Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountaineering controversy

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Mountaineering controversy

Postby catbus-x » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 am

Most of the time, is frustrating to talk to average people, even with people that practice basketball or "other sports", but most of them mountaineering is not considered a sport at all. But you have to be in good shape to climb (irony). I found some quotes by some experts:

SPORT
"You have to be an athlete, and you have to have a game plan."
—Bengie Molina, Angels catcher

SPORT
"Anything that physically demanding has to be a sport, even if you don't keep score."
—Dave Hansen, Dodgers infielder

NOT A SPORT
"Come on, mountain climbing? You don't have to be an athlete. Plus, risking your life is not a sport. That's stupidity."
—David Weathers, Brewers reliever

SPORT
"More than car racing. You just sit in a car and drive around a track. Mountain climbers have to be in shape."
—Joe Sakic, Avalanche forward

NOT A SPORT
"It's an athletic activity, and it's a strong mental challenge because one slip and you're dead. But you don't compete against anyone."
—Qadry Ismail, Ravens wideout

NOT A SPORT
"Anybody who climbs a mountain isn't a sportsman. He's crazy."
—Rod Smith, Broncos wideout

SPORT
"It's man against mountain, and it's win or lose. If you fall, you're dead, but you also lost."
—Elton Brand, Bulls forward

To me I consider mountaineering a sport and more than that.
What is your oppinion about mountaineering, it is or not a sport.

Re: Mountaineering controversy

Postby lazy climber » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:15 pm

Amen for Ernest, although in his day motor car racing was a whole lot different than it is today. I think he might have added bull riding (now that is crazy) and maybe certain types of motor cycle racing.

Till you have climbed it is hard for non-climbers to understand the issues.

Postby jfox » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:20 pm

catbus-x wrote:What is your oppinion about mountaineering, it is or not a sport.

My opinion is "Who gives a sh*t?!?" By trying to categorize something as abstract and personal as mountaineering, you detract from the experience and trivialize the endeavor. From the quotes above, it seems that most of those idiots don't have a clue about mountaineering, example, "...if you fall you die." Not always. If that were the case, I don't think anyone would do it. They obviously don't know about ropes and pro. Its also human nature for people to attack or dismiss things they are ignorant about or afraid of.

For me its about pushing my limits and stepping across artificial boundaries that society has placed on us; take no risk. Heck, one of the quoters above said themselves that climbers are "crazy" & "stupid". They live in a safe world and lead boring sedentary lives IMHO. Adversity introduces a man to himself. Climbing is and should be a very personal thing. I can't even quite define the reason I do it, so how could anyone quantify that or put it in a category? I applaud anyone who participates in this crazy endeavor. Sorry for the rant, just my $0.02

Postby Randonnee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 pm

The quotes from those who said climbing is not a sport appear to be people who perform in stadiums where others can watch them perform. In which case:

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny."

(Thomas Jefferson)

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:24 pm

I don't give a rat's ass about what anyone but me thinks about mountaineering. I do it for me, not to please anyone else. Call it whatever you want... sport, crazy, hobby, stupid, whatever...

They could lump it in with knitting and extreme cuddling if they wanted too... makes no difference to me.

Postby Hacksaw » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:53 pm

catbus-x wrote:SPORT
"Anything that physically demanding has to be a sport, even if you don't keep score."
—Dave Hansen, Dodgers infielder

I'd say "ticking-off," all the 14ers is keeping score..... #-o

Postby Athos791 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:02 pm

Randonnee wrote:The quotes from those who said climbing is not a sport appear to be people who perform in stadiums where others can watch them perform. In which case:

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

+1 Boukreev had it right in my opinion, my favorite of his quotes (its also my signature). "We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing."
Oh, its Anatoli by the way, no y on the end.
Cheers
-Luke
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby smoove » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Well, my personal defintion of sport would have to include some sort of competitive aspect, i.e., competing against others. But who cares if it's technically a sport or not? We all love it. And it's certainly more physically challenging than many activities that are almost universally known as sports. As for Rod Smith's quote that it's crazy--sounds to me like he might admire mountaineers. How many times has someone boasted to you about some amazing physical endeavour and you've said, "Wow...that is just crazy." What you might really be thinking is, "Wow, I admit I'd kind of like to try that someday...."

Postby catbus-x » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks for your comments, still people has mix reactions about climb/mountaineering. I have one brother and each year, he goes for a triathlon. Well, last September I invited him to climb his first 14er (Elbert), and he almost give up at 13K ft. He felt tired, and he left his backpack on the trail carrying only a bottle of water to the summit. After his experience he changed his mind, and he told me climb is beyond than triathlon. But it is a lonely-sport (even if you go with a group). He felt frustrated because he reached the summit without the backpack.
As I said before, I love mountaineering. Perhaps I'll never get a medal or trophy, but set a foot on the summit is more than a game !!!

Postby mountaingoat-G » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:48 pm

catbus-x wrote:Most of the time, is frustrating to talk to average people,

LOL, enough said?

Postby mtnview » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Well once your "competitive career" is over, and some of us never really had one:) and you are sitting in your corporate cubicle farm staring at a computer all day I can't think of a better sport to engage in than mountain climbing.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:01 pm

Who cares if others consider it a sport or not?
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Next