Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby steelfrog » Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 am

Gerry Roach's Beyond the Seven Summits series. Excellent!!

Postby dehrlich101 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:52 am

Has anyone read "Race across the Sky" By Derek Sherman?

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Across-Sky-A-Novel/dp/0452299063
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby madbuck » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:11 am

Jim Davies wrote:I just finished Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts.... I assumed it was going to be a weak clone of "Wild", another in the growing "woman writes memoir of thru-hiking in California in the 90's" genre. Instead, I found myself liking it more than "Wild".

Missed this earlier but thanks, going to have to check it out!
I, too, was excited by "Wild" when it first came out, but not as enamored with aptly-named Strayed.

Postby MtnHub » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:41 am

madbuck wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:I just finished Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts.... I assumed it was going to be a weak clone of "Wild", another in the growing "woman writes memoir of thru-hiking in California in the 90's" genre. Instead, I found myself liking it more than "Wild".

Missed this earlier but thanks, going to have to check it out!
I, too, was excited by "Wild" when it first came out, but not as enamored with aptly-named Strayed.

I agree. While the writing about her trek (Wild) was interesting, I was not especially pleased with her character which seemed to me to be quite naive and borderline stupid.

For non-climbing, general fiction, I just finished Genova's Still Alice which is about a 50yo Harvard psychology professor's descent into early onset Alzheimer's. It's an excellent read, although is very difficult to get through emotionally in many ways. Kind of makes you wish for cancer or some other disease if you have to die young.

Some other of my favorite authors include Lisa Unger and Spencer-Fleming (thriller/mystery) and Elizabeth Berg (although I think her earlier books are better than her more recent ones.

Postby Mtnman200 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:44 pm

"The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes. History AND science... it doesn't get any better than that.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner

Postby jsdratm » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:55 pm

The complete works of H.P. Lovecraft. I'm about 60% of the way through and they are great stories. :)

Postby bonehead » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:16 am

More relevant than ever.

H.P. Lovecraft stories are classic.
Richard Rhodes book is right up my alley.

Postby dpage » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:17 am

A Poetic Inventory of Rocky Mountain National Park from Wolverine Farm Publishing here in Ft Collins. If I can't hike in Rocky I can at least read about the things that make up this place I love.

Postby boudreaux » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:31 am

Bleeding Kansas: Contested Liberty in the Civil War by Nicole Etcheson. What happened in Kansas many believe was the precursor to the Civil War.
Ragin Cajun

Postby Future Ruins » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:25 am

The Wiseman's Fear, second book in The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm not normally huge on fantasy series but this one is phenomenal.

Postby Future Ruins » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:29 am

njlinderer wrote:Perhaps this was already recommended but I just finished "Empire of the Summer Moon" by SC Gwynne. It's about the Comanche Indians and what happened when they met the westward expansion. Blew my mind how formidable the Comanche warriors on horseback were...true bad*sses. And some great under-told history as well.

This book was amazing. Highly recommended and not for the weak in the stomach.

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:28 am

I'm almost done with The Vast Unknown: America's First Ascent of Everest by Broughton Coburn. This book is a 50th-anniversary account of the 1963 American Everest expedition that put six climbers on the summit via two routes, notably the unprecedented West Ridge-South Col traverse by Hornbein and Unsoeld. I've read a lot of expedition-history type books, and this is one of the best, IMO. Well-written and interesting.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

PreviousNext