Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CMC Membership- a poll

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Do you belong to the Colorado Mountain Club?

I belong to the CMC ; I enjoy it and recommend it.
24%
I belong to the CMC, but only to use the occasional perks or support their causes.
11%
I used to belong to the CMC, got what I needed, then quit.
5%
I used to belong; disliked it or it wasn't worth it.
13%
I never belonged; just don't think thy have anything to offer me.
22%
I never belonged; turned off by the bureaucracy and/or attitude.
25%

Total votes : 113

Re: CMC Membership- a poll

Postby covfrrider » Fri May 09, 2008 3:08 pm

Steve Bonowski wrote:Regarding the issue of permits and group size restrictions, CMC has to get permits for its day trips into the Indian Peaks Wilderness and for any activity for which a fee is charged beyond the amount of member dues. These trips include school field trips that go on USFS land and the annual In-State Outing each summer. Every wilderness area in Colorado has a group size limit. Maroon Bells/Snowmass has the most restrictive (without looking it up) with a 10 person limit.

So this is because CMC is a commercial endeavor? An individual and 10 of his friends going snowshoeing in the Mt Evans Wilderness wouldn't fall under these same guidelines?

Postby KeithK » Fri May 09, 2008 3:15 pm

skier25 wrote:
covfrrider wrote: The area they were going to indeed is a Wilderness area, but "pulling a permit" consists of opening the box at the trail head, removing the permit, filling it out and attaching it to your pack.

This is way off topic, but what happens when you get to the trailhead, and there are no more permits left? Do you go through with the hike?

This is apples to oranges; the Wilderness Permits at the trailheads are free use permits, designed to allow the Forest Service to collect usage data. They are not a permission slip or used to track you down in any way. Group permits would be something completely different.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby covfrrider » Fri May 09, 2008 3:23 pm

KeithK wrote:
skier25 wrote:
covfrrider wrote: The area they were going to indeed is a Wilderness area, but "pulling a permit" consists of opening the box at the trail head, removing the permit, filling it out and attaching it to your pack.

This is way off topic, but what happens when you get to the trailhead, and there are no more permits left? Do you go through with the hike?

This is apples to oranges; the Wilderness Permits at the trailheads are free use permits, designed to allow the Forest Service to collect usage data. They are not a permission slip or used to track you down in any way. Group permits would be something completely different.

Right, and as I stated earlier, I couldn't find anything on the http://www.fs.fed.us/ regarding group permits. Not trying to be an Arse, just want someone "in the know" to clarify where the information is available. Please, somebody, cite a reference for group permits in Wilderness areas.

Postby iain » Fri May 09, 2008 3:26 pm

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/passes/brd ... ules.shtml

Permits are required year-round for day and overnight use for large groups (8 or more people) or organizational groups such as scouts, churches, schools and hiking clubs.

Postby covfrrider » Fri May 09, 2008 3:30 pm

iain wrote:http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/passes/brd ... ules.shtml

Permits are required year-round for day and overnight use for large groups (8 or more people) or organizational groups such as scouts, churches, schools and hiking clubs.

So that's for Indian Peaks. Is this an area by area policy?

Postby Jon Frohlich » Fri May 09, 2008 3:32 pm

covfrrider wrote:
iain wrote:http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/passes/brd ... ules.shtml

So that's for Indian Peaks. Is this an area by area policy?

I found one for the Buffalo Peaks area as well.

http://www.sangres.com/nationalforests/sanisabel/buffalopeaks01.htm

I presume it's similar everywhere. I see from the same FS link that some of the other Wilderness areas just limit group size to 12 with no permits.

Postby centrifuge » Fri May 09, 2008 9:32 pm

I was a member, but got caught in the classification issue. I know I could have 'tested' out of it, but it would take too much time (but patience is a virtue i really struggle with). aside from that, they were not really doing the climbs i was interested in.

one important point though... the CMC has sponsored some very cool activities as well as guidebooks... there may be aspects that are annoying, but they do a whole of of good things for the mountaineering community at large. they do act as stewards and i really have a lot of respect for that. I think the biggest reason I would join again is simply to financially support the positive causes they support.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby dcbates80911 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:40 pm

Since I posted a vote, I figured I should speak. I have nothing against the CMC. Met a couple of good and level headed people from this group. However, as I stated in a previous forum post, I am not a fan of a bureaucracy. I believe this group does some good for the climbing community, but at this time it isn't for me. Many people see things differently and I can understand why there is an "elitist" view with this group. Anything Colorado climbing related seems to have the CMC label. But that is probably more related to organization and centralization vs. elitism. There is a difference. Regardless and from my view, I think the CMC serves a valuable purpose, but it isn't the organization for me at this time.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Postby OBC13 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:44 pm

I've been a CMC member since around 1988. It is a good organization and the schools are good. I was a little put off in the beginning that I would have to jump through hoops to get my hiking classifications but the hikes and schools were actually beneficial. There is always something to learn no matter how much time one has spent in the mountains. The organization is not elitist in my opinion. However, I have not been really active in the CMC for quite a while. There are not as many trip offerings that are generally available for the more interesting and challenging climbs. Also, the ones that I have been interested in seem to always be scheduled at the wrong time for me.
OBC13

Postby Hacksaw » Sat May 10, 2008 11:21 am

rijaca wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:My answer to your poll isn't on your poll:

I am not a CMC member, but I am a member of another mountaineering club.

Me too, The DMC. And while membership is open to anybody that can figure out the secret handshake, initiation rites are a bitch.

LOL... #-o

I have been an AAC member since 82'
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Previous