Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski mountaineering project page (photos)

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Site Administrator

Re: Ski mountaineering project page (photos)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:57 am

Here are a few close to home, for me...

This line off of Crystal Peak is a lot of fun!

And this one on Atlantic Peak is one of my favorite runs in the area. Hard to get conditions right, but it's such a great ski into that bowl. The "y" couloir on the right is good too:

Looking down Quandary Couloir (north face). I still haven't skied this one because the top is often in bad shape:

The north side of North Star Mtn. - someday I will hit that couloir that drops to the Blue Lakes Reservoir:
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:01 pm

SchralpTheGnar wrote:This thread is a testament to the high level of talent participating in the amazing discipline that is broadly referred to as ski mountaineering. Some really ambitious people out there, 100+ foot hucks in the backcountry are for the few and the brave. Personally my ski mountaineering project is to ski as many peaks for as long as I can while having a good time. Since I only ski 10-20 days a year, a ski down something like Wetterhorn Peak provides all the excitement that I can handle. The bigger more visionary lines I leave to the legends like gb. :D

Definitely! I am hoping to "branch out" a little more this year, but still boils down to just having a good time! It sure beats postholing on snowshoes, and you get to the car a lot faster! I skied Fitzpatrick the previous weekend, 5 hrs up, under 45 minutes down :D
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:04 pm

A good time to revive this thread I think. Does anyone have a pic of said: Hossack McGowan line off the Grand?
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby gb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:32 pm

^^^ Huh, I just finished reading all three of Romeo's H-M posts. Good stuff. Bad-ass line. More raps than I find aesthetically pleasing, but a bad-ass line nonetheless.

Postby Bean » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:47 pm

gb wrote:^^^ Huh, I just finished reading all three of Romeo's H-M posts. Good stuff. Bad-ass line. More raps than I find aesthetically pleasing, but a bad-ass line nonetheless.

Get out there and air it out in style.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby killingcokes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:09 pm

The raps seem to be a given on the Grand. Ford/Stettner has 2 or 3 I believe. I don't think I'll be going there cause if I did and made it back alive my wife would kill me for sure.

Postby gb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:23 pm

Yeah, I really don't find the Grand to be all that aesthetic as a ski descent. A certain Teton ski mountaineer even described it as more of a "novelty" when I asked about it.

Anyway here's a place to go to overdose on eye candy: http://www.pbase.com/nolock/root&view=tree

the guy flies around and takes photos of cool peaks. Here's an example:

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:54 pm

Wow. It's always hard to figure steep in photos but that route looks aggressive to say the least.

GB, this link is quite dangerous. I think it needs a disclaimer.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby killingcokes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:01 pm

Yeah if you go to that link you may never leave your computer due to an extreme loss of saliva. Extreme loss of saliva may be rapid enough to induce drowning. You may never be able to function in society again due to constant state of jones

Postby doubleA » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:51 am

Wicked gallery- I wore a drool cup

Postby BIO_KNEE » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:49 am

Crap, I should have worn a bib!
"It is whom the meal is shared with, not what is eaten that makes it special." - Epicurus

PreviousNext