A more permenant memorial to TalusMonkey?

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
luigi
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by luigi »

My suggestion would be to have a rock carried from the top of one of his favorite mountains, brought down, etched with a special saying or his name and what ever and taken back up, not to deface the mountain and people can visit and see.

But having a mountain named for him, is just not fathomable. I understand that his death was tragic and he was very popular here. But naming a mountain after him because of his popularity, would not be right he would not want that, because he knows that there are so many other Colorado 14er/Mountaineering individuals through the years that deserve it much more. Some still alive/ Gary Neptune, John
Fielder/ and another guy we follow so close Gerry Roach.
SarahT
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 670 168
Trip Reports (75)

Post by SarahT »

luigi wrote:My suggestion would be to have a rock carried from the top of one of his favorite mountains, brought down, etched with a special saying or his name and what ever and taken back up, not to deface the mountain and people can visit and see.

But having a mountain named for him, is just not fathomable. I understand that his death was tragic and he was very popular here. But naming a mountain after him because of his popularity, would not be right he would not want that, because he knows that there are so many other Colorado 14er/Mountaineering individuals through the years that deserve it much more. Some still alive/ Gary Neptune, John
Fielder/ and another guy we follow so close Gerry Roach.
I agree luigi. Climbing the 14ers and a few other mountains and having a tragic accident doesn't qualify you to have a mountain named after you, no matter how popular you were amongst mostly people who've never even met you. Its not appropriate and I think the idea would be met with much opposition by the veteran climbing community and the powers that be. It seems like its been hard even to name mountains after mountaineers who had dedicated their lives to the Colorado mountains. Something along the lines of luigi's suggestion is much more appropriate. David was a friend to many, but in this emotional time we still have to be in touch with reality.
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

Lately I've found myself thinking about what David would want. He wouldn't want a plaque or anything placed in the wilderness. He may not even want an entire mountain named after him (regardless whether it's feasible or not). Above all else, I just think he'd want everyone to remember him. I've started a new thread with an idea I had last week, but let it sit in my mind for a while.

http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=62248#62248
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

CODave,

I am with you, I am not convinced David would want a mountain named after him either. If I had to guess I would tend to think he would not like the idea. I think in the end we will all have some personal way we will remember him and as long as we all keep hiking / climbing (as he would want us to do) he will be happy and his spirit will be with with all of us.
Andy
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Andy »

CODave wrote:Lately I've found myself thinking about what David would want. He wouldn't want a plaque or anything placed in the wilderness. He may not even want an entire mountain named after him...
I think this is good. Let the people that knew him best suggest ways to honor him - taking into account what he would have wanted. IMHO people who have never met him, never climbed with him, never shared a beer with him, shouldn't really be making these types of suggestions.

For the record, if I meet my demise in the hills I certainly don't want anything named after me that already has a name (be it official or unofficial) or for which I can't claim a first ascent.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com
joe-g
14ers: 58 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joe-g »

Are you kidding me? Who wouldn't want a mountain named after them? I would love it. Name one after me!
My point is, not to be disrespectful, but if everyone who loved mountains and died got one named after him or her, we would have mountains changing names all the time. It is a noble effort, to memorialize a friend. But a segment of society thinks we are crazy for putting ourselves at risk by being in these high places. Why would they (congressmen and USGS) support the naming of a mountain after an individual who perished in the backcountry, no matter how popular he was on a website? Especially if they are not climbers like us?
What is so bad about a plaque on Humboldt? I think a plaque is a great way to memorialize him. I don't think that a simple, small plaque would in any way wreck the wilderness area. I've been on a few peaks with plaques, and they are good reminders to be careful. You can't even see them from 50 feet away, unless you know they are there.
-my .02
Andy
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Andy »

joe-g wrote:Are you kidding me? Who wouldn't want a mountain named after them? I would love it. Name one after me!
My point is, not to be disrespectful, but if everyone who loved mountains and died got one named after him or her, we would have mountains changing names all the time. It is a noble effort, to memorialize a friend. But a segment of society thinks we are crazy for putting ourselves at risk by being in these high places. Why would they (congressmen and USGS) support the naming of a mountain after an individual who perished in the backcountry, no matter how popular he was on a website? Especially if they are not climbers like us?
What is so bad about a plaque on Humboldt? I think a plaque is a great way to memorialize him. I don't think that a simple, small plaque would in any way wreck the wilderness area. I've been on a few peaks with plaques, and they are good reminders to be careful. You can't even see them from 50 feet away, unless you know they are there.
-my .02
I never met the man. Did you?

Obviously some people's wilderness ethic is different than others. My only point is that people that actually knew him should be making these types of suggestions. Personally, I would roll over in my grave if somebody put a up a plaque in Wilderness in my honor (not that anyone would). People like CODave would know how TalusMonkey would feel about this type of memorial.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

joe-g wrote:Are you kidding me? Who wouldn't want a mountain named after them? I would love it. Name one after me!
My point is, not to be disrespectful, but if everyone who loved mountains and died got one named after him or her, we would have mountains changing names all the time.
The mountain that is being discussed doesn't currently have a name.
joe-g wrote:What is so bad about a plaque on Humboldt?
The fact that it's not allowed.
luigi
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by luigi »

SarahT wrote: I agree luigi. Climbing the 14ers and a few other mountains and having a tragic accident doesn't qualify you to have a mountain named after you, no matter how popular you were amongst mostly people who've never even met you. Its not appropriate and I think the idea would be met with much opposition by the veteran climbing community and the powers that be. It seems like its been hard even to name mountains after mountaineers who had dedicated their lives to the Colorado mountains. Something along the lines of luigi's suggestion is much more appropriate. David was a friend to many, but in this emotional time we still have to be in touch with reality.
Thanks SarahT
I think people need to keep things in perspective here.