The spring is finally here. Carl has finished his 14er skiing quest with Crestone Needle, Otina and Bill M skied Little Bear (congratulations to all of you), and some of us ski mountaineering newbies have finally checked Quandary off the list. But first things first.
Day 1: Crystal Peak
Approach: Via Francie's hut, with overnight stay @11,300 feet
Partners: Michael and Brian (BKS)
Mileage: 9.1 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,500 feet roundtrip
Time: 1 hr 10 min on Friday + 4 hr 40 min hut-summit-hut + 15 min of deproach
After finishing 14ers last summer, I was struggling to wrap my arms around 13ers (there are so many!), but have recently discovered a great way to enjoy them - to ski them! So when Michael suggested an overnight trip to the Francie's Cabin (one of the huts in the 10th Mountain division) with the possible attempt on Crystal Peak, a Centennial, I was all ears. The hut was booked a few weeks ago, and the wait for the decent weather window began. After a stressful week at my new job, poor diet and no exercise all week due to a stormy weather in Denver, I was ready to get the trip rolling. I drove to the Sprice Creek TH after work on Friday, loaded my pack with overnight gear, and started off from the TH at 7.30pm. My goal was to find the hut before the sunset, so that I wouldn't have to spend the night in the woods, but I took the wrong turn and ended up getting to the hut well after the sunset. Still, I was not complaing about a 2.2 mile/1,000 ft gain gentle hike to kick off the weekend. The eight hour restful sleep in a comfy bed at the hut was nice! Three of us decided to wake up around 6am and get going by 7am.
Spruce Creek TH
Arriving at the Hut on a Friday night to a warm fire and a comfy bed
First look out of the window in the morning - it is nice to preview the conditions
Houston, we have a problem! It is a bluebird morning and way warmer than was implied by the weather forecast, which means we need to get out of the hut NOW! However, mostly because of me, we were not able to leave the house until after 7am. Our saving grace (at least for a while) was a solid overnight freeze.
Looking back in the direction of the hut
Taking a first good look at the basin
Attempting to skin up the icy slope. Tryouts in side hilling commence
Near the headwall, skinning quickly became problematic, so we threw the skis on our backs and aimed to bypass the headwall on the right. I would not recommend this approach unless you have a solid overnight freeze like we had.
Traversing above the headwall
After the headwall, we clicked back into the skis and were able to skin all the way to the summit Natalie skinning
Michael & Brian
Michael and Brian skinning as Peak 10 looks on
Natalie and Brian on the summit, with Pacific Peak in the background
Michael skiing off the summit
Snow conditions up to this point were great - the layers looked to be well bonded, with lots of fresh powder above 13,500 feet, but we were getting worried about the warm temperatures - well above the "high of 37 F" forecasted. We wore base layers almost from the start.
All of us skiing (photo taken by our hut-mates from lower down in the basin)
Brian & Natalie
The ski/snow conditions have been perfect thus far. However, when we got to the headwall, the things have changed - it is been too warm and wet slides were forming by 11.00am. We made it through, but not without kicking off a few loose sluffs.
Michael heading down the headwall
wet slides below the headwall
Back at the hut around noon
All that's left was to pack and head down back to the car
Day 2: Quandary (Cristo Couloir)
Approach: via East ridge
Mileage: 7.1 miles
Elevation Gain: ~3,600 ft
Time: 5 hr 18 min
Encouraged by the spring conditions that we found on Crystal Peak, I decided to stick around Breckenridge for another day and try to hit my old target - Cristo couloir on Quandary. My partner and I attempted it a couple of weeks ago, but turned around as we were not happy with the conditions that that day - very high winds coupled with seemingly poor bonding between layers.
On the face value, both Saturday and Sunday weather forecasts look the same, but they turned out to be quite different. I woke up to the overcast skies and the "mostly cloudy" forecast for the day. Again, not what I was expecting. I spent some time going back and forth - would it mean that the snow won't have a chance to warm up and remain crusty for the ski descent? Should I look elsewhere? After checking and re-checking the forecasts for other potential "targets" and even some driving between Hoosier pass and Frisco, I finally settled on Quandary. I decided to go up the East ridge and assess the conditions on the way up.
I noticed several cars parked at the Monte Cristo TH, which meant that a group (or two) were heading fup Cristo. Sweet - I'll be nice to have beta if I catch up to them on the summit. Back at the standard TH, I take my time to gear up and finally leave the parking lot around 7.25am, behind dozen or so snowshoers.
This is what happens to people who don't carry snowshoes (or skis)
Quandary is sporting great coverage on the East ridge
Pacific looks intriguing as another potential ski descent
Checking out the dam and the south facing couloirs ~13k
The snow feels very grippy and I am able to skin up all the way to the summit
Democrat - North face
Getting ready to ski
First turns off the summit. No billy-goating required
Looking down the line
Hikers on the flank of the couloir
The snow conditions were great. Even on a fairly warm day, cool breeze and overcast skies kept the snow relatively uniform for the entirety of the 2k descent. My main problem was flat light, even though I was wearing googles with the flat light lense.
Sustained pitch of ~35 degrees
A few stops to catch a breath were in order. I did not set any speed records and carefully picked my line through the couloir
Stumbled upon some old wet slide debris. Again, not an issue today, but it could be on a warmer/sunnier day
Fun rocky section to go through towards the bottom of the couloir
Looking back at the line
Skiing all the way back to the car. My first D10 (or is it D9?) ski descent on the books -
which deserved a Bloody Mary at ABasin
My GPS Tracks on Google Maps (made from a .GPX file upload):
Caution: The information contained in this report may not be accurate and should not be the only resource used in preparation for your climb. Failure to have the necessary experience, physical conditioning, supplies or equipment can result in injury or death. 14ers.com and the author(s) of this report provide no warranties, either express or implied, that the information provided is accurate or reliable. By using the information provided, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless 14ers.com and the report author(s) with respect to any claims and demands against them, including any attorney fees and expenses. Please read the 14ers.com Safety and Disclaimer pages for more information.