Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Getting over fear of exposure

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Getting over fear of exposure

Postby Bodhi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:26 am

Jon Frohlich wrote:
Bodhi wrote:I know Tim offered a few suggestions for the "progression" of exposure....any other climbs/hikes others would suggest? Who's willing to take us up on that 12-pack?

Depending on my schedule I might take you up on it. Let me know what you guys are thinking of doing or if you need more ideas. Ski season is pretty packed but with a bit of notice I could do a Bear Peak climb. The blinders suggestion is also good. I had a climbing partner who used to put a bandanna under her helmet to focus her view to the front. I don't like having my view restricted but it works for some people.

That would be great if the schedules work out Jon...thank you for offering. (Let me know you're beer/food of preference and I'll make sure you're well compensated :) ) I'd like to create an itinerary of possible climbs, so if you can add to our list, please do.

For the first few:
    Bear Peak (heck, even hopping around on the rocks on top of South Boulder Peak could be worthwhile)
    Mt. Sherman

I'm not familiar with Denver area non-14ers...so what else can we add to the list for low-to-moderate exposure?
Peace is every step. ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Postby Mel McKinney » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:22 am

Aubrey wrote:
ShortOld+Slow wrote:
headeulogy wrote:skydive

Nope. I've skydived (tandem) and it's totally different. The visuals are just not the same and you really don't feel exposed. My anxiety was BEFORE I got on the plane. Once we got to altitude I didn't have a problem.
BTW, it was a great experience-highly recommended.

I agree. When I went skydiving many years ago (in Virginia) I had a huge fear of heights. It was scary as hell when they opened the airplane's door at 13,500 feet, and then jumping out was a bit frightening, but I wasn't so bothered when we started falling. There was no real reference point for how high you are (land was more than 13,000 feet below) ... it was more surreal than anything. And once you start riding that pillow of air, it doesn't really feel like you're falling (and your stomach doesn't get all weird like when you're on a roller coaster going over a hump).

Funny. I've thought lately that I'd like to try skydiving. I'm afraid of exposure too, but it surprises me what bothers me and what doesn't. The crux section on Missouri bothered me but some stable bouldering sections that were almost as exposed didn't. Aubrey, I'm glad see you've tried skydiving because I know you overcame your fears and completed the 14ers (all those tough, exposed peaks!). :mrgreen:
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby paul109876 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:29 pm

My 1st trip to Co. I too had exposure issues, but during my stay with the Outward bound folks they took us rock climbing
(which once you know the safety aspects is a blast!!!!) And we did one exercise where we were lead by our partners blind folded with no communication up and over rocks, logs, paths and even over a stream on a rope.

Eliminating the vision factor and communication left your mind wide open to all possibilities but heightened the other senses and all in all made me much more sure footed. That's what helped me.

Now my Wife can climb upward with the best of the goats. Coming down is tougher and my understanding is most injuries occur while coming down. On her 1st trip we were coming down off of Elbert on the southeast side and before we hit tree line it rained like hell. This made the trail muddy and very slick. She freaked after she landed on her bottom a few times and then when she saw me slip and fall, she fell to pieces.

I preached the one step at a time method as well. I made her focus on each step, where she was putting her foot, holding onto the Aspen trees and before you know it we were back to the 4wd trail. That strengthened her belief in her own abilities.

By the way, it stopped storming as soon as we hit the 4wd trail.....................

Know what you are capable of and challenge yourself but respect the mountain at the same time.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby Bodhi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:59 pm

I just stumbled across a thread that addresses "Intro to Class 3" stuff...if anybody's interested. It was a nice find for me as I just moved to Fort Collins :D

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14737
Peace is every step. ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Previous