What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by rking007 »

ballackout wrote:First of all, this thread is dope. I picked up "Ultimate High" by Goran Kropp based on a suggestion here and it was awesome. That guy has some great stories (and is f'n crazy).

Anyway, I just finished reading "A Walk in the Sky" by Nicholas Clinch. It is about the first successful ascent of Hidden Peak (which was by an American expedition). Clinch wrote the book several years after the expedition but he tells an incredibly vivid and detailed story about their [essentially] flawless expedition.

Right now I'm reading "Annapurna", which is about the first successful ascent of an 8000m peak. It is by Maurice Herzog, but he had to dictate it to
someone due to losing his fingers to frostbite on the title climb. Im only 50 pages in but so far so good...
Isn't that guy nuts!? It's too bad he died because you can be sure he would have given a ton more great stories of his burly adventures.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

'Eat & Run' by ultramarathon champion and vegan Scott Jurek. It's his biography and cookbook wrapped up in one really good read.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Tory Wells wrote:'Eat & Run' by ultramarathon champion and vegan Scott Jurek. It's his biography and cookbook wrapped up in one really good read.
I just finished this book too. Scott writes with a warm, personal style and the book is full of insights into running hard and vegetarian/vegan eating.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Just a small prop for public libraries. Suits me as I'm not likely to buy and read a book multiple times, and or those whose "book money" is dibbed for textbooks or gear. Local example for me: Eighth edition of Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills? "Available. Would you like it sent to the branch nearest you?" Sweet! True, that book some may like to buy as reference, but I'm sure each has their own example of one-time-reads. Even if your local one doesn't have a title, ask about Inter-Library Loan. I picked one up recommended here via I-L.L. that came from, of all places, a theological seminary's collection. :shock: You can also search for books via http://www.worldcat.org/.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

+ 1 on the public libraries, great resource that many don't take advantage of.

I spent some time traveling last year and was reading a lot (not much else to do on trains, buses, sitting around), somewhere around 200 books throughout my trip. Many were from book exchanges at hostels or from fellow travelers, others were books that I've wanted to read for years and never got around to.

One of the books I read was Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Thought I would put a plug in for this book since I see they have now made it into a movie. This was my favorite read of the trip and one of the best books I've ever read. It's a very unique book that I couldn't put down, and I highly recommend reading it before Hollywood destroys it on the big screen :-D
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I just finished Great Expecatations, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:I just finished Great Expecatations, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.
I think you meant to say it wasn't as great as you had expected.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

TallGrass wrote:Just a small prop for public libraries. Suits me as I'm not likely to buy and read a book multiple times, and or those whose "book money" is dibbed for textbooks or gear. Local example for me: Eighth edition of Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills? "Available. Would you like it sent to the branch nearest you?" Sweet! True, that book some may like to buy as reference, but I'm sure each has their own example of one-time-reads. Even if your local one doesn't have a title, ask about Inter-Library Loan. I picked one up recommended here via I-L.L. that came from, of all places, a theological seminary's collection. :shock: You can also search for books via http://www.worldcat.org/.
There is also the American Alpine Club Library in Golden. It is in the lower level of the building with the Bradford-Washburn museum. They have all kinds of guidebooks available and general climbing info.
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Point North »

Brian Thomas wrote:TeeVee is dumb. TeeVee is for retards. Read more books \:D/
I burned my TeeVee when I was 17. Never had one since.

When I go home, I have supper and then read. Books are great. And if you use your local library, it doesn't cost you a cent.
J-RockandRockpile
Trip Reports (0)

Post by J-RockandRockpile »

Point North wrote:

When I go home, I have supper and then read. Books are great. And if you use your local library, it doesn't cost you a cent.
T.V. is dumb and watching programs on the History Channel, Nat Geo, Discovery and the Biography channels, where you can actually learn things is WAY stupid.

On a side note half way through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.... very cerebral.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Point North wrote:

I was anti-TV before it was cool.
Make wilderness less accessible.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Just read Psycho Vertical by Andy Kirkpatrick. The tension in his climbing stories is so intense I would get nauseous..... :shock: and then go back for more! I can't say his risk assessment matrix matches mine but his book is very exciting reading. Sorta like Joe Simpson's books, but with fewer disasters.