Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Seven Summits Yougest Completed

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Seven Summits Yougest Completed

Postby Titan_20 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:54 pm

What is the yougest anyone has completed the Seven Summits? The youngest I found was 23 years 9 days. I completed the 14ers in 14 months this last year(I know it's slow compared to cavedog but decent I think). I am 21 and looking for bigger challenges so my next list is the seven summits(or 9) . Does anyone have advice on becoming sponsored? Ideas? I have one more semester left of electrical engineering at CU but would put it off if I could just get out and climb the tallest of the tall.
Finished the 14ers in colorado :) If anyone ever needs a partner to hike with PM me I usually climb solo. I hike, rock climb, and snowboard as much as my schedule will allow.

Re: Seven Summits Yougest Completed

Postby Titan_20 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:45 am

Nevermind I found out right after I posted this, the youngest is 18 years and something. Guess I'll have to find something something else maybe fastest but is pretty fast less than half a year. I don't know.
Finished the 14ers in colorado :) If anyone ever needs a partner to hike with PM me I usually climb solo. I hike, rock climb, and snowboard as much as my schedule will allow.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:56 am

How about:

First couple to complete the Seven Summits? (Phil and Susan Ershler). “Together on Top of the World” – Susan was nice enough to send me a copy autographed by her and her famous mountain guide husband! Not your typical mountaineering tome - a little fluffy for my usual taste - but Phil's accomplishments in light of his incredibly challenging health issues are beyond inspirational, they're mind-boggling. Susan's willingness - as a sales exec with no mountain experience - to take on her husband's climbing goals, and succeed spectacularly, is a testiment to the power of love and commitment.

First couple to complete the Seven Summits plus ski to the North and South Poles? (Rob and Jo Gambi). “Holding On” – I got that one for a present. Haven't read it yet.
So many books… so little time.

Enjoy the peaks dude, and breaking records - but don't forget to slow down every now and then, to stop and smell the... rocks.

Good luck getting sponsored. In the current economy it may be difficult to get companies to part with money for something like that - in general, non-essential budgets are seeing freezes (or being cut completely), and companies are "toning down" their images. Superfluous spending just isn't cool with the current unemployment rate. Not trying to bring you down - just setting realistic expectations :-)

Postby CorduroyCalves » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:38 am

susanjoypaul wrote:How about:

First couple to complete the Seven Summits? (Phil and Susan Ershler). “Together on Top of the World” – Susan was nice enough to send me a copy autographed by her and her famous mountain guide husband! Not your typical mountaineering tome - a little fluffy for my usual taste - but Phil's accomplishments in light of his incredibly challenging health issues are beyond inspirational, they're mind-boggling. Susan's willingness - as a sales exec with no mountain experience - to take on her husband's climbing goals, and succeed spectacularly, is a testiment to the power of love and commitment.

First couple to complete the Seven Summits plus ski to the North and South Poles? (Rob and Jo Gambi). “Holding On” – I got that one for a present. Haven't read it yet.
So many books… so little time.

Enjoy the peaks dude, and breaking records - but don't forget to slow down every now and then, to stop and smell the... rocks.

Good luck getting sponsored. In the current economy it may be difficult to get companies to part with money for something like that - in general, non-essential budgets are seeing freezes (or being cut completely), and companies are "toning down" their images. Superfluous spending just isn't cool with the current unemployment rate. Not trying to bring you down - just setting realistic expectations :-)

Good point, Susan. I'm waiting for someone to complete their first rim to rim to rim to rim to rim to rim to rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon.

In 24 hrs, of course :wink:
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby ndolbeare » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:24 am

Titan_20 wrote:Guess I'll have to find something something else maybe fastest but is pretty fast less than half a year. I don't know.

6 months would be cruising. A buddy of mine did all 7 summits (he walked up Mount Kosciuszko instead of Carstensz Pyramid due to timing & money issues) in a year and he spent over 200+ days in the hills to accomplish it. He also threw in a summit of Cho Oyu and a few laps up Rainier for good measure. Based on the climbing seasons on the various mountains it seems like 6 months would be tough. Denali, Vinson, Aconcagua and Everest have climbing seasons that aren't too negotiable unless you're willing to brave some less than pleasant conditions.

Good luck with the record-setting.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 am

Nobody seems interested in the centennial speed record for some reason. It should be doable in under 20 days.

It's getting harder and harder to find real "firsts" to accomplish, but I do know somebody that recently became the first female Buddhist glider instructor to both finish the 14ers and get a black belt in karate. Maybe with some surgery and some training you could find your own niche.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby gme » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:58 am

Speed-climbing the Seven Summits is problematic at best due to their climbing seasons. The best weeks for both Vinson Massif and Aconcagua are going to nearly coincide during the Southern Hemisphere's summer, probably making them mutually exclusive as both are pretty big time investments. Denali and Everest present the same problem only bigger as they require even bigger chunks of time. Your only hope would be to get real early summit window on Everest, say first week of May, and then get out of Asia and over to Alaska ASAP and get Denali done and get out before they quit flying into the Kahiltna. The rest you squeeze in elsewhere.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Jim Davies wrote:It's getting harder and harder to find real "firsts" to accomplish, but I do know somebody that recently became the first female Buddhist glider instructor to both finish the 14ers and get a black belt in karate. Maybe with some surgery and some training you could find your own niche.

If you put your mind to it you can probably claim a first. I’m sure I’m the first Nova Scotian to have climbed all the fourteeners with someone from Iowa and a miniature polar bear!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Scott P » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:07 pm

It's getting harder and harder to find real "firsts" to accomplish, but I do know somebody that recently became the first female Buddhist glider instructor to both finish the 14ers and get a black belt in karate. Maybe with some surgery and some training you could find your own niche.

Hmmm, I never thought about it before, but I wonder if Kessler was the first baby ever to visit one of the Seven Summits in a pumpkin suit? :-k

I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:58 pm

The first of many "firsts" for the mighty Kessler, I'm sure. :D Is he sponsored yet?
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby CUaaron25 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:28 pm

Scott P wrote:

Hmmm, I never thought about it before, but I wonder if Kessler was the first baby ever to visit one of the Seven Summits in a pumpkin suit? :-k

Gerber should be all over that!!! =D>

Postby schumi248 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:52 am

gme wrote:Speed-climbing the Seven Summits is problematic at best due to their climbing seasons. The best weeks for both Vinson Massif and Aconcagua are going to nearly coincide during the Southern Hemisphere's summer, probably making them mutually exclusive as both are pretty big time investments. Denali and Everest present the same problem only bigger as they require even bigger chunks of time. Your only hope would be to get real early summit window on Everest, say first week of May, and then get out of Asia and over to Alaska ASAP and get Denali done and get out before they quit flying into the Kahiltna. The rest you squeeze in elsewhere.

Climbing the seven summits in a calendar year would probably be an accomplishment :)

Next