What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by geojed »

OH YEAH! Just came in the mail today. This is my kind of page turner! 8)
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Psychovertical, by Andy Kirkpatrick. Recommended by DaveSwink. I really enjoyed this and it's no wonder it won the Boardman-Tasker Award. The follow up, Cold Wars, was not as good but still an interesting read.

Colorado's Sangre de Cristo Mountains by Tom Wolf. Excellent reading if you, like me, are trying to figure out some of the history of this area. He didn't go into the Bacca Land Grants as much as I would have liked but he covers a lot ground. Good mix of science and history.

Does anyone know of other titles that cover the Sangre's?
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Finally, Centennial by James Michener. I know, it's 40 years old, but it is interesting. SJ Ron :)
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

klinger wrote:Image

New father? I Am familiar with that that title too. Little Hungry has been enjoying The Lorax lately, though I am not sure he fully grasps the significance of it quite yet. He's not quite 3.
please rotate your device
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

Sacred Summits: John Muir's Greatest Climbs; edited by Graham White.
John Muir was this country's most accomplished mountaineer for the latter part of the 19th century.
Numerous FA's to his credit, most of them solo.
He was into ultralight backpacking 100 years before the term was coined.
He was tough as a cob.
-km
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Gerry Roach's Beyond the Seven Summits series. Excellent!!
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Has anyone read "Race across the Sky" By Derek Sherman?

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Across-Sky-A ... 0452299063
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Jim Davies wrote:I just finished Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts.... I assumed it was going to be a weak clone of "Wild", another in the growing "woman writes memoir of thru-hiking in California in the 90's" genre. Instead, I found myself liking it more than "Wild".
Missed this earlier but thanks, going to have to check it out!
I, too, was excited by "Wild" when it first came out, but not as enamored with aptly-named Strayed.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

madbuck wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:I just finished Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts.... I assumed it was going to be a weak clone of "Wild", another in the growing "woman writes memoir of thru-hiking in California in the 90's" genre. Instead, I found myself liking it more than "Wild".
Missed this earlier but thanks, going to have to check it out!
I, too, was excited by "Wild" when it first came out, but not as enamored with aptly-named Strayed.
I agree. While the writing about her trek (Wild) was interesting, I was not especially pleased with her character which seemed to me to be quite naive and borderline stupid.

For non-climbing, general fiction, I just finished Genova's Still Alice which is about a 50yo Harvard psychology professor's descent into early onset Alzheimer's. It's an excellent read, although is very difficult to get through emotionally in many ways. Kind of makes you wish for cancer or some other disease if you have to die young.

Some other of my favorite authors include Lisa Unger and Spencer-Fleming (thriller/mystery) and Elizabeth Berg (although I think her earlier books are better than her more recent ones.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

"The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes. History AND science... it doesn't get any better than that.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

The complete works of H.P. Lovecraft. I'm about 60% of the way through and they are great stories. :)
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

More relevant than ever.

H.P. Lovecraft stories are classic.
Richard Rhodes book is right up my alley.