As a novice 14er hiker, I decided the tenmile/mosquito peaks would be good peaks to get practice on. My Dad was in town so he and I decided to attempt the 4 peak combo.
The NOAA forecast warned us of 20-40 MPH winds with up to 60 MPH gusts with a temperature high of 55F.
We were concerned about the road conditions as we were in a long 2WD buick passenger car. There was no snow but the road was rocky and bumpy so we proceeded slowly. We made it to about a half block from the trailhead. A passenger car can make it near the trailhead, but make sure you pick a good route and go slowly. If you can go in a 4WD or a 2WD with some good clearance you will be happy you did.
We started up the trail to Democrat at about 8:30, and made good time to the Democrat-Cameron saddle.
Democrat from about 1/3 the way up
Looking west from Democrat-Cameron saddle
Around 500' below the summit, Dad put on the microspikes and took out the poles (I opted for no poles and forgot my microspikes at the car) There was some loose rock and wet snow at this point and it was moderately steep but we survived.
On Democrat summit looking back at trail (other 3 peaks in background)
We stayed on the summit for 10 minutes or so and went back to the saddle. At this point we discussed how we were doing physically, (Dad had broken his leg earlier this year, and I have impaired lung capacity) we both felt good so we decided to move on.
Moving up to Cameron was pretty simple, although we noticed the wind starting to pick up pretty quickly. After hitting Cameron we ventured over to Lincoln, but after we descended a 50' snowbank, the wind started to really pick up. There were points where we had to just crouch down and let the wind pass. We were careful on our ascent and decent of Lincoln to remain stable in the midst of the winds and stayed on the summit for only long enough to snap some photos of the surrounding peaks.
Cameron as seen from Lincoln
Bross as seen from Lincoln
Looking east from Lincoln
We then headed over to Bross using a shortcut trail that meant we didn't have to ascent Cameron again. We made it to Bross by 12:40 and were both impressed with our time. We snapped a few photos and headed down.
Lincoln and Cameron as seen from Bross
Looking southeast from Bross
We decided to decend the southwest ridge of Bross to complete the loop. The wind was still blowing strong, and the route had some annoying loose scree. These made for a rather lousy combination and we had to take our time with this decent and we were happy to get to a point where the wind wasn't as strong and the rocks weren't as loose.
We both agreed this was a fantastic hike. While the wind was a bit irritating at times, I'm glad we didn't let the weather report scare us away from an otherwise great day in the mountains.
This puts me up to 9 peaks. I'll hit Sherman in 2 days, and Massive next week. My plans for the rest of the season are to knock out some Sawatch peaks and hopefully Long's this fall.