Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Music

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Music

Postby 12ersRule » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:50 pm

And if ska isn't your thing, here's an acoustic version of the same tune:

Postby metalmountain » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 pm

New Carcass!!!!! Everything else must bow down to its awesomeness.

"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:07 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Fanfare for the Common Man has me wishing I could play brass instruments, and not just woodwinds...

Brass is badass! Arranging for funk, blues, hot jazz... what a blast! There's so much you can do with a horn section.

bergsteigen wrote:I like the concerts we have when the theme is Big Band, Jazz or Celtic.

OK, now you're really talking my language. You realize, of course, that we've already been ostracized for such heresy... So may as well carry on. : )

Gil Evans. Especially his big band arrangements with Miles. Give a listen. He has some really unique ways of voicing - and his use of "non-standard" instruments in jazz adds interesting color.

Louis Bellson also has some great great big band stuff. Really powerful.

So cool to learn about your love for music! Speaking of which, I'm headed over to my climbing partner's tonight - to play music! \:D/

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:22 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:OK, now you're really talking my language. You realize, of course, that we've already been ostracized for such heresy... So may as well carry on. : )

Gil Evans. Especially his big band arrangements with Miles. Give a listen. He has some really unique ways of voicing - and his use of "non-standard" instruments in jazz adds interesting color.

Louis Bellson also has some great great big band stuff. Really powerful.

So cool to learn about your love for music! Speaking of which, I'm headed over to my climbing partner's tonight - to play music! \:D/

Without musicians, there wouldn't be any music...

What I prefer to perform/play doesn't always correspond to what I like to listen to or see performed live. And performing popular music is not typically challenging or very interesting. We did an arrangement of Beatles songs recently, and while a lot of fun, was kinda meh. Even got to "sing" the chorus of Hey Jude. An ex in college taught me to play guitar one evening on spring break. By the end of the night, I could play Today by Smashing Pumpkins. It used to be my favorite song when I was in HS (for multiple reasons I won't go into), but it didn't make me want to pursue guitar.

Now if I had a voice, I'd be all over this:

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby MonGoose » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 am

Possibly my favorite song of all time.

Postby 12ersRule » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:52 am

MonGoose wrote:Possibly my favorite song of all time.

Yes, that is a fantastic song!

Another fave from them:

Postby 13ers » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:21 am

I chuckle everytime I see this. \:D/

Will belay for free.

Postby mkrier » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:53 pm

MonGoose wrote:Possibly my favorite song of all time.

Their live studio version of Brothers on a Hotel Bed is pretty good as well.

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:03 am

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby dehrlich101 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:15 pm

A new song I just heard the other day.. Pretty damn good

I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby highpilgrim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

I'm sorry to see he's gone walking on the other side.

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby highpilgrim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:00 pm

One more for Lou. Covered by the Junkies.

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

PreviousNext