Wisconsin High Point for TM

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Skip Perkins
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Wisconsin High Point for TM

Post by Skip Perkins »

I awoke this morning at 1 am filled with excitement over my trek to the summit of Timm's Hill in Wisconsin for TM. I then remembered that it was only a 90 minute drive and a 4 minute hike so I rolled over and slept soundly until about 8. After a great breakfast at the Brickhouse Cafe in Cable I headed south towards Timm's Hill. Upon arrival at the trailhead I had to decide whether to use my ice axe and crampons but since it has been over 90 degrees for the past 5 days and the last snow melted 3 months ago I decide to stick with my Tevas.

ImageImageImage[img]

I checked the marker to be sure I was on top of Wisconsin and then started the descent back to my new Rubicon.
I kept in mind that getting back down was mandatory and I was also looking forward to the pizza and beer at Beau Jeaus but since I wasn't near Beau Jeau's I settled for an A&W in Phillips, Wisc.
Last edited by Skip Perkins on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
colson
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colson »

Nice job Skip. Another one in honor of TM!
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

That was a risky stratagy, attempting the summit without crampons, but at least you brought the important stuff: Mountain Dew and whip cream! Congrats! :D

I confess that I actually brought my ice axe with me to Mt. Arvon, MI base camp back in May. It's become an essential part of my camping gear with or without snow and ice.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
2_Salukis
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 2_Salukis »

Hmmm...any issues with altitude sickness? How well was it marked - any way to end up sumiting Charles Mound, Eagle Mountain or Hawkeye Point by mistake? Did you use the 3000-foot standard?

I looked for a more complete Trip Report, but didn't find one.
Skip Perkins
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Skip Perkins »

OK, I really didn't want to get into the technical aspect of my climb because I didn't want some weekender non-Wisconsin climbers to try this and get hurt but since you insist: I set up a base camp at 1751 feet and then carried the Mountain Dew up to about 1875. After a brief time at that altitude I descended to 1751 and picked up the whip cream. Getting the whip cream up was a challenge because of the temptation to devour it. I then took the whip cream to the high point and went down for the mountain dew. I was lucky with the Dew because some Illinois teenagers were ready to highjack my gear when I got back down to 1875. From the high point I assaulted the tower with both items and was proud that I didn't use my rope/
Yes, I did use the 3000 inch rule but barely.
Please don't try this if you usually use the escalator at the mall but if you use the stairs regularly - Go fot it!!!
vr64ever
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vr64ever »

2_Salukis wrote:Hmmm...any issues with altitude sickness? How well was it marked - any way to end up sumiting Charles Mound, Eagle Mountain or Hawkeye Point by mistake? Did you use the 3000-foot standard?

I looked for a more complete Trip Report, but didn't find one.
Yes he use the 300' rule, he started in Lake Michigan about 1100' down. :shock: