Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby edhaman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:38 pm

"Killing Jesus" sounds interesting, although it is a little different from the Lincoln and Kennedy books, as the latter two are clearly and unambiguously historical figures. If you want to read a definitive book on the Kennedy assassination, try "Reclaiming History," by Vincent Bugliosi.

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:22 pm

I just started reading a book called "The Shaman's Toolkit" by Sandra Ingerman - so far I like it. :)

In a nutshell: "According to Sandra Ingerman and thousands of years of shamans before her, it is not what we do but who we are and what we are willing to become that affects our happiness, the health of our communities, and ultimately the planet itself. The Shaman’s Toolkit teaches us how to root out the beliefs that are limiting us, how to heal our inner lives and become the people we most want to be, and how to utilize ancient shamanic principles of manifestation to help shape the world we want to live in. This is shamanism with a kind of social change agenda. It’s about having the happiest and most fulfilling life possible and becoming a truly effective world citizen and change maker."

...Also just bought a book on Meteorology so I can understand it better.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Watching all of Breaking Bad over again while I wait for the final two weeks - noticing all the nuances in a different light...

Reading! Currently reading medicine labels and revisiting "Billy and the Boingers Bootleg" - one of my very favorite Bloom County editions. I also still have the insert vinyl record, their one and only single.

51CYSXKHNML._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Gaack!
51CYSXKHNML._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby jaymz » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:42 pm

"Along the Colorado Trail" by John Fielder and M. John Fayhee. Somewhere in the future, my 70-something year-old self is sitting somewhere near Kenosha Pass, rubbing his blistered feet with his arthritic hands, cussing out the 33 year-old me for reading this and putting a CT thru-hike on his bucket list.

Postby WarDamnPanic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:23 pm

Just finished "Savage Arena" by Joe Tasker, probably my favorite mountaineering book to date, he was an incredible writer. Check it out if you haven't read it

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:43 pm

A favorite author of mine:

Finders Keepers: A Tale of Archaeological Plunder and Obsession by Craig Childs

A great book about the antiquities of our ancestral Indians and the "industry" that steals them for profit. A great book for those of us that have admired the ancestral Pueblo Indians and their culture and architecture.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby jrs1965 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Today I just started reading "The White Spider." Heinrich Harrer recounting of his making the first ever ascent of the Eiger's north face.

Interesting man to say the least, he also wrote "Seven Years in Tibet." Terrible cheesy accent, but how cool is it to have Brad Pitt play you in the movie about your book...

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:57 pm

jrs1965 wrote:Today I just started reading "The White Spider." Heinrich Harrer recounting of his making the first ever ascent of the Eiger's north face.

Interesting man to say the least, he also wrote "Seven Years in Tibet." Terrible cheesy accent, but how cool is it to have Brad Pitt play you in the movie about your book...

Excellent choice. A good sequel to that book would be "The Climb Up to Hell," the tale of an ill-fated attempt on the north face that resulted in a body dangling from the cliffs for several weeks.

I just picked up "League of Denial" at Costco. It is the story of a few intrepid medical researchers who dared are the NFL's dirty laundry about brain trauma from the game.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby awon2zip » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:46 pm

For school I had some options one what i could read. The one I chose was In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, it's about the murder of the Clutter family in Holcomb, Kansas back in 1959. It's alright so far, has any one read this book and did you like it?

Postby Patinator » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:35 am

Just finished "Creating Climate Wealth: Unlocking The Impact Economy” (http://creatingclimatewealth.co/) a few days ago and met the author, Jigar Shah, last night. While it will be red meat for anyone in finance or a startup, it is a great perspective for tackling climate change not through the use of technological innovation, but business/financial model innovation.

Postby Jeff Valliere » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:53 am

"Emerald Mile" by Kevin Fedarko, a story about 3 river guides who in the summer of 1983, attempt to complete the fastest trip through the Grand Canyon as the Glen Canyon Dam was in full spillway release mode. I am about half way through, it is very good and getting much better (half the book is back story about the taming of the Colorado River, John Wesley Powell, the key characters, etc...). This is one of those books where I was hooked on the first page.
Last edited by Jeff Valliere on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jrs1965 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 am

Hungry Jack wrote:Excellent choice. A good sequel to that book would be "The Climb Up to Hell," the tale of an ill-fated attempt on the north face that resulted in a body dangling from the cliffs for several weeks.

Hungry Jack, the YouTube link here is the story of Tony Kurtz's 1936 fatal attempt of the Eiger. The video higlights portions of the book called "The Beckoning Silence" which I have not yet read.

"The Climb Up to Hell" sounds like a similiar story to Kurtz who was also left dangling from his rope on the Eiger after his death...

PreviousNext