What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by TaylorHolt »

derekesq wrote:This months national geographic has a good article on the effort to climb Burma's (Myanmar) tallest peak - Hkakabo Razi. Well worth reading.

Also, not a mountain book, but Into the Kingdom of Ice about the 1879 attempt to reach the north pole is excellent. Similar story to the famous Shackleton expedition in the antarctic.
I really enjoyed Hampton Sides' book Blood and Thunder (which has been discussed on here before). I bought Into the Kingdom of Ice for my dad for Father's Day, and he really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading it myself.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

Yalegirl09 wrote:"Touching the Void."
When it was first released, I picked up a first edition hard cover of TOV and binged it all night before giving a big presentation at work the next day. One of my peers said I looked like the bottom of a bottle of Scotch. I told him to look south of the border for the correct muscle relaxant.
When life gets you down, climb!
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

BagginPeaks wrote:A Sand County Almanac - Aldo Leopold. Starting working as a Wilderness Ranger with the Forest Service this summer and was told I NEED to read this book if I am to be a wilderness manager. Aldo is the man!
Cool, I need to find this.

BTW, your avatar is most excellent. I think I was up there the day it was shot, just in a different decade.
When life gets you down, climb!
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

I'm reading Unbroken, which I know has been mentioned in this thread previously. However, it reminded me of another book I read a few years ago called Coming out of the Ice: An Unexpected Life by Victor Herman. It was later made into a TV Movie, but I haven't watched it.

If you don't know Victor Herman's story, it's astonishing. Much like Louie Zamperini's experience relayed in Unbroken, the hardships Herman endured through his life serve as a reminder of what the human spirit/body is capable of surviving. It has nothing to do with mountains, but a great perseverance story.
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

I really liked "The Mountain of my fear" by David Roberts. You can really see the infuence he had on Krakauer. His writing in this one is epic!
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
hokiehead
14ers: 49  2  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

just finished Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park by Lee H. Whittlesey.

2 stars out of 5

Read it on recommendation of Xantera guide during our winter trip last year. One or two humorous anecdotes, but mostly a data dump. Some interesting discussion about what steps that parks have made to create a safe environment, while trying to preserve a wild experience, and avoid liability.
Insta: hokiehead
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Not a mountain book, but No More Dragons by Jim Burgen.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

In recent months:
The Last Season: the circumstances around SEKI backcountry ranger Randy Morgenson's disappearance and death in the Sierra backcountry.

The Pine Barrens: John McPhee's well written history of our country's most unique "wilderness" area

The Lost City of Z: another story of an adventurer who ventures into wilderness in search of some fabled city. Reminds me of Finding Bigfoot in some ways...

World War Z: love the creativity of this novel. It really transports the reader to a different place.

Nudge: behavioral economics is fascinating.
please rotate your device
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Just finished The Pass, written by Stewart Edward White in 1906, about the wilderness trip he made in the Sierra Nevadas with his wife, a friend, a few horses and a couple of dogs. It mainly concerns figuring out how to cut across the Sierra without the aid of trails or any idea if a route would work, and the naming of Elizabeth Pass (after his wife). Sure makes you appreciate modern equipment and clothing. It also demonstrated the appalling lack of LNT principles in place back then, but may have been somewhat necessary in order to survive the times/conditions.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

hokiehead wrote:just finished Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park by Lee H. Whittlesey.

2 stars out of 5
There's a similar book about Grand Canyon called Over the Edge that I found interesting. Lots of statistics and historical stories.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

USAKeller wrote:Not a mountain book, but No More Dragons by Jim Burgen.
Another Narnia lover here! This sounds really interesting! Thanks for suggestion, Caroline!
cpb145
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cpb145 »

I'm reading 'How to Archer, the Ultimate Guide to Espionage and Style and Women and Also Cocktails Ever Written'.
So far so good.
-Chris