Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Why do you love mountaineering?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Why do you love mountaineering?

Postby larkinrx2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:40 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:
wsharber wrote:5 ) Have you ever wanted to simply quit your job

YES!

Again, thanks a whole lot!

Sure. Anytime.

+1
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby unclegar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:58 pm

1 ) Have you been into hiking and mountaineering all your life? Or has it been a more recent interest? I didn't see a mountain until I was 22. But I always enjoyed hiking in the woods as a kid in IL where I grew up. I spent a lot of time "exploring" in the woods and swimming in the creeks.

2 ) Are you avid about hiking/mountaineering? Or is it just something you may do every once in a while with a couple of buddies? I think I have become avid in the past year. For a few years before this I hiked a lot in RMNP and had been up Pikes and Longs Peaks. I spent an entire night hiking near Longs due to having insufficient directions and also due to hiking alone. It was a very bad experience in some ways but also showed me how much I was capable of in other ways. Since then, I decided last year to make an attempt at all the 14ers and started over counting them.

3 ) Do you find yourself thinking about and wishing to be on the mountain or on the trails often? yes

4 ) Do you believe in Ed Viesturs' motto of "Getting to the top is optional, but getting down is mandatory", or are you willing to take the risk? I definitely believe you should know when to turn around and have had to do this once so far. I didn't want to, but it was obvious that it was the correct choice for the circumstances.

5 ) Have you ever wanted to simply quit your job and just climb for the rest of your life? I constantly want to quit my job but I don't think my knees could take a life of climbing. There is much more to life than climbing but I will say that I really enjoy the challenge and try to take in the beauty of God's creation while I'm out there.

6 ) Is it all about gaining the summit? Or do you cherish every moment of the ascent and descent, whether you summit or not? See answer 5 :D The summit is definitely the goal but life is a journey and so is the climb to the summit. I won't say I cherish every moment but I do "stop and smell the roses" on the way.

7 ) Do you prefer going solo? With a group? Both? I enjoy going solo but I also enjoy the company of others. I enjoy meeting new people and continuing with them for the duration (or just part) of a hike that started solo.

8 ) Do you enjoy running into climbers who are new to the sport on the trails or not? Why or why not? Sure. I try to be encouraging to them knowing I have been discouraged or slightly lost or whatever in the past.

9 ) If you were talking to someone who simply doesn't understand why we put ourselves in such harsh conditions to hike brutal distances just for the chance to reach the summit, what would you tell them? I enjoy the mental and physical challenge and the sense of accomplishment when the hike is done. I feel that when I'm done, my mind, body and spirit all got somewhat of a workout and that I'm better for it. I enjoy just being out in creation and appreciating the beauty in the differences I see. I would like to say I enjoy treating myself to a nice meal and a beer as a reward, but many times as it turns out I'm ready to get home and don't want to take the time.

10 ) Describe what you feel when you finally gain the summit... I'm usually hungry. :lol: I have been fortunate to have pretty good weather at the top of most peaks and usually take my time (an hour or so) to eat and rest and take in all the beauty. It definitely feels like a sense of accomplishment and one peak closer to my goal.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby CO_girl66 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 pm

1 ) Have you been into hiking and mountaineering all your life? Or has it been a more recent interest?
I have been raised around the mountains but within the past two years I've gotten much more into the outdoors than I have ever been before.

2 ) Are you avid about hiking/mountaineering? Or is it just something you may do every once in a while with a couple of buddies?
I'd say I'm pretty avid. My climbing buddy and I try to do at least one every week during the season.

3 ) Do you find yourself thinking about and wishing to be on the mountain or on the trails often?
Oh yea, there's nothing like the fresh mountain air and the beautiful landscapes to make you forget about every problem that lies back home.

4 ) Do you believe in Ed Viesturs' motto of "Getting to the top is optional, but getting down is mandatory", or are you willing to take the risk?
For sure, it's a great quote.

