Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski mountaineering project page (photos)

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Ski mountaineering project page (photos)

Postby gb » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:54 pm

So, I've got a number of projects that I would like to do this spring, but I've really been daydreaming lately about the upcoming spring ski mountaineering season. I can never have enough lines to dream about. Anyone have some lines they'd like to share? No worries if you've got something you want kept top secret, I've got some of those, too. :D Even for those of you who don't ski, I'd love to see anything you might think is skiable, too. Here's a couple to start:

This line on Broken Hand seems really aesthetic to me, so it's up near the top of my list this spring:

I won't be trying this line on Capitol. I've done my time on that mountain. But I think this line is super elegant and I hope somebody does it someday. Green represents the rap.

Re: Ski mountaineering project page (photos)

Postby Falcon3 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:48 pm

Ambitious- wow I can't wait til i can start getting good at skiing

Postby slopestyle » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Nice, what's the angle hanging out at on the top part of that line on Broken Hand? It looks pretty righteous up there. As for your comment on Capitol about having already done your time on that mountain, is that to be interpreted that you're one of the proud few that have made a ski off it? If you are I mean no disrespect, it's just hard to figure out who some folks are on this website.

Oops, after my post I looked at your profile, all I can say is tight.
~Sam
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY s**t!!...WHAT A HELL OF A RIDE!!!!"

Postby ajkagy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:08 pm

I got some gnarly lines i'd like to tackle in the indian peaks this spring...most of these secret :)

I would like to ski this line this spring...

http://www.wildsnow.com/1099/a-truly-cl ... -colorado/
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Carl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:58 am

gb wrote:So, I've got a number of projects that I would like to do this spring, but I've really been daydreaming lately about the upcoming spring ski mountaineering season. I can never have enough lines to dream about. Anyone have some lines they'd like to share?

I don't think I have anything planned Frank that you haven't already done :o . Mostly still thinking about 14ers.

If I ski Maroon again this spring I'd really like to hit the other side
(from cjw's photos gb linked me to)

Considering this Elk but I need to do a little more research.
For example, why don't more people who ski this line also climb it? The longer approach?

Also got my eye on Keplinger's. Not quite as intense, but I've been thinking a lot about it. Hopefully hit it with a little more snow than pictured.
Last edited by Carl on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby skiwall » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:07 am

Ok, so it's not as intense as those, and it's not really ski mountaineering I guess because it's not technical, but here's one of my lines (hopefully) for this weekend:

The Seagull! You can see it coming down from the top of Tuscarora (in the Wasatch).
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby drex27 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:57 am

Funny, I was looking at that line on Capitol this past year. Except I thought that I was crazy thinking that it would go. Good to see that others have the same eye.

d

Postby Prairie Native » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:16 am

Not trying to get my head chewed off in any way but: How do any some of these lines qualify as "skiable"? <----not a word?..........it seems to me some of these are to steep to ski and would be a ton of jump turns to get to a position to actually ski with the boards facing down. sure i could walk up and down capitol with skis on my feet but you guys wouldn't qualify that as skiing i dont think. i couldn't imagine skiing strait down the capitol face with a rope at the ready and lasso a rock to rap while going 600 mph...
Something witty.

Postby Carl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:41 am

Prairie Native wrote:Not trying to get my head chewed off in any way but: How do any some of these lines qualify as "skiable"? <----not a word?..........it seems to me some of these are to steep to ski and would be a ton of jump turns to get to a position to actually ski with the boards facing down. sure i could walk up and down capitol with skis on my feet but you guys wouldn't qualify that as skiing i dont think. i couldn't imagine skiing strait down the capitol face with a rope at the ready and lasso a rock to rap while going 600 mph...

I think skiable is a word.

Anyway, fair question. Up to 50 degrees and turns can usually be linked (in my opinion) if the snow is good. 55 to 60 and it's probably just jump turns for me. I inched out onto a 65+ degree line one time but was to scared to remove my axe and make that first jump turn, slowly backed off. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I usually like to turn on the steep snow, but I do have friends who just point them and go. Tom straight lining past the fixed rope in the hourglass on Little Bear.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1847444&postcount=23
(sorry, can't get this photo to show up on 14ers)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:13 pm

So many good lines. Hopefully we get another long spring ski season this year. I will throw out another thought, how about CO peaks that still haven't seen a ski descent? I am sure there are some buried in the San Juan backcountry.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Carl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:00 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:I will throw out another thought, how about CO peaks that still haven't seen a ski descent? I am sure there are some buried in the San Juan backcountry.

That would be sweet. Anyone got any ideas on a CO 13er that hasn't been skied yet? I assume there are a few relatively remote and not so skier friendly peaks that haven't seen tracks.

Postby gb » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Lets get some more eye candy on here! :D

ajkagy, lots of fun looking lines near Marble, including the cleaver. Chair mtn behind the cleaver is high on my list.

Wesley, the line on Maroon is top 5 all-time for me, ski it if you get the chance. Keplinger was pretty fun, too.

skiwall, I need to get out to Utah again soon. The seagull looks pretty sweet.

PrairieView, IMO anything with snow and not water ice can be skied, whether by jump turns or otherwise.

I think that a number of lines and peaks haven't been skied yet, with recent first descents on thunder and lightning pyramids being two examples.

Next