Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snowshoeing?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Snowshoeing?

Postby SikYou » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Anywhere have enough snow to spend a day out snowshoeing? Doesn't have to be a 14er or even a summit hike, just looking for decent snow. I was up in RMNP and found enough snow to keep me happy for the day but I was planning to be up in the Summit county-ish area this weekend.

Thanks!
"Is it an up hill hike all the way to the summit?" Brian L.

Re: Snowshoeing?

Postby opticstalk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi all!
New to the area. I also would like to know where there is day long snowshoeing hiking in and around the front range, Georgetown and Breck?

Postby cougar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:29 am

Cameron Pass has been getting a lot of snow this fall - there was over a foot in mid-October and more now. A lot of the snow is very dry powder and unconsolidated though.

Postby SeracZack » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:00 am

Around Summit County, you may try around Montezuma Road near Santa Fe Peak or the basin around Glacier Peak. I haven't been back there yet this year, but some cross country trails exist back there and may provide a little of what you are looking for.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby scott goldberg » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:55 am

Postby opticstalk » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:02 am

GREAT!!!

Thanks

Postby bguindon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:10 pm

i've always had good early season success on hoosier pass - it goes back quite a ways from what you can only see on the road. breckenridge area is another favorita for snow.
enjoy. 8)

Postby 3rdGenNative » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Hope this website helps you out...

http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/winter_trail_list.htm

Scott - I too am looking at a weekend in Summit Co. Thanks for the link! This give me details on favorite hikes and clues to possible new favorites!
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver

Postby wrxpilot » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:55 pm

There was some decent snow up on Jones Pass last week. I had to hike in about a mile before it was deep enough for snowshoes, but once in there it was pretty good. After this weekend it should be alright.

Postby SikYou » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:03 am

Found some decent snow bushwhacking through James Peak Wilderness, I'm not sure why I didn't think of the JPW in the first place. Thanks for all of the suggestions though, hoping for a nice long snow season this year [-o<
"Is it an up hill hike all the way to the summit?" Brian L.

Postby opticstalk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 am

Good deal. Thanks.
Hopefully a nice long season keep the suggestions coming.

Postby PaliKona » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:48 am

I always enjoy a good snowshoe up Chief Peak. Also Vail Pass, Tennessee Pass, Lily Pad Lake in Summit...