Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Getting over fear of exposure

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Getting over fear of exposure

Postby gurlyclimber » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:30 pm

Yeah bodhi! It's amazing what you can get through when you change your focus. Glad it is working for you. It's changing my life.
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby headeulogy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:22 pm

skydive

Postby ShortOld+Slow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:37 pm

headeulogy wrote:skydive

Nope. I've skydived (tandem) and it's totally different. The visuals are just not the same and you really don't feel exposed. My anxiety was BEFORE I got on the plane. Once we got to altitude I didn't have a problem.
BTW, it was a great experience-highly recommended.
You guys go on ahead-I'll catch up-----No, I'm OK, I'll carry the beer.

Postby Phill the Thrill » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:43 pm

Do a lot of hiking and gradually work your way up. Go with someone who is experienced and learn from them. Talk through your fears with them, and if they're patient they will assure you when you're safe. You should gain confidence and in time the fear will dissipate. I have seen, however, that some are more fearful than others - you may reach a point where you simply want to go no further. That's fine - not everyone has to "climb every mountain."
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney

Postby Mrwaffles989 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 pm

In the summer time, go and find a cliff and jump off of it, into water. deep water. and climb back up if you can. I think that would help you best. Stand on the edge for a while and once you start panicking, let go. This will get you used to being on ledges, cliffs, etc... The feeling is unimaginable. ECSTASY.

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Preparation is essential. Wear clean underwear, and be sure your pants fit properly, especially around the waistline – perhaps consider suspenders. As you ease into the chairlift, be sure the seat is fully extended in a downright position. If it’s even slightly collapsed, the gap between the seat and back may be just wide enough to accommodate an upended torso. If you’ve taken all the precautions, the chances of exposure will be considerably reduced, and you should be free to seat yourself with little trepidation. Should all safeguards fail, however, be sure to keep all hanging bits within the chair at all times, taking special care not to allow any exposed flesh to touch – and perhaps freeze to – any cold metal parts. Finally, relax. There’s nothing you can do at this point, but smile, swing gently in the breeze, and await rescue. And think about what the rest of your life is going to be like, being known as the guy who exposed himself on the chairlift at Vail.

Postby tink » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:15 pm

That's hilarious!
Mountaineering Catholics: Bl Frassati, Pope Pius XI, Pope John Paul II

Postby Aubrey » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:19 pm

ShortOld+Slow wrote:
headeulogy wrote:skydive

Nope. I've skydived (tandem) and it's totally different. The visuals are just not the same and you really don't feel exposed. My anxiety was BEFORE I got on the plane. Once we got to altitude I didn't have a problem.
BTW, it was a great experience-highly recommended.

I agree. When I went skydiving many years ago (in Virginia) I had a huge fear of heights. It was scary as hell when they opened the airplane's door at 13,500 feet, and then jumping out was a bit frightening, but I wasn't so bothered when we started falling. There was no real reference point for how high you are (land was more than 13,000 feet below) ... it was more surreal than anything. And once you start riding that pillow of air, it doesn't really feel like you're falling (and your stomach doesn't get all weird like when you're on a roller coaster going over a hump).

martynda, search the forums on "fear of heights." There have been some great threads on this topic.

Here are a couple quick search results:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14029

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12000&start=15

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:02 pm

Maybe try Scott Rogers' technique! :shock:
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=17388
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby BAUMGARA » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:21 pm

What other's have said about in door rock climbing. Putting yourself in "situations" might help, "situations" such as Pyramid in October, and Challenger in November; don't ask.

Seriously, be it that this is my first year doing climbs, I was exposed to exposure gradually.
-some good class scrambles are a good test of exposure, Saw Tooth is a good one, Kelso Ridge, Key Hole, ect.
-after you've done those do a peak like Pyramid.

Postby ontopoftheworld » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:48 pm

I have always had a moderate fear of exposure. I did Long's last summer and was terrified of the Narrows before ever starting. I was scared s$!tless once I got there, but on the way back down, it was awesome. Now I'm looking at more exposed climbs and thinking I'll never be able to do them. But I'm sure once I get there, I will enjoy it thoroughly.

Like others have said, just keep trying things that are a little out of your comfort zone, and you'll eventually build up a tolerance... and even begin to thrive on it!

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:48 pm

I'm glad this came up; I also have a fear of exposure, but even on the slight-exposures that are on the easiest of 14ers... think the scree-covered trail down Bross back to Kite Lake... I went with a couple, and their son practically sprinted down this - barely touching foot to trail... On the other hand, I was so overly concentrating on every damn step so I wouldn't slip, I wiped out two or three times, and it took me almost 2 hours. I am overweight and not the most athletically inclined, but I was like this back when I was in HS and was well within ideal performing weight. I like to blame the "bigger" me for my balance issues, but reading here it does seem so much of it may be a head game.

Question: Are there any good exposures, not 13,800 feet up on an isolated peak; to practice on... something within an hour drive of Denver that may have a true exposure feel?
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

PreviousNext