5 ) Have you ever wanted to simply quit your job and just climb for the rest of your life?
Oh I would love to make a career out of it but that's just something that isn't an option as of now.

6 ) Is it all about gaining the summit? Or do you cherish every moment of the ascent and descent, whether you summit or not?
Of course it's nice to say you've climbed that mountain but for me, it's more about the person I become when I'm on the mountain. Everything seems so tribule, which in all reality it is. It really helps me put things into perspective and know that no matter what may be causing me problems in my life that there are so many greater things out there.

7 ) Do you prefer going solo? With a group? Both?
I like being in the wilderness alone but going with a group is always fun too. Idealy I would have to say going with one friend and keeping about a quarter mile between each other during the climb that way you're 'alone' but still have someone if something goes wrong.

8 ) Do you enjoy running into climbers who are new to the sport on the trails or not? Why or why not?
Yes, it's always nice to share your knowledge of the sport. Plus, it's nice to warn them about things that have happened to you so that they may not have to have the same rough experiences.

9 ) If you were talking to someone who simply doesn't understand why we put ourselves in such harsh conditions to hike brutal distances just for the chance to reach the summit, what would you tell them?
I just tell them that there isn't any way to explain the feeling you get when you reach the summit and you can't even begin to understand it unless you've done it. Then I usually go on to say that it humbles you and in my opinion, that form of humbling is the best feeling.

10 ) Describe what you feel when you finally gain the summit...
As I've said, humbled, overwhelmed, accomplished, and most of all; thankful. Thankful that I can do this sport and experience these amazing mountains and make them a part of my life.
Do what you like. Like what you do. Optimism can take you anywhere.

You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again... So why bother in the first place? Just this, what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen.There is an art to conducting oneself in the lower region by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can see no longer, one can at least know.
Rene Daumal

Postby Kiefer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:44 am

Survey:

1 ) Have you been into hiking and mountaineering all your life? Or has it been a more recent interest?
Ever since 1981 when my family moved to Colorado
2 ) Are you avid about hiking/mountaineering? Or is it just something you may do every once in a while with a couple of buddies?
Pretty dam avid about it. It's not a pastime nor a hobby.
3 ) Do you find yourself thinking about and wishing to be on the mountain or on the trails often?
About 90% of the time. The other 10% I'm either sleeping, drinking beer, nursing an espresso or having wild, animal sex.
4 ) Do you believe in Ed Viesturs' motto of "Getting to the top is optional, but getting down is mandatory", or are you willing to take the risk?
Yes, I believe in his creed. However, risks have been taken in the past.
5 ) Have you ever wanted to simply quit your job and just climb for the rest of your life?
I actually have quit my job to climb! Climbing Teakettle and 'Coffeepot' were more important then driving back to Boulder to stock shelves at
King Soopers.

6 ) Is it all about gaining the summit? Or do you cherish every moment of the ascent and descent, whether you summit or not?
It USED to be all about the summit.......then I grew up and realized that if that were the case, then what was the difference between that and finishing the beer tour at Old Chicago's? Nothing. Just as in love & life, it's about the moments in between. The summit= validation.
7 ) Do you prefer going solo? With a group? Both?
I prefer solo but don't mind people.
8 ) Do you enjoy running into climbers who are new to the sport on the trails or not? Why or why not?
Sometimes, yes, sometimes, no, but Mainly, yes. I like hearing about their experiences/delights/gripes along the same path I once was on.
9 ) If you were talking to someone who simply doesn't understand why we put ourselves in such harsh conditions to hike brutal distances just for the chance to reach the summit, what would you tell them?
I climb/trek for the same reasons that when you go to church and praise God to leave refreshed, happy & faithful or when you look at your spouse or children
and feel nothing but love and peace. In my case, not only is it an emotional connection but also a psychological & physical one.

10 ) Describe what you feel when you finally gain the summit...
Content, confident and strangely, empty & alone. I won't explain that either.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Previous