Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Craig Cook
14er Checklist (15)
13er Checklist (4)

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby Craig Cook » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:10 am

No beautiful skiing/snowboarding in Kansas City, just lots and lots of shoveling. Do I get a snowflake if I climb this? What if traverse the ridge? \:D/

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
Bean
14er Checklist (29)
14ers Skied (28)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby Bean » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:41 pm

FRIGGIN SHREDDIN ZAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOO >>WHOOSH<<

Loveland was pretty OK today.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Vail was PRIMO today. Knee-deep in many areas and it just wouldn't stop snowing.
PaliKona
14er Checklist (20)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby PaliKona » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Same at Winter Park today...best day of the last two years for me. Got a number a faceshots in the Eaglewind area. Big smiles all around.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:50 pm

PaliKona wrote:Same at Winter Park today...best day of the last two years for me. Got a number a faceshots in the Eaglewind area. Big smiles all around.

Nice! I almost forgot what it was like to snort snow all day. :-D
PaliKona
14er Checklist (20)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby PaliKona » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Agree!!! The first one sent me into laughing fit
Let's hope this keeps up, not just for the sake of more pow days
livetothemax96
14er Checklist (10)
14ers Skied (5)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (14)

Postby livetothemax96 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Snow was amazing! Definitely caught us by surprise!

This was Berthoud on Saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwnZix8PzBg&feature=share
whats life unless you live it?
MuchosPixels
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Vail was awesome last friday!

https://vimeo.com/60876320
randalmartin
14er Checklist (45)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (20)

Postby randalmartin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:12 pm

If you don't pray, now would be a good time to start. Let's hope this weekend turns out to be the BIG storm being forecasted here http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

If you are too lazy, here is the summary for Saturday

"As the storm moves closer to Colorado, it has the potential to move into a perfect spot in southeastern Colorado to create a massive upslope storm for areas along and east of the continental divide. An "upslope storm" is the regional name used for a storm that creates winds from the east. These winds "upslope" from 4,000ft in elevation at the Kansas/Colorado border to over 13,000ft along the continental divide. This creates exceptional lift, which cools the air and condenses mositure into snow.

This storm has the potential to create easterly winds from the surface all the way up to about 35,000ft, the elevation where airliners fly. If this happens, it is highly likely that many feet of snow will fall somewhere in a region from Denver north to Wyoming and from the Kansas / Colorado border in the east to the continental divide to the west. It's too early to know exactly where and when the heaviest snow will fall, but this storm has the potential to be a big one. Also, if we can get easterly upslope winds all the way up to 35,000ft, deep accumulations will result along and just west of the divide, so areas like Winter Park, Loveland, Abasin, and Keystone could do well, in addition to the higher certainty that big snow falls on Eldora."
cory1223oh
14er Checklist (20)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby cory1223oh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:24 pm

The best part of that OpenSnow forecast "Stay tuned...I don't want to cry wolf over this storm, but it sure is looking good. On the low side, I would at least expect 6-12 inches for many of these areas. On the high side, we could be measuring the snow in feet."
livetothemax96
14er Checklist (10)
14ers Skied (5)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (14)

Postby livetothemax96 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:25 pm

randalmartin wrote:If you don't pray, now would be a good time to start. Let's hope this weekend turns out to be the BIG storm being forecasted here http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

If you are too lazy, here is the summary for Saturday

"As the storm moves closer to Colorado, it has the potential to move into a perfect spot in southeastern Colorado to create a massive upslope storm for areas along and east of the continental divide. An "upslope storm" is the regional name used for a storm that creates winds from the east. These winds "upslope" from 4,000ft in elevation at the Kansas/Colorado border to over 13,000ft along the continental divide. This creates exceptional lift, which cools the air and condenses mositure into snow.

This storm has the potential to create easterly winds from the surface all the way up to about 35,000ft, the elevation where airliners fly. If this happens, it is highly likely that many feet of snow will fall somewhere in a region from Denver north to Wyoming and from the Kansas / Colorado border in the east to the continental divide to the west. It's too early to know exactly where and when the heaviest snow will fall, but this storm has the potential to be a big one. Also, if we can get easterly upslope winds all the way up to 35,000ft, deep accumulations will result along and just west of the divide, so areas like Winter Park, Loveland, Abasin, and Keystone could do well, in addition to the higher certainty that big snow falls on Eldora."

However, the snow is supposed to have such a high moisture content that skiing will be futile. So I would recomend staying home and drinking warm drink :wink:
whats life unless you live it?
Bean
14er Checklist (29)
14ers Skied (28)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby Bean » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 pm

livetothemax96 wrote:However, the snow is supposed to have such a high moisture content that skiing will be futile. So I would recomend staying home and drinking warm drink :wink:

If this storm really goes off, trying to get up to ski could be futile, in which case I'll be on Morrison Slide/Red Rocks/Dakota Ridge/Green Mountain. If I can get there.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”