Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountaineering controversy

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby rtrujillo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:41 am

I gave up watched sports to be a mountianeer. To me mountaineering surpasses the realm of sport. To attain ones personal limits and survive. Just throwing down my 0.02 cents worth.
In time of trouble . . . He shall set me upon a rock.
- Psalms 27:5

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:44 am

One of Webster's synonyms for "sport" is "fun". So I guess it doesn't have to be sport to be sport.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby larkinrx2 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 am

Jim Davies wrote:One of Webster's synonyms for "sport" is "fun". So I guess it doesn't have to be sport to be sport.

couch potato is now officially a sport....thanks jim!!
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby shredthegnar10 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:25 am

If EA can't make some ridiculous videogame about it, with which they make millions year after year by simply changing the year on the title and maybe the hair or uniform color of some characters, then it definitely isn't a sport!
There's a fine line between being a badass and being a dumbass.

ACONCAGUA STYLE

Postby larkinrx2 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:47 am

shredthegnar10 wrote:If EA can't make some ridiculous videogame about it, with which they make millions year after year by simply changing the year on the title and maybe the hair or uniform color of some characters, then it definitely isn't a sport!

maybe they can make a version of cliffhanger?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby grizz » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:56 am

Climbing Mount Everest does not give you a Tiger Wood’s golf swing and vise versa. To say your chosen sport is more “sporty” or “sports like” than other sports is, well…un-sports like.

Different sports require different abilities, movement, conditioning, etc, be it physical or mental. Climbing in your eyes may be the most demanding of all sports. Does it really make it the most demanding because you see it that way?

If climbing is truly a sport and we are the athletes of this sport, shouldn’t we recognize other athletes and the mental and physical endurance they must conquer to be successful be it tennis, bull riding, car racing, football etc.?

Good sportsmanship is always appreciated in the world of sports.

PS. I find climbing to be much less demanding than hitting a ball with a bat. How the hell do they do it? Heck, I had trouble when the ball was on a tee.
Last edited by grizz on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colorado Native

Postby paul109876 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Some history: I was a power lifter and specialized in Bench press, I also competed in Strongman contests for a few years.
Out of all of my competitions approx. 30 I placed 2nd only twice and placed 1st the rest of the time.

I live in the flat lands of Indiana at a whopping altitude of 812ft. My wife and I bust our asses to physically prepare ourselves the best when can so when we come to Co. we can enjoy the beauty.

Preparing for a meet is tough and requires me 10-12 weeks of dedicated training. But to prepare to hit 3-4 14ers in a week requires much more aerobic preparation and mental strengthening than anything I've ever done.

So for me climbing/hiking is much more demanding. But I don't give a crap if someone considers it a sport or not.
Yes I admitt that a small part of me climbs 14ers due to the fact that a very small percentage of people are willing to get off of their butts and put forth some effort, challenging their minds and bodies and enduring the forces of nature.

But the main reason I do it is the pay off, the beauty at the top that can not be described in any article or book, and pictures just can't justify. That's why I do it, to enjoy nature at it's best and appreciate the view that few get to see. Those views are among the things i treasure the most.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby larkinrx2 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 pm

grizz wrote:PS. I find climbing to must less demanding than hitting a ball with a bat. How the hell do they do it? Heck, I had trouble when the ball was on a tee.

well look at the group with high home run average, it either home run or swing and a miss.....just averaging out the poke and hope and they just get it more often then not. in my book the ones with the doubles and triples are the better players since they are trying to play the game rather than win with every swing and usually will do the sacrafice to position the team rather than die swinging for the glory

edit: oh, and to answer your question its the steroids and HcG!!!! which i dont think many of us MTN climbers use?
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby grizz » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Hmm, I never knew steroids gave athletes better eye to hand coordination.

I split 10 cords of wood with an 8lb maul and I can’t climb any faster. Puzzling???
Colorado Native

Postby Randonnee » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Climbing is much more than just a sport -- It is a way of life!! :D
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny."

(Thomas Jefferson)

Postby tress » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:36 pm

as much of a sport as cheerleading... #-o

Postby catbus-x » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:20 pm

One of the most popular events shown on ESPN is poker. ESPN being a cable sports network, also billiard. BTY I never saw a mountaineering coverage, or Everest news from ESPN.

PreviousNext