Kite Lake Snow

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nedryarson
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 73 3 1
Trip Reports (2)

Kite Lake Snow

Post by nedryarson »

Anyone care to offer an estimate on how much snow the Kite Lake area picked up in last night's storm? I don't own snowshoes and have been planning/hoping to tackle the Lincoln group with microspikes only but don't want a postholing nightmare.
yeahbgraff
14ers: 58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kite Lake Snow

Post by yeahbgraff »

Check the trip reports. Sounds like there is quite a bit of snow up there already. I had over the boot snow up there in Mid-August.
The Moose
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by The Moose »

I summited Democrat on Saturday and there was minimal to no snow at the trailhead, and up to 1-1.5 feet near the summit. Most of the hike was in 4-8 inches of snow, which was mostly powder. I did not feel I needed microspikes, some hikers had them though. Above 14k was the only point it got over my boots. Gaiters very helpful.
Now, bring me that horizon!
zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Bump bump

Hello! I just wanted to hnow how much snow is up there. Wish to do some winter camping, maybe build a snow cave if there is enough snow and try for a 14er the next day.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

There will be in a couple of days...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Im looking at weather for the next week and looks like it will dump, hoping to wait for another week and maybe catch some sunshine?