Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Training program?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Training program?

Postby prone2jodl » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:49 pm

as an addendum/disclaimer to my previous post, these are explosive motions, so it would be a good idea to do some sort of a warm-up to avoid straining or pulling anything. i think 5 minutes of jogging on spot and some conventional stretching (esp. hamstrings and groin) would do the trick.
Stünd ich, Natur, vor dir ein Mann allein,
Da wär's der Mühe wert, ein Mensch zu sein.

Postby Devi911 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:25 pm

Alpine Ascents has a pretty involved program for climbing Denali: http://www.alpineascents.com/denali-train.asp
A fall from the third floor hurts as much as a fall from the hundredth. If i have to fall, may it be from a high place.

-paolo coelho

Postby jimlup » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:32 pm

Devi911 wrote:Alpine Ascents has a pretty involved program for climbing Denali: http://www.alpineascents.com/denali-train.asp

I'm currently using this program program as I'm training for their Denali prep course this coming summer. They refer to Body Results, which is the company that they consult.

http://www.bodyresults.com/

They are pretty helpful and have suggestions on stretches and strength training for mountaineering. I'd recommend their DVD:

http://www.bodyresults.com/store/drainier.html
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby catbus-x » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:02 am

On my situatuion I live in Kansas (no mountains), so I have a bakcpack and I put 4 gallons of water (32 lb) so I walk 3 miles on it, and in the gym the same way, arc trainer, treadmill.

Postby Hobopoet » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:50 am

I have a similar problem training in Michigan. You might be doing all you can now. I'm not sure about training by carrying water, though. That sounds a bit unstable to me. I train with 30 pounds of dog food in my pack! I've had some success by doing one long (2 to 4 hours) training session per week. Even the most straightforward 14er route will take time. These longer workouts seem to give me an advantage. Best of luck! :)

Postby paul109876 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:06 pm

I do the same things as mentioned, stair master and treadmill at 15% incline with a 25-30 lb pack for an hour at a time.
But I do suggest walking on the treadmill backwards for short periods with the incline set up as well. This is to strengthen the front quads which take a beating on the way down a mountain and it will give you more knee stabilization.
In warmer months we hit the bleachers at the local college up and down with a pack for an hour.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby catbus-x » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Hey hobopoet.
I saw those sacs, are big. The advantage using water is the space. I use those gallons of water (89 cents each) that you may find in any walmart store; each of them fit perfectly on a backpack.
Good luck !!!

Postby Swampy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks everyone. That's a good place to start. No substitute for being in the mountains I suppose.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:20 pm

My 2 cents:

Sport specific training is invaluable. If you can get out and hike with a heavy pack a few days a week then do it. If not then mimic as best you can (stair climbers and actual stairs are great). This will build the right muscles. However for most people climbing peaks at altitude, muscles aren't the issue, lungs are. I know several small skinny folks that are machines in the mountains, one of them is preparing for an unguided Everest trip and having climbed with him a lot, I like his chances.

The best way to reach your genetic cardio potential, as explained to me by a climbing friend who is also a doctor, is interval training. Essentially it involves short intense bursts of cardio work sustaining your max heart rate for a period. Then a short rest before going again. I incorporated this into my Denali training several years ago and the results were irrefutable. My distance run times dramatically improved as did my ability to sustain a good pace for long periods in the mountains. One thing to be aware of is that it is very stressful on the body and should not be overdone.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/Intervals.htm

Good luck.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Chicago 14er » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:09 pm

I live in Chicago so finding way to train can be a trick. Try loading your pack with all your gear then add ten bounds of dead weight. Find bleachers(highschools will do the trick) and climb them up and down for a hour three times a week.
Make sure to very your steps. For example take one stair at a time up then two at a time on the way down and vice/versa. Also cut across them in a z pattern(simulating switchbacks). This will help build the stablizing muscles you need.

Postby Gary Brady » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Living in Nebraska and trying to train for moutaineering in Colorado has always been a challenge for me. But what I have found to be successful is to basically complete any consistent aerobic training. I have tried several: running, ellitical, treadmill, etc.) The best one for me is simply walking or hiking as much as possible. During the summer, I worked up to 8 miles a day. With this training, I had no problems with any of the 14ers I climbed. I completed 8 last year. For me there is nothing easier or more enjoyable than walking. Isn't that what most us do when we "climb" the most of the 14ers? I know there are many technical routes, but there are also many simple walk ups. To be successful, at a minimum you must be able to walk the distance. To build the stamina necessary for the evelation gain, I believe you just need to step up the mileage of your training. Of course adding hills to any training program is certainly a plus.
You guys have fun climbing this weekend. I can't go. Lumbergh's gonna have me come in on Saturday, I just know it.

Postby wildernessdoc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:05 pm

I would like to add another suggestion, and that is to work on "Core" strength. It should be an objective and not just an extra that gets tossed in. A strong core will make each body motion more efficient and sustainable. I don't want to endorse any one particular website or workout, but just be sure that whatever you choose incorporates core strengthening into the workout. It can be done as part of each exercise or as a separate phase, but it needs to be taken seriously for you to maximize your potential. Depending on your body and fitness, you may want to add some strength training and stretching to the mix. The point of this is to ensure that your joints are stable yet mobile. A strong core with strong flexible joints can mean the difference between a sprained knee and surgery.

My suggestion for you would be to incorporate interval training, core, strength/flexibility and activity simulation. A little research in each category will give you plenty of choices in exercises. If you're dedicated to them all, you will be amazed at how capable you will be. You wouldn't omit essential gear, so don't skimp on your physique. Have fun with it, and best of luck.

PreviousNext