What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by oldschool »

Just finished Born to Run, am working on Joshua Slocum's book about sailing around the world solo in 1895, and also reading Royal Robbins book.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I'm a bit late to the bandwagon, but enjoying the series :D
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Just finished Moby Dick (damn that book drags on) Finished the Savage Mountain. Now I'm doin a little Faulkner
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
OBC13
14ers: 38 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBC13 »

Just finished Born to Run.
OBC13
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

For many weeks I've been reading Craig Childs' The Animal Dialogues. I go a chapter at a time, one or two a week, trying to savor it because I know it will end. In the beginning of the book, Childs advises to read the book in parts, a chapter at a time, and not necessarily in order. And so I moved thru the book back and forth, like a kid rolling in the tall grass beneath a big blue sky. And now, just a few chapters before finishing, I'm really sad that this book is about to end. It may be the most enjoyable book I have read. Craig Childs is my hero, along with the birds, bears, and cougars...the jet pilot...and those crafty ravens who are plotting the end of the world.
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

I just finished reading another worthless NOAA weather report. The NOAA website says there is currently a 4 mph wind at my location, when I'm actually getting blasted with 40 mph gusts. Maybe the government could save some money by eliminating NOAA.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I just started Hemingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls," not because I'm a fan of Hemingway per se, but because I'm a fan of Metallica. :YY
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
aaronmojica
14ers: 23  4 
13ers: 14 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aaronmojica »

How to Stay Alive in Avalanche Terrain
Samajax
14ers: 55 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Samajax »

I read posts from 14er.com while I'm at work and start counting the days until our summer climbs. The recent "odd snow year" reports from Capitol and Pyramid had me right up there with them, thanks.

As far as books go, I'm just about finished slogging my way through Infinite Jest/David Foster Wallace.
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

"How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

DeucesWild wrote:"How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.
:lol:

How's that working out for ya, Deuce?
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

sunny1 wrote:
DeucesWild wrote:"How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.
:lol:

How's that working out for ya, Deuce?
So far, I'm only through Chapter 1! To be honest, it seems like a bunch of horse apples (to use an expression from the ancient times this book was written) to me.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!