Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Knee pain

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Knee pain

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Since you indicate that your pain is mainly in going downhill, if all else fails, here's a cheesy alternate solution:

Climb UP Pike's peak by any of the routes, then take the train or some other vehicle transportation DOWN.

Obviously I realize you would much rather have your knee not hurt. If you're not satisfied with your progress later on, just maybe the dumb idea above might have some credibility. Might be good for a hike or two anyway. Also Evans could apply. Getting a little more adventurous, skiing, glissading, or even sledding possibilities may as well exist depending upon what you would like to or be daring to do.

What part of Michigan are you in? I'm in Bay City. If your close enough we could meet up to share pics and stories.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby rlw49 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Gary Brady
Noooooo! Say it ain't so. Aren't we supposed to be invincible? 50 is the new 17, or something like that.
Wish and hobo
Lived in frankenmuth 5 yrs, had to move when they closed the brewery.

Postby Fred North » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm a flat lander too and had acute knee pain a few days after doing Grays and Longs within 3 days. The ortho sent me to physical therapy where they said it was runners knee. I do about 25 miles a week. As someone mentioned earlier it was an IT band issue combined with hamstrings that were tight and too weak to match up with my quads. Stretching and area specific excercies have been a huge help. The caution is don't hit them too hard to fast, I did and that caused other issues. The same stretches and excercies that the PT game me are also on runnersworld.com.

Good luck,

Fred
Exactly...these go to 11 -- Nigel Tufnel

Postby Ghigs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:55 pm

I also have had problems with Runners Knee. The thing that has helped me the most is a good pair of motion control running shoes. Right now I have a pair of Brooks Adrenalines. I run during the off-season to keep in shape for climbing fourteeners in the summer, and by keeping my Runners Knee under control during the off-season I don't have any problems in the summer when I'm climbing.

Postby catfish hank » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:30 pm

If its only downhill you feel the pain, it may just be tendentitis. I hope so in your case. its a much easier situation to deal with. I'd recommentd trying some neoprene knee braces or the runners knee strap. A simple velcro strap that goes below the knee. Saved my knees on the return end of the trip. they're about 7 dollars. Kinda rediculous that such an easy fix could go so far. I've seen hikers just tie cloth around their knees as well. I agree with others on the chondroiten supps. Couldnt hurt to try. I would take the process of elimination approach. Best of luck.
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
and you got the stock market beat.
And the man worth while is the man who can smile
when his shorts are tight in the seat... Smails.

Postby Hobopoet » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:50 am

I appreciate the comments and suggestions! I've been modifying my workouts with a special emphasis on concentrated stretching, and this has improved...fortunately! This may seem a bit strange, but I think part of this is a stress reaction. A few years ago while I was trying to finish my dissertation and struggling with some "life challenges," I had a terrible bout of fibromyalgia. I got past that, but I'm much more sympathetic to the problem when I hear others complain.

Well, I've been quite stressed these last few months with another series of "life challenges." And I'm inclined to think all this contributed to my difficulties. There's no easy solution, I don't think, but being aware of possible causes and modifying everything that might bring improvement, seems like a sensible strategy.

So, maybe I can make plans for another Colorado summer after all! :)

Previous