Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountaineering controversy

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby Handsome B Wonderful » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:49 pm

martynda wrote:
Handsome B Wonderful wrote:I think calling mountaineering a "sport" belittles it by pigeon holing it in with "sports" like baseball, tennis, and golf. Not that there is anything wrong with those, but to lump a spectacular achievement like Rolando Garibotti’s Torre Traverse in with a little game like the 2009 Australian Open Men's Final (as great of a match as that was) just seems wrong to me.

Errmm.... have you ever played tennis beyond hitting the ball underhanded over a net for 5 minutes and calling it quits? Tennis is as much as sport as basketball or football or anything else but has a much bigger mental element thrown in with all the physical and skill stuff. Sure, you don't get hit by a 300lb guy, but you have to sprint and change directions for hours at a time which is very hard on your body. There is a MASSIVE difference between an group of old ladies playing doubles on the weekend and 4.5+ level players in terms of how much of a "sport" it is. It's like equating a 1 mile hike in along the foothills to climbing an 8000m peak.

Yes. I played varsity tennis for a 5A high school for 3 years. I am familiar with the mental and physical elements of the sport. I appreciate good tennis as much as the next guy. However, I maintain that IMHO a true mountaineering achievement like Rolando Garibotti’s Torre Traverse transcends a mere sporting victory like Nadal's victory earlier this week in the Australian Open.

You won't be able to convince me otherwise, so don't bother trying. I'm just throwing my $0.02 out there. You may take it or leave it.
"I like my women like I like my couloirs - steep and narrow." - Handsome B. Wonderful

Postby larkinrx2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:01 pm

ha, one of my best essays was about hemingway and the short happy life of francis macomber....it was basically him doing an interview about the story and someone asked why she shot him, he basically said i dont know, maybe the thought of living with him was enough, maybe she thought she was helping him from the pain of getting trampled, maybe she was just a B=tch!! :lol:
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby slopestyle » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:35 pm

So, since I climb and then ski mountains, where does that put me???

~Sam
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY s**t!!...WHAT A HELL OF A RIDE!!!!"

Postby Altitude14000 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:34 pm

jfox wrote:
My opinion is "Who gives a sh*t?!?" By trying to categorize something as abstract and personal as mountaineering, you detract from the experience and trivialize the endeavor.

+1. I climb for me, It challenges me on so many levels and then I get a sweet reward up top... usually a Snickers.
Did you just say, "yabut?"

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:58 pm

I’m supposed to care what a bunch of millionaires playing with their balls think about my sport?

Postby CO Native » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby jaymz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:27 pm

We seem to neglect the fact that the word "sport" has a wide semantic range, one of whose meanings mountaineering should fall into. I believe it's a sport, but not in the sense that baseball's a sport, which is a sport in a different sense than bowling is a sport, which is so in a different sense than that of hunting or fishing. Depends on which definition of "sport" you're using. If you're using it in the baseball sense, then no, it's not a sport (likewise, if you're asking if baseball's a "sport" in the mountaineering sense, then neither is it a sport).

At the end of the day, I'm with all the responses along the lines of "who gives a $#!t." Whether or not it's a sport doesn't change how great it is, or how much respect it deserves.
Last edited by jaymz on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bean » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Altitude14000 wrote:
jfox wrote:
My opinion is "Who gives a sh*t?!?" By trying to categorize something as abstract and personal as mountaineering, you detract from the experience and trivialize the endeavor.

+1. I climb for me, It challenges me on so many levels and then I get a sweet reward up top... usually a Snickers.

The real reward comes at the bottom.

gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby larkinrx2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:36 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:I’m supposed to care what a bunch of millionaires playing with their balls think about my sport?

i think we should do an intraduction as it were, see how many of them can make it up capital (ive not been there but seen the pics, kinda psyched!) or if they can do those wonderful switch backs up belford in one long round trip day without being able to sit on a bench for a few minutes, halftime, timeouts, waterboy bringing them a drink. their are some that play their "sport" very well, as im sure there are alot of people who climb these mtns better/faster than me but at the end of the day i think i got more physically and mentally out of climbing a mtn then playing an organized team sport.
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby centrifuge » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:37 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:I’m supposed to care what a bunch of millionaires playing with their balls think about my sport?

+1 and then some

and another vote for the first Boukreev quote... the mountains are my only holy place. Its where the universe speaks to me with the wind that flows through the valleys and over the peaks. It shows me that no matter how dark the world can be, there is always something more pure and simple in all its tremendous beauty and power. A place where people actually look after one another without regard to superficial trappings. I know its cheese but after a week in my job a person begins to realize that sometimes the only world that makes sence is the world that surrounds us in the mountains. If Mountaineering is not a sport, it is only because it is one of those activity's that a human can pursue that transcends the need for categorization and narrow definitions.

aside from that, there are only 2 people who's opinions about mountaineering count in my world, my wife and my mom... not people who are more concerned with how much money they can squeeze out of inflated contracts than the welfare of their own sports.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:09 am

Tell it like it is.
Yup.Image

centrifuge wrote:the mountains are my only holy place

I understand that statement completely. As does my dad. I think my mom understands it partially, enough to tolerate our behavior.

Postby larkinrx2 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:32 am

Media Dude wrote:just curiosity but were you guy drinking PBR in China?
Check out the writing on the can.

Its some of that tainted milk!
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

PreviousNext