What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CBinmt
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by CBinmt »

Farthest North by Dr. Fridtjof Nansen Vol 2
Rivals any of the great explorer stories. Vol 1 is pretty dull. But Vol 2 will keep you awake. Can be downloaded from Gutenberg.org. Nansen designed and built the boat the Fram that Amundsen used during his successful journey to the south pole. A truly remarkable man that deserves greater recognition in the USA.
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

Randy Lopez goes home by Rudolfo Anaya.
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Forever on the Mountain by James M. Tabor. Excellent read and investigation of what is still the most tragic expedition in American climbing history, the 67 Denali disaster. Two guys,(Washburn and Sheldon), I had held in high esteem take a serious hit for their role in this. Seven young men died.

Running Dry by Jonathan Waterman. Another good one from Mr. Waterman about water issues in the west and his journey down the Colorado River from the source to the sea.
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Just finished the Seven Summits, "by" Dick Bass, Frank Wells and Rick Ridgeway. I don't suggest it.

I'm *also* reading Brendan Leonard's The New American Road Trip Mixtape and you should too.

Brendan also suggested, The Only Kayak: A Journey into the Heart of Alaska by Kim Heacox, so that's in my queue.

Pouring over Dawson's Guide to Colorado's Fourteeners, Volume 2 and I like it a lot. Volume 1 must be a little more difficult to find for sale...
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

"The Kid - The Immortal Life of Ted Williams", an extremely thorough biography of the Splendid Splinter's life. I'm in awe of how much research the author did. He interviewed over 600 people and spent 10 years writing this book. Williams is definitely an interesting subject with a lot of unique qualities and serious glaring weaknesses, definitely his own worst enemy.

In the queue is Nate Jackson's book about his time with the Broncos.

"The Big Year" is back in some pay TV channel's heavy rotation. Still fun to watch a few minutes of here and there.
3rdGenNative
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 3rdGenNative »

Since I help take high school students to camp every year I'm reading the AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) Guide to Outdoor Leadership. Almost half done now. It's given me some great insights into the duties of a leader (maximize learning, maximize fun, minimize risk), leadership styles, and risk management.

Next on the list will be Tony Campolo's How to Rescue the Earth Without Worshiping Nature. I guess if I want to show kids the wonders of nature I should also show them how to take care of it.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Salt, Sugar, Fat. http://michaelmossbooks.com/books/salt-sugar-fat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I've gotten older, my love of hiking and climbing has gotten stronger while at the same time, I need to do more to stay fit enough to tackle the aggressive list of to dos that I have. Taking care of my fitness and health has become more important and the old adage, you are what you eat has become more apparent to me. With awareness I've learned some important lessons.

If activity and fitness are important to you, read this book and you will change the way you eat. It's not about climbing but it is about making it possible for you to climb later into your life.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
EZSide
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by EZSide »

Stumbled upon The Endurance - Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition at a library closeout. I know it's in this thread in other posts.

+1.

What a story - one incredible survival adventure! It was a great read in the deep of a real winter, and knowing the general background and outcome before picking it up actually made it more enjoyable for me.
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I read these two back-to-back, and in my opinion they're great companion pieces. Terray and Rebuffat were the pre-eminent French climbers of their day. Most of you will recognize their names from Annapurna.

Conquistadors of the Useless - Lionel Terray
The coolest part about this book is the personal perspective it gives on the mountaineering legends. Terray gives detailed descriptions of many famous people and records his interactions with them in a frank manner. Oh, and the climbs he did were badass. I'd compare this work to Bonatti's Mountains of My Life, with much more personal insight. It's not quite as cut-and-dry. Terray says near the end of the book that it was already too long and he kind of skims through his ascents in South America, which is definitely a shame. I could have easily lived with another 100 pages. Highly recommended; it's a classic.

Starlight and Storm - Gaston Rebuffat
Perhaps the greatest name for a mountaineering book of all time? This is a short, simple read with lots of flowery language. It's a welcome respite from the usual fact-and-detail based recollections of many climbing memoirs. Rebuffat is infinitely quotable and my copy is highlighted and underlined throughout. The final chapter, "The Brotherhood of the Rope," is an outdated how-to manual on climbing, but it's interesting to see the prevailing thoughts of the day first-hand.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
flatlander51
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by flatlander51 »

Don't know exactly why, but several months ago I got this hankering to learn more about North Korea. This was way before Rodman and his last 2 trips over there. I think it's partly because one of my clients spent some time in northern China a while back and he had some interesting stories about China and North Korea. So I thought I would read more about North Korea, especially if I could find books that depict the REAL situation there. Well, I found 2 especially good books: " Escape From Camp 14" by Blaine Harden and "Aquariums of Pyongyang" by Kang Chol-Hwan and Pierre Rigoulot. These are written by North Koreans who have managed to escape after spending a number of years in the prison camps. Very enlightening and frightening, too. Then I read "Act of War" by Jack Cheevers that chronicles the capture and incarceration of the crew of the U.S.S. Pueblo during the LBJ years. I'll tell you all one thing, after reading these, I have a new appreciation for my life and freedoms in the good ol' US of A!!!! I won't go into any more details, but they all are fascinating reads. P.S. I just saw a book on the voyage of Magellan that sounds real good - the ultimate survival story from what I could tell.
aLiEn
14ers: 58  5  3 
13ers: 149 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aLiEn »

I'm currently reading this:

Ultralight Backpackin' Tips: 153 Amazing & Inexpensive Tips for Extremely Lightweight Camping

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpa ... 0762763841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dig it...an example of OCD at its finest lol! =D>
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

I have been on a roll lately. I finished Skeletons on the Zahara (thanks to the recommendation made here), and then just completed Into Africa, which is the tale of Henry Stanley locating David Livingston in the heart of Africa.

I just started The Signal and The Noise by Nate Silver, who is a genius.
please rotate your device