What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zruffert
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by zruffert »

Born to Run by Chris McDougal was a GREAT book, I read it cover to cover twice in a row, as someone who has always hated running because it cause me pain (in an unnatural, bad way) it changed everything for me.

Magnetic North: A trek Across Canada by David Halsey is a Great Read for the adventuresome, outdoorsy type. David Halsey travels by Foot, Dogsled and Kayak across Canada from coast to coast.

The Last Season by Erik Blehm is another book that I couldn't put down, it tells the story of a Yosemite park ranger that goes missing, all of the above are non-fiction
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

I don't have much time to read during school, but here are a few that I've started and plan to finish over Christmas break:

"When the Rivers Run Dry" by Fred Pearce - Talks about how some of the great rivers of the world are drying up, the environmental effects, and the battles that are created between who owns the water.

"Pushing the LImits" by Henry Petroski - A book about engineering masterpieces (notable bridges, skyscrapers, and dams around the world) as well as some of the failures in engineering.

"Hitler's Scientists" by John Cornwell - How Hitler used mathematicians, biologists, chemists, and engineers to produce the weapons and technology used during WWII.

"Classic Climbs of the Cordillera Blanca Peru" by Brad Johnson - For next June! :D :D :D
djbritton
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by djbritton »

+1 on the following:

-The Shack by William P. Young
-Life of Pi by Yann Martel
-The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo

All are great, quick reads.
I like it on top
14ers: 46  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I like it on top »

Just finished Halfway to Heaven, actually enjoyed it very much. Currently reading The Last of His Kind, and on the list is Riding the Breath.
abqben56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by abqben56 »

There are people on a site like this who haven't read Desert Solitaire? Abbey was a bit of a fraud, but a tremendous writer.

+1 on The Club Dumas. Wish I could read the original Spanish.
Just finished Pynchon's Mason & Dixon. Didn't like it the first time around, but got into it this time.
News of the World, by Philip Levine.
Working on Middlekauff's The Glorious Cause, about the American Revolution.

And about to start Hofstadter's The Paranoid Style in American Politics. Seems apt for the times. Perhaps some of the off-route guys should look at this one.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

abqben56 wrote:There are people on a site like this who haven't read Desert Solitaire?
+1
abqben56 wrote:Just finished Pynchon's Mason & Dixon. Didn't like it the first time around, but got into it this time.
Carrying that into the backcountry beats any training regimen ever suggested on this site. Hands down.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
sstrauss
14ers: 23 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sstrauss »

Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine

awesome ideas on ultra light backpacking. I think this guy also invented the cam, very interesting
He came up with the Friend....there were other camming devices at the time as well. Just improved the design.

Jardine is a crazy guy. I think he's an Aeronautical Engineer. One day decided he didn't like it anymore and left. Started climbing rock. Puts up a few 5.13 and 5.14, invents the friend. Decides he accomplished everything he can. Starts backpacking. Does the PCT, AT, and CDT in sneakers and 20 lbs on his back and made his own gear. Sells the idea to a guy named "Koup". You know it as GoLite. Now he's off Kayaking the oceans supposedly.
Brilliant guy. Good book.
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach
Tjohn67238
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Tjohn67238 »

Currently reading "The Last of his Kind" by David Roberts and "The Backpacker's Field Manual" by Rick Curtis
Summit Assassin
14ers: 35 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Summit Assassin »

K2 - Viesturs & Roberts
Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature - Tom Brown, Jr.
King Me - Steve Farrar
Isaiah 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

sstrauss wrote:
Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine

awesome ideas on ultra light backpacking. I think this guy also invented the cam, very interesting
Does the PCT, AT, and CDT in sneakers and 20 lbs on his back and made his own gear.
I believe he did the AT in 90 days. He was a proponent of bringing some kind of quilt instead of a tent, bag, bivy, etc., if I recall. The one thing he did that I could not handle involved his cookware cleanup where he made some kind of a slurry with his dirty water. Nasty...

And I don't think he was running any of the trail. He'd start before dawn, snooze during the hot afternoon hours, eat dinner around 5 PM and then close the day with 8-10 more miles.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Yalegirl09
14ers: 43 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yalegirl09 »

I just finished "Annapurna" and it may be my all time favorite mountaineering book! :D
guitarczar
14ers: 8 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitarczar »

The Big Year by Mark Obmascik - an entertaining read; birders are intense ! - i'm hoping to get Halfway to Heaven for Christmas !
"the rocky mountain way is better than the way we had"