Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

STOP! Avy time!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: STOP! Avy time!

Postby d_baker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:49 am

Definitely an amazing and a lucky rescue...I hope the guy recovers from his injuries and gets out there again.

On another avy note...on the CAIC website they have this report from the Gore range...which is also amazing.
http://avalanche.state.co.us/pub/accide ... t=20090116

Postby CO Native » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:40 am

CAIC did their report on the one in the OP here too:
http://avalanche.state.co.us/pub/accidents_co.php?accident=20090129
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Vermont Refugee » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Media Dude spotted the most interesting reading of the day in the exchange between 'Skiergirl' and half the town of Telluride. I wonder if she was run out of town on a rail or just slipped out to another town...
That's some catch that catch 22

1mtnman

Postby 1mtnman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:24 pm

perhaps you punters (those who elevate themselves above an accident) should rather read up on the CAIC website and try to learn something for yourselves from this story!

when i originally joined, i was asked i should contribute some knowledge but since then i come to realize that posting any knowledge on this site is a waste of time! what an utter difference to other relates sites this is!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:11 pm

1mtnman wrote:perhaps you punters (those who elevate themselves above an accident) should rather read up on the CAIC website and try to learn something for yourselves from this story!

when i originally joined, i was asked i should contribute some knowledge but since then i come to realize that posting any knowledge on this site is a waste of time! what an utter difference to other relates sites this is!

Then leave. It's amusing when people post about how much they dislike a site!
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby bigmac » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:40 pm

jimlup wrote:A good story for reminding us why we wear our Avalanche beacons! He apparently had it on and was found faster as a result. Cool - most glad it turned out as a survival story!

Becons are awesome, but the knowledge to use one is even more so. Because if you can't find him... all you have left is a probe line...

I personally thought skier girl was hilarious. I actually had a person tell me not to wear an avalung because you should never be in a place to need it... apparently wearing an avalung/learning how to use a becon/ knowing about avalanches makes you suicidal... who knew?
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Sir Edmund Hillary

I Immediately regret this decision.

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:41 am

bigmac wrote:I personally thought skier girl was hilarious. I actually had a person tell me not to wear an avalung because you should never be in a place to need it... apparently wearing an avalung/learning how to use a becon/ knowing about avalanches makes you suicidal... who knew?

Everytime there's an accident it seems there are posters on the news websites that say things like skier girl (Just leave the trapped skier behind, yada, yada...). According to some we're all suicidal just for getting off our couches.

Sounds like Eric is doing much better. Cheers Eric!

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20090202/NEWS/902029952/1002/FRONTPAGE&title=Avy%20survivor%20thought%20he%20escaped%20danger
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Previous