Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

rescue/recovery St. Mary's Glacier

Items that do not fit the categories above.

rescue/recovery St. Mary's Glacier

Postby glacierPaul » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:39 am

Hello all,
First, My condolences to the family and friends of the 19 year old man who died, and speedy recovery to the other 3 that are in the hospital. Saturday before 5pm, the group tried to swim across Glacier Lake, with the temp of the water at 40 degrees. After the attempt, 2 left by ambulance, and 1 by Flight for Life on Saturday night. And one by coroner on Sunday.
Extremely unfortunate. The water is not much more suitable for dogs, as I have retrieved one (deceased) earlier this year. The crazy thing is people (kids) come up all the time and jump off the ledge above the lake, then swim back, and do it again.
Again, my condolences to the familes.
Paul

Re: rescue/recovery St. Mary's Glacier

Postby Dex » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 am

I was at Amphitheater Lake in Grand Teton NP in July - it was still partially frozen. Two people were looking for a place to jump in. I didn't wait around to see what happened.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Hacksaw » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:43 am

Dex wrote:I was at Amphitheater Lake in Grand Teton NP in July - it was still partially frozen. Two people were looking for a place to jump in. I didn't wait around to see what happened.

To bad, you could tell us if Darwin was right... #-o
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby contour900 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Evidently these geniuses were asleep on the day in their early childhood when the melting temperature of ice on this planet was covered.

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Last edited by lordhelmut on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby CO Native » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:22 pm

I don't think the problem was the time of day so much as the fact that where they got in required a long swim to where they needed to get out. They spent too much time in the water. A brief dip in an alpine lake is much different than swimming across one. You can only be in water that cold for 4 to 5 minutes before serious problems.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Hacksaw » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 pm

g wrote:Wonder if they figured they could do it after watching Man vs. Wild...

I really hope not...
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."