*NEW* Guide Book for Skiing the CO Mountains!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
lordhelmut
14er Checklist (50)
14ers Skied (21)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (250)

Re: *NEW* Guide Book for Skiing the CO Mountains!

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks Bill. This site and your pics made a lot of difference in the production of the idea and the book.

Carl - thats the 2nd peak from the book you've seen in one week. Thanks for enjoying the book.

Palikona - presentation will be held at flagship REI on 3/4 at 6:30.

FOTM - joke is definitely on you my friend. But the book will be useful from a goin up standpoint. Also from a glutton one as well, unless you are another Boulder vegan.
14erFred
14er Checklist (51)

Postby 14erFred » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:23 am

Congrats to Benners and Lordhelmut on publishing this marvelous guidebook! Gotta get my hands on a copy and savor the fruits of your labors. Way to go, guys! =D> =D> =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
BKS
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (5)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby BKS » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:37 am

My copy just came in the mail. I skipped a day of resort skiing over the weekend to pour over the pages. As someone else on the thread stated, its both informational and inspirational. Great writing, good pictures, well organized format, super informative. I certainly will be giving several of these routes a try this spring. I realize many of the routes will probably remain above my skill set, but its still fun to dream.

It was fun to see which routes were included. Would be interested to see your criteria for including and excluding routes. I also was wondering how pitch was measured. There is some variance compared to Fritz's recently published Tenmile/Mosquito resource.

Fantastic work guys- thanks for your labor of love.
benners
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (50)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (332)

Postby benners » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:44 pm

BKS wrote:My copy just came in the mail. I skipped a day of resort skiing over the weekend to pour over the pages. As someone else on the thread stated, its both informational and inspirational. Great writing, good pictures, well organized format, super informative. I certainly will be giving several of these routes a try this spring. I realize many of the routes will probably remain above my skill set, but its still fun to dream.

It was fun to see which routes were included. Would be interested to see your criteria for including and excluding routes. I also was wondering how pitch was measured. There is some variance compared to Fritz's recently published Tenmile/Mosquito resource.

Fantastic work guys- thanks for your labor of love.

Thanks for the kind words BKS! As for route choices, the main/most obvious requirement was that at least one of us had first hand experience with the route. That narrowed it down to a list of about 130 different descents (roughly). By the time we conceptualized the book in 2011 Brian had skied a lot of 13ers and 12ers while I had skied a lot of 14ers, so at that point we had a fairly diverse list of lines to choose from. We were then able to devote the springs of 2012 and 2013 to finishing off the lines we knew we wanted to include, which rounded out the list even more. As for what landed a line on the final list of 50 (I think we actually included 53 lines total), aesthetics, reliability (i.e. the line being skiable on most average years), and visibility were mostly what we thought about. Many of the lines we wound up choosing are either area classics, or visible from popular ski towns/ski resorts (i.e. Sultan/Silverton, Aetna/Monarch, Holy Cross/Vail, etc) . We also knew we wanted to include a decent amount of introductory descents as well as a few challenging/obscure ones to appeal to the widest range of skiers possible. We also wanted to include 14ers, 13ers, and 12ers, as well as at least 3 descents from every major Colorado range to make the book as diverse as possible. There are definitely routes I wish we had gotten to include that we just didn't have the time to get to, but overall I think the list turned out pretty well.

As for pitch measure, I will admit that we did not go out there with a slope meter and measure each and every one. Not only would that not have been feasible in all cases, but the steepness of these routes does vary based on snow coverage and the exact path a skier decides to take on descent. What we instead tried to provide is what we felt was the maximum slope angle a skier might encounter on a route (which most of the time is at the very top) assuming he/she takes the most conservative option available. For example on Mount Hope there is a more steep/difficult drop in that may measure around 50 degrees in steepness, however by skiing down the ridge a little bit prior to dropping in there should be a mellower option available on most snow years. That mellower option should not measure greater than 40 degrees in steepness save for maybe rare cases, so we listed the max steepness of that route as 42 degrees. More often than not we arrived at these numbers through estimation/the consensus of the group we skied with that day, and the accounts of others who skied these routes and reported on them in the form of a TR or guidebook of their own.

Thanks for the great feedback and questions! 14erFred - thank you sir!
SchralpTheGnar
14er Checklist (50)
14ers Skied (48)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (15)

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Way to go guys, that's really quite an accomplishment. I think I like the diversity of routes and locations the most. Also, that's great advertising for the restaurants that you mention in the book, did you get any sponsorship from any of the establishments?

I know every time I write a TR I try to mention my "black diamond sabertooth crampons" and I just wait for BD to contact me for sponsorship, hasn't happened yet.
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Postby d_baker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:31 pm

SchralpTheGnar wrote:I know every time I write a TR I try to mention my "black diamond sabertooth crampons" and I just wait for BD to contact me for sponsorship, hasn't happened yet.

Don't go so big.
I pimped Kinco and got 4 pairs of gloves. :)
Zambo
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (3)
14ers in Winter (13)
13er Checklist (94)

Postby Zambo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:59 pm

d_baker wrote:Don't go so big.
I pimped Kinco and got 4 pairs of gloves. :)

Hah! You hear that Ben and Brian? This idea is brilliant considering that one, maybe two, pictures in the whole book DON'T feature Kincos! :lol:
"Human beings climb at their peril. Some might think that by climbing a great mountain they have somehow conquered it, but we can be only visitors here."
benners
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (50)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (332)

Postby benners » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:30 am

SchralpTheGnar wrote:Way to go guys, that's really quite an accomplishment. I think I like the diversity of routes and locations the most. Also, that's great advertising for the restaurants that you mention in the book, did you get any sponsorship from any of the establishments?

Thanks Schralp! Not sure yet on the restaurants, but we'll see. I'm sure at least a few of them may give us a free pitcher of beer or something. It's the little things right?

Zambo wrote:Hah! You hear that Ben and Brian? This idea is brilliant considering that one, maybe two, pictures in the whole book DON'T feature Kincos! :lol:

Zambo, I believe Brian has already cashed in on the Kinco gloves deal, but I'm not positive.
mtnfiend
14er Checklist (31)
14ers Skied (9)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (129)

Postby mtnfiend » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Just a reminder about the book signing and presentation tonight at the downtown REI. Starts at 630. Swing by and say hello!

Also, this weekend our boys will be in Salida for another book signing - saturday evening I believe.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/
http://www.berthoudpass.org
@snow_nerd
Dave B
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby Dave B » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:25 pm

Fort Collins, dudes!

What we lack in cool ski town atmosphere (or responsive gear shops) we make up for in killer IPAs. Equinox has Space Ghost and Zenith on draft right now. Just saying...
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir
CorduroyCalves
14er Checklist (15)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby CorduroyCalves » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Great presentation, fellas; it was good to see the both of you. I like how the guidebook has rounded corners. Kinda wish Roach had done that with his. Keep up the good work!
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
SnowAlien
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (32)
14ers in Winter (45)
13er Checklist (245)

Postby SnowAlien » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:27 am

Great presentation at REI last night. Really well done - nice slides, great scenery, routes well explained. I had a chance to leaf through a few chapters at home and was really impressed. There are maps there too! Seriously, fantastic job guys. I also appreciated the locations for post-ski meals! I tend to go to the same old places over and over again so it would be nice to check out a few new ones, especially since they come so highly recommended. Is your next book a Zagat's for Colorado :) ? And I thought you just get by on Pringles and Gatorade :-# Again, congrats on the fantastic job with the guidebook and the presentation.

Return to “Ski/Ride the CO Peaks”