Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Apostles - Yale vs Huron

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Apostles - Yale vs Huron

Postby MtHurd » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:49 am

I keep hearing about how great the view of the 3 Apostles is from Huron. I agree, great view, but in my opinion, Yale has a better view. The peaks are more symetric, kinda like Princeton from Buena Vista. What makes Huron that much better than Yale? Is it really the Apostles view, or is it because Huron is more isolated than Yale? Or, does it just seem like Huron gets more acolades when in fact it doesn't? What gives?

From Yale

From Huron:

Re: Apostles - Yale vs Huron

Postby Gary Brady » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Because I have yet to climb Yale, I can not comment on it's view. But I must say, when I rounded the trail to see the 3 Apostles from Huron, I was awe struck. Just looking at your pictures, I would also say they both look great. The Yale view appears to be a better view of the mountains themselves. The view from Huron seems to be a more complete package including trees that frame the view nicely.

My view a couple of months ago:

You guys have fun climbing this weekend. I can't go. Lumbergh's gonna have me come in on Saturday, I just know it.

Postby CO Native » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:16 pm

I'm assuming my comment in the "most scenic" thread brought this up. I do enjoy the Yale view as well as they look more rugged from that side, but the other mountains distract from them on that trip. Before you even can see the Apostles, you see so many other peaks:

Up Huron you can see them earlier and they are framed by the valley. They really stand out and command the skyline.

At least that's why I like the view from that side better.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Titan_20 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:26 pm

CO Native wrote:I'm assuming my comment in the "most scenic" thread brought this up. I do enjoy the Yale view as well as they look more rugged from that side, but the other mountains distract from them on that trip. Before you even can see the Apostles, you see so many other peaks:

Up Huron you can see them earlier and they are framed by the valley. They really stand out and command the skyline.

At least that's why I like the view from that side better.

Completely agree with you reasoning and all.
Finished the 14ers in colorado :) If anyone ever needs a partner to hike with PM me I usually climb solo. I hike, rock climb, and snowboard as much as my schedule will allow.

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:05 pm

I like it from Huron because of the rugged north faces. Something about a north face that sends a shiver down the spine.