What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
litote312
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by litote312 »

12ersRule wrote:"The Sun also rises" by Hemingway. Reads like a series of Bonehead posts.
Well I'm sold... arriving in 2 days!
Don't bash each other; bash willows.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

"QB" by Steve Young. Either he or Jerry Rice is my favorite NFL player of all-time, so it was good to get his life history. I met him back in 1984 at this house in Provo that he was staying at over the summer. Watched Carl Lewis win the 100m final with him. Another life transforming event took place a few days prior to that. We were driving between Minnesota and Lake Powell, UT, and it was my first time ever in Colorado. It was an awesome sight seeing the Rockies for the very first time from I-76, a wall of mountains like I had never seen before. I spent my first 9 years in Redding, CA with Mt Shasta looming over, so I known big mountains, but that first view of the Rockies was truly transcendent.

Reading "The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama right now. Probably should've read that one a long time ago.

"AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" next in the queue.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

"AWOL" sounds interesting, David. Thanks for the suggestion!

My wife and I just watch the film, Tracks. After viewing it, I may need to find the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Tracks-Womans-Ac ... 0679762876

The movie was quite fascinating.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Truevine by Beth Macy. A nonfiction work about 2 albino African American brothers from a small town in Virginia who were either kidnapped or given away to a circus sideshow in the early 1900s in the Jim Crow south. Macy spent over 20 years researching this story. Even though I grew up in Roanoke, I had never heard the tale before.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher: The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis

Curtis is the source of many of the iconic photographs of Native Americans at the turn of the 19th century. Very cool stuff, with the stories to support the images.

"Edward Curtis was charismatic, handsome, a passionate mountaineer, and a famous portrait photographer, the Annie Leibovitz of his time. He moved in rarefied circles, a friend to presidents, vaudeville stars, leading thinkers. But when he was thirty-two years old, in 1900, he gave it all up to pursue his Great Idea: to capture on film the continent’s original inhabitants before the old ways disappeared."

https://play.google.com/store/books/det ... &gclsrc=ds
Bear's Belly curtis.jpg
Bear's Belly curtis.jpg (46.06 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Finished: Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey An American Heritage by Michael R. Veach
Started: The Milky Way An Insider's Guide by William H. Waller
Fabio 49
14ers: 17 
13ers: 33 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fabio 49 »

Currently working on the Longmire Series by Craig Johnson, currently on book #7 (A Serpent's Tooth)

The basis of the TV and Netflix series about a small-town Wyoming sheriff who runs his little mountain county with a bit of old west resolution. Based on Buffalo, Wyoming, which is in the foothills of the Bighorn Mountains.
"The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there." -Vince Lombardi-
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Three good ones lately:

The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko. Race to break the Grand Canyon boating speed record, against the backdrop of the damming of the West's great rivers and the birth of the national environmental movement.

The Girl Who Slept With God by Val Brelinski. Evangelical pregnancy whodunit.

The North Water by Ian McGuire. Psycho killer on a 19th Century whaling ship. Cormac McCarthy + Patrick O'Brian + Joseph Conrad.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

Smile, You're Traveling by Henry Rollins
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

The Jazz of Physics by Stephon Alexander. An interesting look at innovation and discovery in the field of physics.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. 30 year old book my wife got me as a gift in 2004 but never got around to reading it. Crazy story of one couples' search for and achievement of immortality that covers 1,000 years and skewers commerce and Christianity along the way. Dark humor and highly recommended. Next up True Summit by David Roberts about the first climb of an 8,000 meter peak in 1950. Only so much fiction I can take.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Scary Close by Donald Miller

Great book about the path towards true intimacy in relationships and how we as humans often feel the need to perform in order to get others to like us instead of truly being open and honest about who we are.

Also re-reading Bowerman and the Men of Oregon by Kenny Moore.

It's an awesome recap of an amazing journey for Bill Bowerman and his impact on the men he coached while at the University of Oregon. He was the track and field coach for many years there.