Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Music

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Music

Postby oldschoolczar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Ahahaha.. that is hilarious! I used to think Phish was a good show in the mid- to late-90s! But man have they really nose-dived. I've been dragged to a few shoes in the past 5 years and they were almost painful to sit through.
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Oh Jordan. If you can't still have fun and appreciate Phish for what they are then you are getting old and jaded. At least our lead singer has dealt with his demons and doesn't pass out on stage regularly like Gener.

You know I kid ;). Can't we all just agree that Bisco sucks?

Postby oldschoolczar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:36 pm

AndYouSeeMe wrote:Oh Jordan. If you can't still have fun and appreciate Phish for what they are then you are getting old and jaded. At least our lead singer has dealt with his demons and doesn't pass out on stage regularly like Gener.

You know I kid ;). Can't we all just agree that Bisco sucks?

We can definitely agree on that Aaron!
Oh, I'd still go see a show.. but it's much less about the music now and more about the wookie-watching.. love watching passed out wookies and incapacitated wookies argue over grilled cheeses and flakes of hash and such! I like to think that my tastes are evolving.. but you've got a point.. I'm probably just getting old & jaded..

Gener is rock & roll.. maybe a little too rock & roll!
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Extra credit:
What is the time signature?

No takers? Surprised, actually, considering some of the membership here is pretty sharp.
#... :-"

Verse is in seven. Chorus in four.

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Extra credit:
What is the time signature?

No takers? Surprised, actually, considering some of the membership here is pretty sharp.
#... :-"

Verse is in seven. Chorus in four.

Must have missed this. :oops: Currently working on a piece for performance that uses not only 7/8 but 6/8, 9/8, 5/4, 6/4 as well more normal 2/4, 3/4 and straight up 4/4. Much of it is quite dissonant and is difficult to follow at present.

And I prefer flats b :wink:
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:14 pm

bergsteigen wrote:
And I prefer flats b :wink:

E's flat. Ah's flat too.

(apologies to Mingus...)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:17 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Currently working on a piece for performance...

Hey, what's the work? Fill us in! :-D

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:21 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:

We have a new conductor from FL who apparently likes Baseball since the piece is called Pastime, A Salute to Baseball. I should find a YouTube performance, maybe the piece will make more sense. Too many accidentals and time signiture changes makes my brain explode!

I'm hoping the next concert theme is more interesting
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."

Postby Kiefer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:44 am

Have to agree with Helmet. SCI isn't my cup of fondue.

But what I DO know, is that Jesus built my hotrod!!

Postby Mtn Geek » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 am

[/quote]

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:48 am

bergsteigen wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:

We have a new conductor from FL who apparently likes Baseball since the piece is called Pastime, A Salute to Baseball. I should find a YouTube performance, maybe the piece will make more sense. Too many accidentals and time signiture changes makes my brain explode!

You-tubed it. Fun! In all the dissonance and meter changes, I love the twisted little thematic quotes of "Take me out to the ball park."

Do you like Copland? Any fan of Keith Emerson's versions of his, or some of the classics, like Exhibition?
I always found those interesting. Especially Emerson's version of that Ginastera piece.

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:

You-tubed it. Fun! In all the dissonance and meter changes, I love the twisted little thematic quotes of "Take me out to the ball park."

Do you like Copland? Any fan of Keith Emerson's versions of his, or some of the classics, like Exhibition?
I always found those interesting. Especially Emerson's version of that Ginastera piece.

The first half of the piece, each measure is dedicated to a specific player. Like measure 24 has a Eb major chord to celebrate Willie Mays. There's a flute that does Morse code for S-O-S-A. The second half highlights events in baseball, good and bad. I hope I will like it better after a few more rehearsals.

I do like Copland. Fanfare for the Common Man has me wishing I could play brass instruments, and not just woodwinds. We're performing Simple Gifts for this concert, so that's a nice melodic piece.

I like the concerts we have when the theme is Big Band, Jazz or Celtic. I would need to get into the CU Band/orchestra again to do more of the heavy hitter pieces again like my favorite: Modest Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain which I performed as a Freshman.

PreviousNext