Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountaineering controversy

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby thespoonybard » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:55 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Here’s the difference: nobody pays us to climb – in fact, many of us invest a large part of our own incomes to it. And we’ll continue to do it, till we’re broke, and broken down, and so wrinkled and smelly that no one else wants to climb with us.

+1
"The mountains are calling...and I must go" - John Muir
"all your base are belong to us"

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:16 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:Stop! "

[i]
Hammer time
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:25 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:Stop!

in the name of love
Before you break my heart
Think it over
Think it over

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:48 am

susanjoypaul wrote:

dragging my heart around
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:47 pm

larkinrx2 wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:

dragging my heart around

...talkin' about love.
I can't stop talkin' about love.

Ooh, let me go on down, go on down,
go on down, go on down, go on down, yes.

I can't stop talkin' about.
I can't stop talkin' about love, hey!
I can't stop talkin' about love or my baby.
I can't stop talkin' about love, my baby,
my baby, my baby, yeah!

Unnh!
Push!
Push!
Push it!
Push!
Push!

Oooh~ahhh~ohh~oooh.

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:57 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:

Don't stop
Rockin' your socks off
Don't stop
Knockin' their blocks off
Don't stop
Gettin' your rocks off
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby grizz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:33 pm

if you notice i never mentioned anything about hand/eye coordination, just that when they do hit it they go for slugging it out of the park rather than getting a hit and making it 1 or 2 bases
if you want using a maul to help you get up a mtn i suggest walking on your hands, after a few rounds with the wood pile im sure you would see improvement

Obviously I was talking about hitting or making contact with the ball. I was not questioning the distance the ball travels when contact is made. See my post below.

PS. I find climbing to be much less demanding than hitting a ball with a bat. How the hell do they do it? Heck, I had trouble when the ball was on a tee.

Then you responded

edit: oh, and to answer your question its the steroids and HcG!!!! which i dont think many of us MTN climbers use?

Then I responded

Hmm, I never knew steroids gave athletes better eye to hand coordination.

As far as the remaining portion of your post specifically your remark about walking on my hands I would like you to imagine the color pink, then imagine the quote below in pink. I always forget to use pink when posting on 14ers.com.

I split 10 cords of wood with an 8lb maul and I can’t climb any faster. Puzzling???

My apologies for not being more pointed with my original intentions regarding my lack of baseball skills. PS. Notice this ^^ sentence is not in pink and can be construed as sincere.
Last edited by grizz on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Native

Postby grizz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:07 pm

We climb 14ers and a 20k peak here and there. Why would someone pay us? Comparing us to a pro that gets endorsements are completely different things. Do you think Ed funds his own climbs 100% of the time from the $$ he gets from his desk job?

I’m a little surprised that some truly believe that climbing a peak last weekend puts them in some sort of elite group in the wide world of sports. Technically speaking the majority of us are weekend warriors in the climbing world. We are the athletes playing the pickup game at the rec center.

Sorry to burst any bubbles.
Colorado Native

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:21 pm

Grizz, you need a link to this in your post:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1881604

Postby Shawnee Bob » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Some interesting stuff. I play basketball because I love it. I suck at it, but I love to play and it has actually become a big part of my fitness regimen. I'll do it until me knees give out.

I practice jujitsu because I love it. I'm OK at it. But I love it and will keep doing it until my joints say "no mas!"

I head into the mountains and climb because I love it. I'm just beginning to learn it. I love it so much it has almost killed me. But I'll still keep going back up.

All three challenge me physically. Even more so, all three challenge me mentally (esp the second one). In all three cases, my life would be poorer if not for these activities. I don't get paid to do any of them. All have some competitive facets (though mountaineering is more about competing against the elements and your own mind/will).

(begin soapbox) As far as pro athletes who quit and get fat because they don't play anymore: that's probably true in some cases. But there are some former athletes who, for the love of the game (and good money) have had many surgeries just to keep playing. Mark Schlereth comes to mind. He doesn't play football anymore because he CAN'T. His body has had enough (26 surgeries?). Same is true for a lot of other former athletes. We're lucky in that the way we practice our pastimes generally leaves us in better physical condition than many former pro athletes. Not saying some of us here don't risk life and limb (I saw some pretty interesting photos of a traverse on the Bells on one climber's page). But I'm pretty sure the bulk of us here don't put our bodies on the line as much as some of these football and hockey players. Heck, even Larry Bird got the the point where he could barely walk because of back problems that developed because of his hard-nosed brand of basketball. So I'm not about to denigrate the sacrifices they make. (end soapbox)

All that's to say: Live and let live. I don't care if some pro athlete or my neighbor doesn't see mountaineering as a sport. Just like I don't care if mountaineers or dead writers don't see basketball or jujitsu as sports. At some level, they all are. At other levels they defy or transcend the definition of sports.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

Postby grizz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:50 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:Grizz, you need a link to this in your post:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1881604

Who is Steve House?
Colorado Native

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:53 pm

grizz wrote:
My apologies for not being more pointed with my original intentions regarding my lack of baseball skills. PS. Notice this ^^ sentence is not in pink and can be construed as sincere.

dont worry, i sucked at baseball too, thats why i climb mtns!!!!!!
as for the chopping wood/walking on hands, it was only showing a direct correlation of where the benefit would be seen, i dont think they do steroids to hit the ball, just to hit it further

grizz wrote:I’m a little surprised that some truly believe that climbing a peak last weekend puts them in some sort of elite group in the wide world of sports. Technically speaking the majority of us are weekend warriors in the climbing world. We are the athletes playing the pickup game at the rec center. Sorry to burst any bubbles.

i dont know if we were comparing are selfs to the great ones of our sport, but that it is a sport (and that to get paid for it becomes a job)
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

PreviousNext