Mount Sopris

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BrentManDo
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (1)

Mount Sopris

Post by BrentManDo »

Do any of you know the distance from the Thomas Lakes Trailhead (parking lot) to the West Summit of Mount Sopris? I hiked it, and can't find the distance in print anywhere. Thanks for any help.

Brent
JeffX
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JeffX »

Seven miles from Thomas lakes, as far as I know.
Cheers,

-Jeff
iceman
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by iceman »

It is a little over 4 miles from the parking area to the south end of Thomas Lakes and a little over 3 miles from the south end of Thomas lakes to west Sopris peak. It is close to a 15 mile round trip if you summit the east and west peaks.
BrentManDo
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by BrentManDo »

thanks!!!!!!!!!!
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Seven miles from Thomas lakes, as far as I know.
Okay, okay, its time to dispel a few myths about the distance on Sopris, because I have been hearing way to many people claim that the hike is "like 16 miles," "17 miles", "19 miles," etc.

The actual distance is 3 miles to Thomas Lakes (one way) and another 3 to the main (East) summit. The west summit adds another 2 miles round trip to the climb making the total distance from the Dinkle Lake trailhead 12 miles to the main (East) summit and 14 to the West summit. All of these links confirm this distance as does Warren Ohlrich's excellent book Aspen & Central Colorado Trails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sopris
http://www.hikingincolorado.org/sopr.html
http://www.climber.org/TripReports/2000/686.html

Many people backpack in to Thomas Lakes and then climb from there, but no matter how you do it, it is a long day with 4,000 feet of elevation gain. Also, make sure you get an early start as Sopris is the highest western point in the Elk range and usually serves as a battering ram for all incoming thunderstorms.

Good luck and have fun,

kaiman
iceman
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by iceman »

It is close to a 15 mile round trip
14 is pretty close to 15 :D