Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Training program?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Training program?

Postby Swampy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:21 pm

I am planning on taking a couple multi day trips this year and was wondering if anyone had a good training program for general mountaineering? I have been able to get up and down a few peaks thus far on basic fitness but I want to prepared for much tough climbs and longer trips. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Training program?

Postby Presto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:35 pm

I know this sounds like the easy way out (or maybe not), but I've found the best training it to just hike and climb more often, including hiking on longer trips, increasing your miles, packing a bit more weight, etc. ... :D Nothing compares to actually having your pack on, putting the miles on your boots, gaining and losing elevation at altitude.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Swampy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Unfortunately the job gets in the way of all the times I'd like to get out. :?

Any particular things I can do after work at the gym or at the park; running, biking, etc.?

Postby CRAIGO » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:45 pm

Swampy wrote:Any particular things I can do after work at the gym or at the park; running, biking, etc.?

YES! All of the above will help. I agree, nothing compares to actually going out and hiking, but you can work on your cardio in the winter. Also, get out and snowshoe on your weekends. Get 8 miles in snow. That'll whip you into shape quickly. Just my 2 cents.

Postby Presto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Sorry Swampy :? . I'm sure some others will chime in with helpful information. When I'm stuck in town, I do ride my bike multiple times a week, do brisk walking ('cause my knees can't take running), do pilates and some light weightlifting. I guess some of that helps. Hard to replicate elevation gain and loss with a heavy pack at altitude. Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby colowolf » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:50 pm

I have found that the step mills/master (machine in which steps come at you, not the pedal type) work very well at mimicing hiking. Over the past few weeks I have used one in the gym several times a week with a weighted pack and was surprised that once I got out in the hills it had definitely helped. As has been mentioned, the best training is to hike/climb. But I am also a firm believer in overall conditioning and crosstraining. I suppose you could even more try to approximate the conditions by wearing hiking shoes/boots.

Good luck.
Ask me about my vow of silence..

Postby Swampy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:54 pm

Seems like the consensus is I will have to make my way out of the office and into the mountains. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I travel a lot for work and was hoping for some alternatives when I'm on the road. I haven't done the step-mill so I will try that - with my pack. I don't ride but have thought about it so perhaps it's time. I will have to put something strict into plan just because that's the type of personality I am. Thanks.

Postby weschun » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:56 pm

+1 to what colowolf said.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Postby Perea » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:27 pm

I got a perfect workout for you it's called p90x http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitnes ... agodbD3oYw do this for 90 days and not only will you be superfit but you will be flexible. You can do this workout in your hotel room or at home. it works on all aspects of fitness cardio,strength,flexibility and endurance.

Postby mtn_hikin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Some guys I work with have been doing the P90 for a couple months. It appears to be a pretty good workout.

Postby Perea » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:16 pm

yeah i had always ran and lifted but this takes it to a whole new level.

Postby prone2jodl » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:39 pm

My advice would be plyometrics (using your own body weight as resistance) and pilates.
These are versatile exercises that can be done in small time intervals, confined spaces, and focus on lower body and core strength.
As far as specific exercises:
Walking lunges, with or without free weights (exaggerated, elongated steps... step with one foot up and over your knee, and reach it out in front of you so that your whole body lowers and your front knee is bent at a 90 deg angle, and your trail knee is just off the floor. keep your hands at your sides and back straight. then bring your trail leg up and over, and repeat, walking down a hallway and back)
Split jumps (essentially lunges done in place)
Squat thrusts (jump up, tuck your knees to your chest, re-extend, land, frog position, then kick your legs out behind you in a pushup position, then bring them back under you and jump again... this is all one motion sort of)
Mountain Climbers (from a pushup position, bring one knee up to your chest. drive that leg back as you drive the opposite leg forward. repeat in sets of 25)
One-legged jumps (jump laterally on one foot)
Leg-ups (in an exaggerated running motion, quickly drive one leg up to touch an elevated object (bench, bed, etc) and then the next)
There are a bunch more of these, but these are my favorites...
For Pilates, I like bridges (pushup position, support yourself with your forearms, move your elbows furhter from the center of your body for successive reps), supermans, and bicycle crunches
There are also a lot of good variations on pushups by varying arm width or incline. My faves are diamond pushups for your triceps. Bring your hands together to form a diamond slightly further out than for a normal pushup. Try to do 10.
Also, a cardio base is always nice to have, but tough to maintain on the road.
Stünd ich, Natur, vor dir ein Mann allein,
Da wär's der Mühe wert, ein Mensch zu sein.

Next