What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DanandDad
Trip Reports (3)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by DanandDad »

High Altitude Paradise, by James T. Williams.
A lifetime trek to visit all the lakes in RMNP
http://www.inwildlight.com/hap.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.inwildlight.com/book.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr. and Mrs. Williams taught my kids in grade school. I had no idea they spent every summer exploring and photographing RMNP.
A great collection of photos and experiences over 34 years visiting RMNP.
Last edited by DanandDad on Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bguindon
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bguindon »

Got the Colorado Trail Book for christmas, yeah!!! Right now I'm Reading John Sandford, "Deadline".
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

I got "Paddle your own canoe" by Nick Offerman and "Let me off at the top" by Ron Burgundy today, some good reads for my next deployment!
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

There seem to be a remarkable number of mountaineering books published in 2014, including:

The Calling

One Day a Tiger

Tilting Mountains

The Call of the Ice

The Tower

Denali's Howl

Dead Mountain
dsr1986
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dsr1986 »

Fear and Loathing. Again.
Whats with Today, today?
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Sahara Unveiled by William Langeweische.
please rotate your device
BagginPeaks
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 44 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BagginPeaks »

Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains - Jon Krakauer.

Glacier pilots, Valdez ice climbing, Denali, Gill bouldering, K2, and of course The Nordwand! Not much of a reader myself but this got me hooked pretty quick.
aweygandt
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aweygandt »

Denali's Howl by Andy Hall

I'm almost done with it, and it's been a great book. I felt like the first two chapters or so weren't written so well, but near the end it is hard to put the book down.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/037452287 ... c_redir=T1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was a gift for Christmas from an old friend. I think you would like it, I have.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

aweygandt wrote:Denali's Howl by Andy Hall

I'm almost done with it, and it's been a great book. I felt like the first two chapters or so weren't written so well, but near the end it is hard to put the book down.
I guess I should give this one another try. I got about halfway and couldn't finish it, since it was just re-reporting what was in the other four books I've read about this incident. It was interesting that the author was living in the park during the incident, although he was just a kid. I thought the two older books by the expedition's leaders ("In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Howard Snyder, and "White Winds" by Joe Wilcox) were an interesting point-counterpoint pair about what happened, although they might be hard to obtain at this late date. (spoiler alert: Snyder blames Wilcox, Wilcox blames freak weather.)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Jesse M wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/037452287 ... c_redir=T1

This was a gift for Christmas from an old friend. I think you would like it, I have.
John McPhee is awesome. His whole series on the geology of I-80 is great (collected in "Annals of the Former World"). I also enjoyed "The Control of Nature" - great stories about the engineering struggles of humans against a physical world that is indifferent to our existence.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Kelly Cordes "The Tower" 250 pages in and really enjoying it.
Attachments
514RmjnlJeL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
514RmjnlJeL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (23.29 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage