » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Hey all, I am going to join the Colorado Mountain Club. Are any of you members?? How is it?
I spoke with the Boulder Chairperson today and it sounds great!

Re: CMC?

Postby sstrauss » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:34 pm

Here......we.......go.......
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:38 pm

Yeah, this always gets interesting.....

I'm currently not a member but was for a few years. I found myself doing less and less with the club. The schools and the adventure travel trips are great and the cheapest you will probably find anywhere. It really depends on what you want out of the membership whether it winds up being worth it.

Postby davebks » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:44 pm

haha..did I open a can of worms here???
Anyway, its just that I have a serious time 1. finding friends to go do anything with anymore and 2. I really am trying to learn more and can't afford hiring a guide everytime I want to go out. None of my friends are very advanced in the alpine world so I really want to learn more about ice climbing/alpine anchors, etc. Seems like a good way to meet people and take some classes. Then I can go out with those people aside from the club... right?? :|

Postby sstrauss » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:23 pm

The first rule of the club is you don't talk about the club....
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:37 pm

Try it. You might like it. I know a couple of people from the Boulder club. They do some interesting things, but not always with the club.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby rlw49 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:45 pm

Do it! Fun times, great classes, can meet people. I rarely do anything with CMC anymore, but enjoyed all my past hikes and classes with them. If you don't like it, you're not tied in by a contract or anything.

Postby Steve Bonowski » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:53 pm

Dave: I think SStrauss is pulling your leg a bit. :D

I joined the CMC 27+ years ago and still thoroughly enjoy it. Was just out today teaching a snow skills class in the cold. If you join, the membership will become what you want it to be. Steve

Postby Adventurgal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:35 pm

I've been a member of CMC since 2005. IMO it's the best deal in town!

Not only do you meet some great like-minded adventuresome folks, their numerous programs such as BMS (basic mountaineering school), HAMS (high altitude mountaineering school), telemark school, avalanche rescue, etc. teach you safety and preparation, both by book and in the field. What continues to impress me about CMC is that the instructors are volunteers, yet certified and teach because they love it. That's dedication!!

The combination of CMC and 14ers.com helps me to be informed and prepared for the backcountry =D>

Postby OBC13 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:46 pm

I joined the CMC in 1988. I did Wilderness Trekking School 3 times with 3 of my kids. I also completed Basic Mountaineering School. These are good schools. I definitely recommend the CMC.
OBC13

Postby wasclywabbit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:07 pm

I was a member for awhile but let my membership lapse several years ago. I enjoyed it and met a lot of great folks, one of whom I've been dating for a while. The schools are a great value and an excellent opportunity to meet folks at your current skill level.

When I was a member there was some political junk going on that I didn't like but that may have passed by now.

Bottom line, join up, there's a great chance you'll really enjoy it.
Ad alta per aspera: To the summit through difficulties.

Postby pnolans » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 pm

davebks wrote:haha..did I open a can of worms here???
Anyway, its just that I have a serious time 1. finding friends to go do anything with anymore and 2. I really am trying to learn more and can't afford hiring a guide everytime I want to go out. None of my friends are very advanced in the alpine world so I really want to learn more about ice climbing/alpine anchors, etc. Seems like a good way to meet people and take some classes. Then I can go out with those people aside from the club... right?? :|

It's not as much fun as starting a pro-gun vs gun-control argument... but I think that was the gist: CMC vs. anti-CMC... old territory

I recently re-joined... after about a 10-year hiatus. No particular reason, to stay out, just didn't feel the need. But they have a lot of good training,
at reasonable prices.
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine

Next