Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski mountaineering project page (photos)

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Ski mountaineering project page (photos)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 pm

Jim Davies wrote:I'm not about to try it, but I couldn't help wondering about the east fact of Cronin Peak when we hiked Antero at the end of September, 2006. Lots of little skinny snow lines going down the steep face at that point in the season.

Skied this one this morning. Quite a bit more snow at this point. Recommended.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Couloirman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:41 pm

http://www.kmcmag.com/features/KMC12_BigLines.pdf
(can anyone figure out how to post the pic from page 1 in this?)

Mt Bryce, the big face on the first page of that article. I need a partner, who wants to join me for "Without a doubt, at 3,507 metres (11,506 feet), Mount Bryce is the biggest, most logistically complicated, the most totally committing unskied gem of a north face left to ski in the Rockies, in Canada, and quite possibly, in North America." :D :D :D

If anyone sees this pic and snipes me on the line this spring I will not be a happy camper.

Im 100% serious, PM me if you're interested anyone...
Couloir than you are

Postby gb » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:48 am

^^^ Heh, I ran into that old copy of Kootenay Mountain Culture earlier this winter and drooled over those same lines. Looks like a fun one, but for me I'm not willing to go all the way up there for a 5 day slog to the base on the off chance that the line is in and the weather is too. Sick, sick line though and I'll be rooting for you if you give it a go.

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Couloirman wrote:http://www.kmcmag.com/features/KMC12_BigLines.pdf
(can anyone figure out how to post the pic from page 1 in this?)

After cutting and pasting and scaling a bit to get the aspect ratio to look right:
bryce.jpg
bryce.jpg (64.69 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby gb » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:35 pm

The east face of Thunder Pyramid has been on the list for a while now, but seeing it up close and personal a couple of days ago reminded me what a great line this is:

As an aside, my friends and I were discussing the other day that most lines in CO are less than 2,000', at least the parts that are steep. Most faces hit a high valley and get a bit more roll-y, even if the trailhead is 4k' or more from the summit. One exception is the Landry line on Pyramid, which is 4k and almost all of it is steeper than 35degrees. This line on Thunder would be similar. The E facing lines off of the bells (shown a few posts above) are maybe 3k. What else is big AND steep?

Postby tmahon » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Yes Frank, that's a good one. Your pic show the decreased snowpack this year. Here's one from last year, with Dav nearing the summit, you can most of the face is filled in.
thunder006.jpg
thunder006.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

and the ski-
thunder010.jpg
thunder010.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

Get it before this 60 degree and sunny pattern puts an end to it.

How are the snow bridges on brush creek? The traverse is next week, should we bring a change of socks?

ted

Postby d_baker » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:51 pm

A little off-topic, but has anyone seen the west face of Thunder recently? Pic's?
(I already talked to sgladbach about it, and he didn't have any photos from his Maroon climb.)

And where can I find beta for the Pearl?

Thanks if you can help,
Darin

Edit: I want to climb these routes, not ski them.

Postby gb » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Sorry Ted, haven't been out Brush Creek in a while. Give me a call if you have a chance to grab a beer or anything before the traverse.

Postby gb » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:08 pm

Bumping this one up, now that 'tis the season. Anyone getting some projects accomplished?

Skied this beauty for the first time in a few years (Ruby chute)

I've been waiting for this line on Schuykill to look good and it finally did the other day (spot the skier at the first crux):

Come on, more eye candy people! :)

Postby Kiefer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:06 pm

ChicagoTransplant got a good tight run in on Mt. Axtell down by Crested Butte.
For a low 12er, it looks pretty dam good. Nice sized bowl at the bottom.
Maybe he'll see this and post some pics.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:10 am

Yup, we skied 4th bowl on Axtell on Saturday (Thanks again for the ID Frank!). Lots of cool stuff not only on that mountain but in the whole area, definitely will be back again! Funky ski conditions, the brown snow was soft and kinda grippy (esp in the flats).

Our line down Axtell, unfortunately from above we missed the chute on the left and worked our way through the rocky gullies in the middle:
4thbowl.jpg
4th bowl on Axtell
4thbowl.jpg (105.2 KiB) Viewed 815 times

Me in the gully (photo by Ben White), funky brown snow abounds:
gully1.jpg
gully1.jpg (88.58 KiB) Viewed 817 times

Sunday was a mellow day, skied Snodgrass. Gothic looked pretty good from the trailhead...
gothic.jpg
Gothic
gothic.jpg (92.83 KiB) Viewed 812 times
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:05 am

This thread is a testament to the high level of talent participating in the amazing discipline that is broadly referred to as ski mountaineering. Some really ambitious people out there, 100+ foot hucks in the backcountry are for the few and the brave. Personally my ski mountaineering project is to ski as many peaks for as long as I can while having a good time. Since I only ski 10-20 days a year, a ski down something like Wetterhorn Peak provides all the excitement that I can handle. The bigger more visionary lines I leave to the legends like gb. :D

PreviousNext