Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Itenerary

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Spring Itenerary

Postby Prairie Native » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:32 pm

I am hoping to get out this June and do some more snow climbs, here is the plan:

Day Zero: Leave from work with a packed car and stay in western Kansas somewhere.
Day One: Drive in and find the highest open road to do a day hike around to get the acclimatization going. Monarch Pass? Sleep above 8000 ft. Stay near lake city.
Day Two: Hike into American Basin and camp near sloan lake.
Day Three: Climb some of American Peak's couliors early mornin' and finish with Handies. Hike out. Drive into Aspen that night.
Day Four: Rest day with a hike into Crater Lake. Camp near bottom of the Bell Cord.
Day Five: Early wake up and hit the Bell Cord (hopefully summit this time only got to the top of the cord last time) Be back at car by 2 PM and on the road back to Lawrence.

Anyone have some alternate better suggestions? Im looking for some colly climbs with some gorgeous scenery, and i have a score to settle with the Bells. Im cautious and willing to turn back due to weather and route issues; hence the non-summit of maroon last time. But with weather permitting is this a realistic Itinerary? Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

PS-anyone know how much more mileage a snow/compact car issue on the way to American basin would add?

PSS- WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE SPRING/SUMMER?
Something witty.

Re: Spring Itinerary

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:11 am

Day two: Camping at 12900+ feet will probably not include much sleep, IMO.
Add ~five miles each way from Silver Creek/GG to reach the American Basin turnoff, plus the ~two miles into the basin itself.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Re: Spring Itenerary

Postby Prairie Native » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Dang, I didn't think that would be such a long hike in. I will have to look else where it seems.
Something witty.

Postby tink » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:58 pm

Sounds like a good trip! As an east coaster I can't give you an info on the conditions at that time, but since you asked about the summer plans...

I'll be rolling up to Denver for a summer job at Buckley AFB sometime in late May. God permitting, there will still be some snow to ski at a resort (I haven't looked into it much, but things look optimistic) and I'll spend a couple days acclimating via lift ticket. If I'm feeling good, I may try to go up Quandary and snowboard down. By all accounts the East Ridge is shallow enough to largely avoid avy danger. After that, it'll be work by the week and hike on the weekend, trying to grab as many peaks as I can. As it stands, the hit list would look roughly like this:

Earlier Hikes
Quandary
Elbert
Sherman
Bierstadt-Evans
Massive

Mid-summer hikes
Longs Peak
Decalibros
Belford-Oxford
Harv-Columbia

Later hikes
Crestone Weekend

Ideally get two of these hikes per weekend, and the order is pretty fluid. Coming from flat land I'm expecting a slow return to form (it'll have been two years since I last did a 14er) and comfort with the exposure.

As an aside, anyone know folks living by Buckley looking to sublet this summer?
Mountaineering Catholics: Bl Frassati, Pope Pius XI, Pope John Paul II

Postby Shawnee Bob » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:09 pm

June: Belford/Oxford/Missouri

July: Grays/Torreys with my brothers

August: TBA, but something's in the works. I'd love to go in the San Juans, but it will probably be somewhere closer.

Flatlander from the southern plains. I just can't get into CO as much as I'd like.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:29 am

Prairie - If you have your heart set on Bell Cord and want some other nearby couloirs to "warm up" on, I would recommended Hopeful Couloir on Mount Hope and possilbly Grizzly Couloir on Grizzly. Both peaks are centennial 13ers near to Independence Pass. You could modify your original itinerary to sub one of them for American/Handies and as they are so much closer to the Bells, save a lot of driving too. Both peaks are on summitpost and are in Gerry Roach's 13er book. Grizzly's trailhead is a little rougher, not sure how a compact would do, but Hope's is paved if you access it from the north. Hope would probably be your better choice.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day