Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info.
User avatar
evolve
Posts: 168
Joined: 7/14/2008
14er Checklist (17)
13er Checklist (20)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby evolve » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:20 pm

rijaca wrote:
Vincopotamus wrote:Spotted some snow on the high, northern aspects of Pigeon and Turret from up around Purg.

You can see the high, northern aspects of Pigeon and Turret from Purg? :roll:

Wait... either I'm failing to internet properly or...

needles.jpg
needles.jpg (100.64 KiB) Viewed 797 times

... yes, you can!
@cruxology
User avatar
rijaca
Posts: 2717
Joined: 7/8/2006
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (230)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby rijaca » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:35 pm

evolve wrote:
rijaca wrote:
Vincopotamus wrote:Spotted some snow on the high, northern aspects of Pigeon and Turret from up around Purg.

You can see the high, northern aspects of Pigeon and Turret from Purg? :roll:

Wait... either I'm failing to internet properly or...

needles.jpg

... yes, you can!


Yep, that is Pigeon and Turret, just not the northern aspects.
Dick says Dump drumpf.
User avatar
evolve
Posts: 168
Joined: 7/14/2008
14er Checklist (17)
13er Checklist (20)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby evolve » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:59 pm

rijaca wrote:
evolve wrote:
rijaca wrote:You can see the high, northern aspects of Pigeon and Turret from Purg? :roll:

Wait... either I'm failing to internet properly or...
...
... yes, you can!


Yep, that is Pigeon and Turret, just not the northern aspects.

Please don't make me prove you wrong. :)

Edit: don't read that as hostile, just playing :)
@cruxology
User avatar
MrJohnnySpot
Posts: 127
Joined: 8/24/2012
14er Checklist (43)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (15)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby MrJohnnySpot » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:25 am

Can anybody comment on how Massive looks today?

Debating a trip up there to do Massive tomorrow AM, if not going for Massive Mania. Looks cold and probably windy but after being on lockdown because of the floods last weekend and having a friend bail on me the weekend before (I was going to do the Loft Route on Longs but now that seems like it's not an option for this season. I'm getting a bit crazy not having been in the mountains in a few weekends, hopefully, the weather will hold tomorrow and there's not much snow left today.
User avatar
2 left ft
Posts: 22
Joined: 3/4/2013
14er Checklist (34)
13er Checklist (21)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby 2 left ft » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:18 am

I saw a dusting on Torres Wed when I was on Parnassus but most of it looked melted on the way down and then lost sight of the summit due to a storm around 2pm.
rbailey23
Posts: 10
Joined: 8/16/2012
14er Checklist (11)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby rbailey23 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:00 am

MrJohnnySpot wrote:Can anybody comment on how Massive looks today?

Debating a trip up there to do Massive tomorrow AM, if not going for Massive Mania. Looks cold and probably windy but after being on lockdown because of the floods last weekend and having a friend bail on me the weekend before (I was going to do the Loft Route on Longs but now that seems like it's not an option for this season. I'm getting a bit crazy not having been in the mountains in a few weekends, hopefully, the weather will hold tomorrow and there's not much snow left today.


MrJohnnySpot, a friend and I are also hoping to do Massive tomorrow, but it looks pretty cold and possibly crappy weather this weekend. I'm hoping someone else replies with an update! The last conditions report was from the 15th. [-o<
bigredmachine
Posts: 242
Joined: 7/30/2012
14er Checklist (44)
13er Checklist (6)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby bigredmachine » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:25 am

Keep in mind if you are using the weather tab on this site/NOAA Massives numbers are coming from 14k, in other words the weather always appears worse on Massive
User avatar
BrianWright
Posts: 16
Joined: 7/31/2013
14er Checklist (30)
Contact:

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby BrianWright » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:35 am

I heard there was snow on Independence Pass, so I am guessing there is snow in the Elks and parts of the Sawatches. Beautiful days yesterday and today, though, so it probably wont last
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." Ernest Hemingway

http://www.coloradomountaineering.com
User avatar
MrJohnnySpot
Posts: 127
Joined: 8/24/2012
14er Checklist (43)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (15)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby MrJohnnySpot » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:33 pm

bigredmachine wrote:Keep in mind if you are using the weather tab on this site/NOAA Massives numbers are coming from 14k, in other words the weather always appears worse on Massive


That's great to know! I didn't realize it was pulling from that high, makes me more optimistic about pulling it off tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I can deal with the cold, if not to pull off the Mania, at least to summit the primary/standard summit (and then run my butt back to the TH/car!).

rbailey23 wrote:
MrJohnnySpot wrote:Can anybody comment on how Massive looks today?

Debating a trip up there to do Massive tomorrow AM, if not going for Massive Mania. Looks cold and probably windy but after being on lockdown because of the floods last weekend and having a friend bail on me the weekend before (I was going to do the Loft Route on Longs but now that seems like it's not an option for this season. I'm getting a bit crazy not having been in the mountains in a few weekends, hopefully, the weather will hold tomorrow and there's not much snow left today.


MrJohnnySpot, a friend and I are also hoping to do Massive tomorrow, but it looks pretty cold and possibly crappy weather this weekend. I'm hoping someone else replies with an update! The last conditions report was from the 15th. [-o<


Sweet! Maybe I'll run into ya'll tomorrow. I'll pretty much be wearing exactly what I have in my avatar photo, though perhaps I'll have my black jacket on over it, and my trekking poles to boot, since the cold/wind should be lovely. But, after having climbed Longs in 30-50mph winds once when it was ~45 out, I'm thinking I can push through it. And, if not, well I'll get outside for a bit and can always try for the summit another day. :)
User avatar
Aug_Dog
Posts: 434
Joined: 6/3/2010
14er Checklist (31)
13er Checklist (16)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby Aug_Dog » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Grizzly and Lenawee from Loveland Pass Thursday morning. The face of Lenawee looked quite filled in compared to the rest of the ridge. The back side of Torreys had a noticeable amount of snow on it, too, from the Chihuahua Gulch side. Really pretty. Sorry for the crappy quality.

http://postimg.org/image/latr6s33j/
Go get it
User avatar
rking007
Posts: 427
Joined: 8/26/2010
14er Checklist (13)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (10)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby rking007 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:27 pm

Aug_Dog wrote:Grizzly and Lenawee from Loveland Pass Thursday morning. The face of Lenawee looked quite filled in compared to the rest of the ridge. The back side of Torreys had a noticeable amount of snow on it, too, from the Chihuahua Gulch side. Really pretty. Sorry for the crappy quality.

http://postimg.org/image/latr6s33j/


You didn't happen to get a shot behind you of the Citadel and Hagar did you? May head up there in the next few days.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
User avatar
BlueKhan
Posts: 91
Joined: 7/10/2011
14er Checklist (27)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Postby BlueKhan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:37 pm

BrianWright wrote:I heard there was snow on Independence Pass, so I am guessing there is snow in the Elks and parts of the Sawatches. Beautiful days yesterday and today, though, so it probably wont last


My brother did North Maroon this morning and said there was most definitely snow and ice...particularly in the chimney/rock band area.

Return to “14ers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests