Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Missing hiker found on Mt. Princeton

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Missing hiker found on Mt. Princeton

Postby tmathews » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 pm

This story kind of emphasizes why it's important to leave an itinerary with friends/relatives if you're hiking solo....

http://cbs4denver.com/local/missing.hiker.found.2.1038216.html

Re: Missing hiker found on Mt. Princeton

Postby burningthebushes » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:25 pm

How do you get lost on Princeton?
Andy

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:26 pm

How the heck do you get lost on Mt. Princeton? This is why you research ahead and bring maps/gps/compass. And +1 on telling people where the heck you're going. My wife ALWAYS knows where I'm going, down to the last mile. Its just common sense... :shock:

Postby tmathews » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:27 pm

burningthebushes wrote:How do you get lost on Princeton?

!

Not sure....

Postby Missy_Goat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:40 pm

Hmmmm......perhaps hiking solo isn't this persons forte! :-k
The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir

Postby bckcntryskr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:44 pm

wow. At least he was found. I wasn't there, so I can't say what happened. Not sure I cant see being lost on Princeton for 2 days. Look at your compass and head East, look for the lights. Well like I said, I wasn't there.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby glacierPaul » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:45 am

His father Rhys, is a plumbing customer of mine, lives in Evergreen. If I remember right this son has some sort of brain dissorder?, medication and altitude would be my guess. Basically, should not have been alone, could be a different son. I will have to call him about this and get the real scoop. Rhys has a great Welsh accent, fun to talk with.

Postby Missy_Goat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:17 am

Wow, yeah at least they did find him - the is the VERY important part! If that is true about the brain disorder, then his girlfriend (or whoever he was with) should not have been so ignorant as to let him hike alone. That sounds harsh, but dang... that's how accidents happen up there. [-X
The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir

Postby TravelingMatt » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:10 am

... and this story tells you all you need to know about Boulder. Glad it wasn't them hiking Princeton.

http://cbs4denver.com/watercooler/Boulder.Nudists.Landlord.2.1034386.html
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby yosemite98 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:39 am

I found out from Search and Rescue it's actually quite common. believe it or not. Three of us were hiking up when one guy got tired and said he would go back down, following a group that was headed down. When we got to the summit it was covered in clouds/fog, cold, and then lightning started to fly, so we quickly got down the mountain. Once the clouds cleared I noticed that I couldn't see the guy with the group down below..? We called his name but heard nothing. So I ran down to catch up with the group while my hiking partner went back up to the ridge to see if he could see anything. We couldn't find him and the group he was following said he just disappeared high up on the ridge in the fog. At that point I called SAR.

It turns out he went off the back side of the mountain (I know, I know, HOW does THAT happen?) and cliffed out at Agnes Vaille falls. The SAR team told me that 4-5 people cliff out at that spot every year and besides sending somebody up the ridge to look again that's the only spot they went to look for him.

I learned on that trip that some people are not very observant about where they are going and have no sense of direction. I can't even imagine ever getting lost on Princeton, as many others might agree, but there are people that can get lost anywhere. But seriously.... HOW does THAT happen?

Postby Dex » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:19 am

yosemite98 wrote:

I found out from Search and Rescue it's actually quite common. believe it or not.

Is this who you called or is there another number?
http://www.lakecountyco.com/searchandrescue/
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Rich H » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:20 am

How does it happen?
I've gotten into trouble (lost) two times climbing. Once on Crestone Needle....slept in the basin to the east of the mountains....was on a multi day hike and had come off of Humboldt and Kit Carson the night before. I bivied under a rock by the lakes and when I got up the next morning the peak and needle were fogged in. I decided to head up what I thought was broken hand pass....but instead was one gully to the north....I climbed up and the clouds cleared and I was peeking across right at Ellingwoods Arete... I knew I had messed up. I didn't want to go down so instead I ended up doing what Roach describes as the India route...5.6 with a full pack - I was so excited when I busted out at 13,300 on the needles standard route that I decided I was done and hiked back down to my car that night. Never have been back...

The other was again in the fog...on Vermillion sp? Peak - from out of Telluride. On the way up I traversed across Fuller Pk and made it to the top of Vermillion...I decided to bag Fuller on the way back in the fog...got turned around didn't even bother to take out my compass started to descend SE instead of back to the trail I had used to come up...was part way down when I thought that this didn't make sense as it was getting steeper...pulled out my compass and map and realized I was walking off a cliff on my way to Silverton...

It does happen. I just kind of go with it when it does and chalk it up as an education. I do let my wife know exactly where i am climbing...
"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."

Next