Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Hood Tragedy

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Mt. Hood Tragedy

Postby JoeyJ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:51 pm

Was checking the forecast and noticed this link:

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/video ... hp_video_2

Have not heard that much about falling ice on mountains- just terrible. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to see that happen to someone while climbing- let alone your mate. Unbearable. Prayers for the man who survived.

---

hmm- link didn't work. It's titled "climber dies from falling ice" I think, on the front page of weather.com.
"Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters."
John Wooden

Re: Mt. Hood Tragedy

Postby Bodhi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Sad story...I can't imagine having to go through that.

Try this link.
Peace is every step. ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Postby lazy climber » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:02 pm

Never a good thing when a climber gets killed. If you watch the clip they are showing the route.You are usually relatively safe on Hood till you get to the upper slopes and then you are below the cliff's most of the way, and as the weather warms up it can become a bowling alley. There is ice/snow plastered all over the rocks and this early in the season things are not that stable.

The clip did not say where they were when they got hit or if they were wearing helmets.You do not know if things just started coming down or if they continued up into the fall zone and at this point it does not matter.

I usually try to be up and back to the parking lot by 9-10 Am because of the rock/ice fall hazards and we did have some warming during that time but I was still a little surprised by this accident, as in if things are coming down the hill you need to be going down as well.

Hood is easily accesible and looks fairly easy and for the most part it is easy but sometimes I think it does things just to keep us on our toes.

Postby lazy climber » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:43 pm

For those who have climbed Hood via the south side "standard" route you know that you hiked up the hill, around the right of Crater Rock (usually) and then up onto the Hogsback and then up through the Pearly Gates, a gully through the rocks to the summit slope. In general you were realatively safe from falling debris till you got up to the Gates because the stuff would go to the right or left of the boot path.

Due to global warming or whatever the Hogsback has shifted west over the last 2-3 years and now dead ends into a rock/ice face. You have to traverse east or west under the rock wall to access a gully to get through to the top. This is not a good place to be at any time and in warm weather or later in the day can get exciting. You could traverse way west from the lower Hogsback and then up to avoid some of the debris but that puts you over one of the steam vents and a fall into that would not be pleasant.

We had a slow start in the season and then in Dec got whacked with a lot of snow and then it warmed up and rained so I have been a chicken and have been waiting for the snow pack/conditions to settle down before I go up the hill but would assume that the access to the upper slopes via the Hogsback have not changed and the climb is a bit harder and not as "safe" as it used to be.

For whatever reason, conditions seem to be changing on the hills over the last few years and we need to be prepared at all times.