Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby LTbear » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:32 am

I just finished "The Abstract Wild" and loved it. Turner speaks on conservation much as I do - as largely failed in it's current arrangement and in drastic need of rethinking. He also has a very apparent passion for the subject matter, and is, as he would say, one of the unfortunately few nature writers who is a naturalist first and writer second, as opposed to the other way around.

I just started "The Spell of the Sensuous" by Abrams and "The Animal Manifesto" by Bekoff.

I read "The Tiger" a month ago and loved it for a change of pace.

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:33 pm

I recently finished reading "The Ledge" by Jim Davidson & Kevin Vaughan, which has been mentioned in this thread. Survival story from Rainier, circa 1992.
I could relate to several parts of the story in different ways, so in that way it was interesting for sure.

Currently reading, "s**t My Dad Says" by Justin Halpern. If you're a twitter fan (which I am not), you're probably already familiar with it.
Laugh out loud reading!

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:45 pm

I just started re-reading Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus Trilogy. I can't stop laughing! It's heady, disturbing, and hilarious.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby IAmtnclimber » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Just finished "Halfway to Heaven" by Mark Obmascik.

Postby KatieFinn » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Matt wrote:I just started re-reading Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus Trilogy. I can't stop laughing! It's heady, disturbing, and hilarious.

Matt, if your taste in books is as good as your taste in beers, I need to get my hands on this publication. :D

Postby oldschool » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Just finished Born to Run, am working on Joshua Slocum's book about sailing around the world solo in 1895, and also reading Royal Robbins book.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby jsdratm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I'm a bit late to the bandwagon, but enjoying the series :D

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:34 pm

Just finished Moby Dick (damn that book drags on) Finished the Savage Mountain. Now I'm doin a little Faulkner
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby OBC13 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:37 pm

Just finished Born to Run.
OBC13

Postby kimo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:49 pm

For many weeks I've been reading Craig Childs' The Animal Dialogues. I go a chapter at a time, one or two a week, trying to savor it because I know it will end. In the beginning of the book, Childs advises to read the book in parts, a chapter at a time, and not necessarily in order. And so I moved thru the book back and forth, like a kid rolling in the tall grass beneath a big blue sky. And now, just a few chapters before finishing, I'm really sad that this book is about to end. It may be the most enjoyable book I have read. Craig Childs is my hero, along with the birds, bears, and cougars...the jet pilot...and those crafty ravens who are plotting the end of the world.

Postby edhaman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:16 am

I just finished reading another worthless NOAA weather report. The NOAA website says there is currently a 4 mph wind at my location, when I'm actually getting blasted with 40 mph gusts. Maybe the government could save some money by eliminating NOAA.

Postby jaymz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:27 am

I just started Hemingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls," not because I'm a fan of Hemingway per se, but because I'm a fan of Metallica. :YY

PreviousNext