Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Need to join a Mountaineering Club, which?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Need to join a Mountaineering Club, which?

Postby boleslav » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:43 pm

I know this sounds strange... and it is a bit.
We have extensive experience trekking and backpacking independently (ei carrying our own tent, food, water filter etc) in the many countries likeNew Zealand, Czech Republic, Nepal Himalayas, Rocky Mountains in Colorado, Patagonia, Slovakia, Russia.
Yet it seems that if we wish to do a 4-5 day trek in one particular national park of Sounth America we either have to
do so with a guide or show a current membership to a mountain club and then we can do it solo, provided we are memebers of a mountaineering club.

Would you please advise a mountain club which membership fee is not too steep and we can join them, it seems to be a matter of paperwork for the NP.
thank you

Re: Need to join a Mountaineering Club, which?

Postby Randonnee » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:37 pm

To meet a requirement like that the American Alpine Club is the best way to go. They tend to represent U.S. mountaineers on the international level, and most likely will be known by the agency that issues your permits.
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny."

(Thomas Jefferson)

Postby TomPierce » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:38 pm

I agree with Randonee. The AAC has international credibility and also has some decent rescue insurance, as I recall.

Postby ClimbandMine » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Agreed. AAC is a good group. I can only justify the fee for international trips. The insurance is nice, again especially for international trips, but for trips in the lower 48 I still can't justify it to myself. Just my thoughts.
I don't care that you Tele.

Postby CO Native » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:16 pm

I'd start by seeing if that NP has a list of accepted mountaineering clubs. AAC is likely to be on it, but you'd hate to join only to find out it's not one they recognize.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Steve Bonowski » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:11 am

CO Native has a real good point about further checking. Sounds to me like a method to get money to their local guides since showing a membership card in an organization proves nothing about your background or skill level. Also, I'm curious which park/country has this requirement. That would be good information to know.

As for AAC, I've belonged since 1993. I do very little with them, but enjoy the membership. If you join in part to rely on the insurance, be sure to read the "fine print" first. They changed formats a year or so ago. I don't remember all the details now and don't have time to check today. But, it seems like you would have to call a toll free number in the US just to trigger some action wherever you're at. I had a guy last year on Mustagh Ata with pulmonary edema who had to descend even down from base camp. The insurance would not have been helpful in that situation. Steve

Postby boleslav » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:00 am

Thank you for the replies. The park in question is Huascaran park in Peru. I absolutely agree with the fact that a membership in a mountaineering club provides no guarantees of the person's sills, physical abilities or ethics. I believe that the reason for them to ask if we are a member of mountaineering club is a fact that in this particular park they have had issues with people backpacking and leaving trash behind ( or so they say).
Will check with them on the list of clubs..great idea, thank you.

Postby CO Native » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:12 am

If they're not real picky about which club you belong to, just let them know you belong to the elite 14ers.com club. 8)

Postby CO Native » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:13 am

10,130 members and counting.

Postby boleslav » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:52 am

CoNative- that would be good idea if they would not insist on:
" so when you come to Huaraz you have to bring your mountain club card (Original), your passport and to buy the HNP ticket (S/. 65.00), and that´s enough."
So if Bill can issue a membership card, my problem is solved :), I'll gladly pay for the membership fee

Postby CO Native » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:05 am

Make your own 14ers.com custom badge. Runs about $15 a piece if only done 1 at a time.
http://www.photo-badge.com/photo-id-badges.asp

Postby CO Native » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:19 am

Yes, I'm a member....

14er card.jpg
14er card.jpg (24.78 KiB) Viewed 541 times

Next