| 2 Miserians in Rado
27 August 2011
(Hopefully)(Useful) Notes (for the Neophyte):
Left Upper ‘TH’ (gate) and summitted 2 hours later; descended slowly in 1.5 hours. (Note: 30ish year old flatland male in ½ marathon shape)
Did not take poles/sticks, but think they would not of hurt especially as the following 5 days included approx. 45 miles and 36,000’ of elev. gain and (most notably) loss.
Started what I consider late in the morning -0730 yet I only drank 1 liter the entire time (I had taken 1.75 liters)
(An attempt at) Narrative:
Left Missouri at approx. 1230 central
Arrived in what appeared to be commuter parking lot outside of Denver approx. 1:30 MST.
Woke at 5:00 and off to the Sinclair gas station for gas-station-coffee and for Sundance to evacuate his bowels.
Made our way to the upper trailhead at the gate, where we spotted a Ford Windstar Minivan-good work-right on, right on- respect- song should have been about ford windstar minivan and not a chevy van.
We joined the multitudes, including-first and foremost a 6 and 9 year-old girl (both summitted) and made our way to the summit and back down.
This was Sundance’s first mountain summit view and first time west of the Kansas-Colorado border.
Good acclimation hike-nothing like 700’ to 14,000+’ in less then 12 hours.
Note on acclimatization or the lack there of:
(This was one of many times I have done such an acclimatization hike or lack there of)
1. I always keep in mind that even though I have not been affected (perhaps debilitated is a better word, as I have been affected, but too strong) in the past I still may be.
2. I try to keep to a less strenuous hike…though I did land in Colorado hang a storm door and then drive to Crestone Peak/Needle upper trailhead (South Colony Lakes Trailhead) camp overnight at 11,000’ and then proceed to hike up Broken Hand to Capital Peak and back to Broken Hand and THEN up Needle (was not to certain of my capabilities of doing the traverse at the time-mostly dealing with routed finding)
3. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate- I believe it is worth extra pee stops
4. Constantly monitor your physical state…hard to do when alone
5. Hypothesis: if one takes up smoking unfiltered smokes in the months prior to a trip out to elevation and then quits just prior to said trip, will previously experienced hypoxic state(s) aid in acclimatization-mostly just shitting with you-mostly
We made our way to Buena Vista for groceries and a visit to the Trailhead – liked the employees, the older gentleman running the place-not so much, if he is the owner-time to sell out.
On to San Luis Peak and the San Juans: DAY 2 - insert link
ON TRIP REPORTS: Anyone using this site is indebted to the information provided by B. Middlebrook, (most) posters in the forum, and (most) the authors of trip reports. I hope my trip reports our found to be useful and not as worthless as tits on a boar hog…if they are, please cut off the fat.